There are 568 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Odell Beckham Jr-WR-LSU

Originally posted by Andra:
Your right , but the AJ Jenkins pick was a Huge swing and a miss gotta make you wonder

Why is it huge? It was the 30th pick, not Top 10. There are plenty of late first round busts in the NFL. Not that big of a miss imo.
Originally posted by Andra:
1 bad 1st round pick out of 3. Let's see that's a 66% success rate. Thats a D. But the question is not his ability to pick 1st round talent but his evaluation of WR's. AJ Jenkins was not ranked above a 3rd round talent on anyone's board as far as I know. That is cause for concern. It doesn't mean that he can't evaluate WR's but it does leave room for questioning in the real world

Look up a GM that has a 90% success rate on first round picks, especially picking late in the round. This isn't your 4th grade spelling test, and the scoring scale is far different than you imagine. NO ONE hits all the time, or even close to it.
Back on topic, Beckham could very possibly drop to #30, with the crazy talent in this draft, it will depend on needs and preferences of each team when they pick. I think he could be a stud, but there are so many great options in this draft that it gets hard to get too excited about any one player.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Back on topic, Beckham could very possibly drop to #30, with the crazy talent in this draft, it will depend on needs and preferences of each team when they pick. I think he could be a stud, but there are so many great options in this draft that it gets hard to get too excited about any one player.

For what it's worth, McShay has him going 21st to the Packers.

McShay is one draft prognosticator I truly respect. He's so much better than Kiper it's not even close.

He also has Cooks going ahead of Lee & Beckham, and I think he's right. I actually think Cooks is the best WR in the entire draft.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 147
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Andra:
1 bad 1st round pick out of 3. Let's see that's a 66% success rate. Thats a D. But the question is not his ability to pick 1st round talent but his evaluation of WR's. AJ Jenkins was not ranked above a 3rd round talent on anyone's board as far as I know. That is cause for concern. It doesn't mean that he can't evaluate WR's but it does leave room for questioning in the real world

Look up a GM that has a 90% success rate on first round picks, especially picking late in the round. This isn't your 4th grade spelling test, and the scoring scale is far different than you imagine. NO ONE hits all the time, or even close to it.

I'm
Originally posted by Andra:
I'm

The very model of a modern major general?

Tired of these m$%#!@*#%!n snakes on this m$%#!@*#%!n plane?

Iron Man?

Also a client?

Your worst nightmare?

Here to kick ass and chew bubblegum and you're all out of bubblegum?
Originally posted by Andra:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Andra:
1 bad 1st round pick out of 3. Let's see that's a 66% success rate. Thats a D. But the question is not his ability to pick 1st round talent but his evaluation of WR's. AJ Jenkins was not ranked above a 3rd round talent on anyone's board as far as I know. That is cause for concern. It doesn't mean that he can't evaluate WR's but it does leave room for questioning in the real world

Look up a GM that has a 90% success rate on first round picks, especially picking late in the round. This isn't your 4th grade spelling test, and the scoring scale is far different than you imagine. NO ONE hits all the time, or even close to it.

I'm

The Real...
Originally posted by Andra:
1 bad 1st round pick out of 3. Let's see that's a 66% success rate. Thats a D. But the question is not his ability to pick 1st round talent but his evaluation of WR's. AJ Jenkins was not ranked above a 3rd round talent on anyone's board as far as I know. That is cause for concern. It doesn't mean that he can't evaluate WR's but it does leave room for questioning in the real world

Which boards are you referring to ? Those of the TV/media analysts and keyboard pundits ? There are loads of examples of players who didn't get the TV and or internet hype and get drafted much earlier than what those types had thought or heard. But when we took Jenkins, there was immediate chatter on TV and online that the Rams had AJ Jenkins in there sights at the top of round 2.

From Jim Thomas of the St.Louis Dispatch : http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-miss-out-on-jenkins/article_02ddc12d-b649-5ef0-84f4-02f6487fb11d.html

One of the reasons the Rams were not overly flustered about missing out on wide receivers Justin Blackmon of Oklahoma State and Michael Floyd of Notre Dame is they felt they have very good wideout options at the top of the second round.

But one of the most-coveted of those options, A.J. Jenkins of the University of Illinois, was snatched away by San Francisco with the 30th pick — or third-to-last selection — of the first round.

How coveted?

League sources told the Post-Dispatch on Thursday afternoon that the Rams liked Jenkins so much that his grade wasn't much different than the one given Blackmon by the team's personnel department. Blackmon was the first wide receiver taken in the draft, going No. 5 to Jacksonville (which traded up with Tampa Bay for the pick.)


From Eric Branch : http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/04/26/day-1-nfl-draft/

7:48 p.m.: The 49ers select Illinois WR A.J. Jenkins, which is a bit of a shocker. Jenkins (6-0, 192), who was viewed as a second-round pick, had 90 catches for 1,276 yards and eight touchdowns in 2011 and was a first-team, all-Big Ten selection. Jenkins at No. 30 isn't too far from where he was expected to be drafted. In fact, it's somewhat similar to San Francisco's selection of Aldon Smith at No. 7 last year.
[ Edited by KRS-1 on Apr 12, 2014 at 7:19 AM ]
Originally posted by Andra:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Andra:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Baalke's 0 for 1 in the first round on WRs, and then he's spent 2 late-6th-round picks on WRs (and what do you really expect out of a late-6th-ronud WR?) and he's drafted Patton in the 4th. Not exactly a huge sample size to convict him of wide-receiver-ineptitude. And Jenkins is Baalke's only bust in the first round so far.

Your right , but the AJ Jenkins pick was a Huge swing and a miss gotta make you wonder

Absolutely. Drafting a 1st round bust is outrageous. No other team ever does it.

Can't help feeling there needs to be an expectation readjustment round here. To touch base with the real world.
1 bad 1st round pick out of 3. Let's see that's a 66% success rate. Thats a D. But the question is not his ability to pick 1st round talent but his evaluation of WR's. AJ Jenkins was not ranked above a 3rd round talent on anyone's board as far as I know. That is cause for concern. It doesn't mean that he can't evaluate WR's but it does leave room for questioning in the real world

This is just blather. Baalke's drafting and his free agency work has been little short of phenomenal. That is a general appraisal, not a home team board appraisal. You put the failure of Jenkins down to Baalke. I tend to put the failure of Jenkins down to Jenkins. And if it is an evaluation failing, why does it necessarily fall on Baalke? Do the scouts bear no responsibility?

Anyway I suggest you check the bust rate of first round picks and particularly of 1st round wide receivers around the NFL before you park a D on Baalke for one failure.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Andra:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Andra:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Baalke's 0 for 1 in the first round on WRs, and then he's spent 2 late-6th-round picks on WRs (and what do you really expect out of a late-6th-ronud WR?) and he's drafted Patton in the 4th. Not exactly a huge sample size to convict him of wide-receiver-ineptitude. And Jenkins is Baalke's only bust in the first round so far.

Your right , but the AJ Jenkins pick was a Huge swing and a miss gotta make you wonder

Absolutely. Drafting a 1st round bust is outrageous. No other team ever does it.

Can't help feeling there needs to be an expectation readjustment round here. To touch base with the real world.
1 bad 1st round pick out of 3. Let's see that's a 66% success rate. Thats a D. But the question is not his ability to pick 1st round talent but his evaluation of WR's. AJ Jenkins was not ranked above a 3rd round talent on anyone's board as far as I know. That is cause for concern. It doesn't mean that he can't evaluate WR's but it does leave room for questioning in the real world

This is just blather. Baalke's drafting and his free agency work has been little short of phenomenal. That is a general appraisal, not a home team board appraisal. You put the failure of Jenkins down to Baalke. I tend to put the failure of Jenkins down to Jenkins. And if it is an evaluation failing, why does it necessarily fall on Baalke? Do the scouts bear no responsibility?

Anyway I suggest you check the bust rate of first round picks and particularly of 1st round wide receivers around the NFL before you park a D on Baalke for one failure.

Here,Here.....the draft is and always will be a bit of a crap shoot. One is not picking robots ,their picking people, with all the foibles and variables that people have.(like my spelling)
[ Edited by highway49 on Apr 12, 2014 at 9:43 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
This is just blather. Baalke's drafting and his free agency work has been little short of phenomenal. That is a general appraisal, not a home team board appraisal. You put the failure of Jenkins down to Baalke. I tend to put the failure of Jenkins down to Jenkins. And if it is an evaluation failing, why does it necessarily fall on Baalke? Do the scouts bear no responsibility?

Anyway I suggest you check the bust rate of first round picks and particularly of 1st round wide receivers around the NFL before you park a D on Baalke for one failure.

I agree with almost all of this. I think Jenkins might also be an example of the risk the Niners take when they disguise their interest in a player. Perhaps having some more face to face time with AJ, or a personal workout, could have revealed his personality to be that of a passionless puszy. Who knows? It's clear that he had the physical tools to succeed, but not the toughness or determination.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 15,302
Justis Mosqueda ‏@JuMosq

Some more rumors from the league: 1) Pittsburgh loves Odell Beckham, Jr. 2) San Francisco really wants to jump them for him
Originally posted by Jcool:
Justis Mosqueda ‏@JuMosq

Some more rumors from the league: 1) Pittsburgh loves Odell Beckham, Jr. 2) San Francisco really wants to jump them for him

Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Justis Mosqueda ‏@JuMosq

Some more rumors from the league: 1) Pittsburgh loves Odell Beckham, Jr. 2) San Francisco really wants to jump them for him


If we our jumping up into the top 15 it better not be for Beckham. Better be for Gilbert or Evans if it is going to cost a 2nd round pick.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Justis Mosqueda ‏@JuMosq

Some more rumors from the league: 1) Pittsburgh loves Odell Beckham, Jr. 2) San Francisco really wants to jump them for him


If we our jumping up into the top 15 it better not be for Beckham. Better be for Gilbert or Evans if it is going to cost a 2nd round pick.

Yea makes NO sense