LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

Derek Carr- Future 49ers backup QB?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
We had one carr already N he sucked thoughout his years in tha NFL so is this carr any better is what im wonderin??

To be fair, Carr V1.0 was an amazing quarterback. He had perhaps the tightest spiral I've ever seen, cannon arm, awareness, intelligence, all the tools to be a great NFL QB but he got beatdown like I've seen few QB's beat down, I mean he was sacked so many times the first few seasons in Houston that I don't think he ever recovered, dude ended up with some form of PTSD, he always looked shell-shocked afterwards. I have a friend I was in the Army with who is a NY Giants fan, huge fan, attends a lot of the games and he says that during the preseason and even warmups, if you didn't know who was who, Carr looked like a better QB than Eli. Incredible precision, throwing with high velocity....however as soon as he gets into a game, his eyes glaze over and he gets that deer in the headlights look going. Houston ruined what could have been, should have been, a pretty good NFL career.

This. Better than i could say it.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
We had one carr already N he sucked thoughout his years in tha NFL so is this carr any better is what im wonderin??

To be fair, Carr V1.0 was an amazing quarterback. He had perhaps the tightest spiral I've ever seen, cannon arm, awareness, intelligence, all the tools to be a great NFL QB but he got beatdown like I've seen few QB's beat down, I mean he was sacked so many times the first few seasons in Houston that I don't think he ever recovered, dude ended up with some form of PTSD, he always looked shell-shocked afterwards. I have a friend I was in the Army with who is a NY Giants fan, huge fan, attends a lot of the games and he says that during the preseason and even warmups, if you didn't know who was who, Carr looked like a better QB than Eli. Incredible precision, throwing with high velocity....however as soon as he gets into a game, his eyes glaze over and he gets that deer in the headlights look going. Houston ruined what could have been, should have been, a pretty good NFL career.

This. Better than i could say it.

I guess I saw carr after that--he had that push the ball type throwing motion which didn't look like it generated much velocity
Had to shut off the game for my wife and daughter, but Carr passed Paul Pinegar for all time scored tonight. On the half he was 19-30, 287, 3 TD's, 0 INT.
I am 110% with the OP, that if there is value at qb in round 2, I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat to get an upgrade at qb #2 for the Niners. I posted this before and got fried because people feel you can wait to get a 7th rounder qb or an UDFA or veteran.

Look at the Rams, Bradford goes down, they are screwed.

QB is the MOST important position in the NFL. To spend a second round pick, (which carries a cap friendly number) is wise.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Well if Carr last till the second round you have to be damn sure he's not gonna last till the end of it. Give me Aaron Murray in the 3rd.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Well if Carr last till the second round you have to be damn sure he's not gonna last till the end of it. Give me Aaron Murray in the 3rd.

I would be happy with Murray also. I simply want a qb that will be the #2 for the four year contract.
Had to shut off the game for my wife and daughter, but Carr passed Paul Pinegar for all time scored tonight. On the half he was 19-30, 287, 3 TD's, 0 INT.

f**k Paul Pinegar son of a b***h should've beat USC
anyways being from the Fresno area I've been able to see almost every Fresno State game, my only concern would be seeing what Carr could do in a balanced attack where he had to handoff a lot early in the game.
He did have that awesome game against Boise. I left that game very impressed with him.
Interesting.

I don't think we'll use a 2nd - not at this point.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Interesting.

I don't think we'll use a 2nd - not at this point.

may depend on how well that hangnail on the pinkie toe progresses
Another Great game from Carr tonight. Making a strong case for himself as a first rounder.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Another Great game from Carr tonight. Making a strong case for himself as a first rounder.

Great for a team to trade up with us and select him. Jags, Bucs, Vikings, Texans, Rams, Browns, Cards are likely to be looking for a QB in the early rounds.

I'm sure you noticed that Davante tied Henry Ellard's record for most TD receptions during the season (1982).
I watched his Rutgers game early in the year and came away unimpressed.

I didn't see the Nevada game, but the plays are posted on YouTube (as unbelievable as it sounds, I don't watch every college game)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFtuTb9OYZI

So.....can someone tell me where he makes an impressive NFL-type throw? I didn't count but I'd say in the Nevada game, 60% of the passes are screens, same thing with the Rutgers game. My biggest take away from Rutgers game was his passing stats were mostly the product of talented WRs and offensive scheme, but he was terrible making decisions, locks on WRs, accuracy significantly suffers on mid range passes. I see the same thing in the Nevada clip.

I might check again, but in the Nevada game it looks like he goes for about 5 or 15 on passes greater than 10 yards....

Not to mention going from a shotgun 5 wide WR formation constantly to an NFL offense is going to be a HUGE change.

He has one real nice throw at about 1:15 for a 30 yard strike where the WR had beaten the DB by 2 steps, but the ball was thrown with a lot of air under it and ended up being a bit behind the WR. Its the type of thing where an NFL type DB can giveth and taketh away.
Share 49ersWebzone