LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Will Sutton dun goofed

Sutton went from about 270 to over 300 pounds and it has really been hurting him, he's still done decently but he's nowhere near the same player, has lost a considerable amount of quickness, its pretty clear that he's not going to be able to play in the NFL at that weight. He clearly fattened up and it has been detrimental to his game as a whole.

Arizona State DT Will Sutton is viewed as an enigma in NFL circles. The 6-foot-1, 307-pound interior defender entered the season regarded as one of the best pass rushers in the country after posting 12 sacks a season ago, but scouts I've talked to are wondering if Sutton has lost his edge after gaining nearly 20 pounds in the offseason. Talking to several evaluators at the Arizona State-Wisconsin game this weekend, I had a few guys tell me that Sutton looks sluggish and lacks the explosiveness that was a hallmark of his game in 2012. An AFC North personnel executive told me that Sutton has added "bad weight" and that his weight gain has taken away from his biggest assets -- speed and quickness. An NFC West scout suggested to me that Sutton needs to get in better shape and get his motor running to become the difference-maker some envision as a situational interior rusher in the NFL.

Yeah dude has some serious fat-cepts going on.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Sutton went from about 270 to over 300 pounds and it has really been hurting him, he's still done decently but he's nowhere near the same player, has lost a considerable amount of quickness, its pretty clear that he's not going to be able to play in the NFL at that weight. He clearly fattened up and it has been detrimental to his game as a whole.

Arizona State DT Will Sutton is viewed as an enigma in NFL circles. The 6-foot-1, 307-pound interior defender entered the season regarded as one of the best pass rushers in the country after posting 12 sacks a season ago, but scouts I've talked to are wondering if Sutton has lost his edge after gaining nearly 20 pounds in the offseason. Talking to several evaluators at the Arizona State-Wisconsin game this weekend, I had a few guys tell me that Sutton looks sluggish and lacks the explosiveness that was a hallmark of his game in 2012. An AFC North personnel executive told me that Sutton has added "bad weight" and that his weight gain has taken away from his biggest assets -- speed and quickness. An NFC West scout suggested to me that Sutton needs to get in better shape and get his motor running to become the difference-maker some envision as a situational interior rusher in the NFL.

Yeah dude has some serious fat-cepts going on.

This is why I hate weight-height generalizations. NFL scouts are looking for attributes, skills, and technique. They're not saying "I need a fat guy" or "I need a tall guy". They're looking for pass rushers, run stoppers, and edge setters. These come in all shapes and sizes.

Look at Dumervil. He's 5'11. Hardly prototypical height for his position, but he has great technique and his low center gravity allows him to turn the edge easier.

If I'm an NFL scout I look at Will Suttons tape from last year and I see a guy I can instantly start on passing downs in the middle because he's so explosive. He lacks the prototypical size to play the run as DT in the 4-3 but he potentially could be a DE in the 3-4/5-2. You have him bull rush his gap, and more often than not he's going to get the TFL.

But what it really comes down to is he could learn the techniques required to be a good run stopper. Tomsula has worked wonders with UDFA. He didn't have to gain 25 pds of fat to become a run stopper, and whoever told him that messed up kids future. I thought he was easily a 1-2nd round pick but now he's lost his most valuable attribute so he will most likely go undrafted.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
This is why I hate weight-height generalizations. NFL scouts are looking for attributes, skills, and technique. They're not saying "I need a fat guy" or "I need a tall guy". They're looking for pass rushers, run stoppers, and edge setters. These come in all shapes and sizes.

Look at Dumervil. He's 5'11. Hardly prototypical height for his position, but he has great technique and his low center gravity allows him to turn the edge easier.

If I'm an NFL scout I look at Will Suttons tape from last year and I see a guy I can instantly start on passing downs in the middle because he's so explosive. He lacks the prototypical size to play the run as DT in the 4-3 but he potentially could be a DE in the 3-4/5-2. You have him bull rush his gap, and more often than not he's going to get the TFL.

But what it really comes down to is he could learn the techniques required to be a good run stopper. Tomsula has worked wonders with UDFA. He didn't have to gain 25 pds of fat to become a run stopper, and whoever told him that messed up kids future. I thought he was easily a 1-2nd round pick but now he's lost his most valuable attribute so he will most likely go undrafted.

I disagree there, if anything I expect him to reverse course, if not now then during the offseason and come into the Combine in the 270's....low 280's which would bring his draft stock up into the 2nd round I believe.
undrafted? lol
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
undrafted? lol

He would have been a likely 1st rounder had he come out last season, I don't think his goof will cost him very much, especially when he shows up in the Combine in significantly better shape. Based on his frame though it seems like his future in the NFL would be on the outside, not inside.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
undrafted? lol

He would have been a likely 1st rounder had he come out last season, I don't think his goof will cost him very much, especially when he shows up in the Combine in significantly better shape. Based on his frame though it seems like his future in the NFL would be on the outside, not inside.

He got a 4th round grade from the NFL advisory committee last year
undrafted? lol

I almost knew you would pop out of trenches to say something on this one.

Don't get me wrong. I loved Will Sutton last year. This year it's an exercise in patience because it drives me nuts to see him play.

His weight is clearly not functional. After his initial burst he loses all momentum, and that makes him a liability to get washed out.

I've watched two ASU games this year. Wisconsin and Stanford. He looked awful for a DT.

Hopefully he can live off his 2012 season because I'll say it again judging by his 2013 season he looks like another undrafted big man.

He got a 4th round grade from the NFL advisory committee last year

That committee was wrong. They're the one's that probably told he needed to gain weight. He probably got hooked up with an agent that "mapped" out his top 10 status.

He was a late 1st/early 2nd off these highlights alone. He should've spent the summer power lifting, perfecting his technique, and conditioning himself.

Maybe eat 200 extra calories a day but it looks like the boy was melting down ice cream and combining it with olive oil 5 times a day.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I almost knew you would pop out of trenches to say something on this one.

Don't get me wrong. I loved Will Sutton last year. This year it's an exercise in patience because it drives me nuts to see him play.

His weight is clearly not functional. After his initial burst he loses all momentum, and that makes him a liability to get washed out.

I've watched two ASU games this year. Wisconsin and Stanford. He looked awful for a DT.

Hopefully he can live off his 2012 season because I'll say it again judging by his 2013 season he looks like another undrafted big man.

That committee was wrong. They're the one's that probably told he needed to gain weight. He probably got hooked up with an agent that "mapped" out his top 10 status.

He was a late 1st/early 2nd off these highlights alone. He should've spent the summer power lifting, perfecting his technique, and conditioning himself.

Maybe eat 200 extra calories a day but it looks like the boy was melting down ice cream and combining it with olive oil 5 times a day.

Would draft, I don't care what he weighs, when this guy is on, he's ridiculously explosive, 49ers could use another DE anyways since you figure Justin Smith will be gone soon, even at a lighter weight I could see Sutton being an impact player in the NFL. If he could build up lean mass to get to 275-280 and retain his athleticism and quickness, he'd be good to go.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Sutton isn't the only one responsible, even college athletes are micromanaged. This weight gain wasn't a decision he made solely on his own, the ASU coaching staff signed off on it and you know it. Otherwise they would've put the kibosh on it right away and kept him at 275 with the threat of demoting him if he continued to gain weight.
Originally posted by sfout:
Sutton isn't the only one responsible, even college athletes are micromanaged. This weight gain wasn't a decision he made solely on his own, the ASU coaching staff signed off on it and you know it. Otherwise they would've put the kibosh on it right away and kept him at 275 with the threat of demoting him if he continued to gain weight.

From the comments I've read, basically our staff had a hands-off approach during the offseason with the understanding Sutton was coming back to get ready for the NFL.

The weight was bad weight, no one can add 30lbs in 6 months and keep all the speed/athleticism which was what his game was based on. He should have just bulked up to 290lbs.

As far as an NFL future, he will definitely be drafted. As far as where he is drafted, I think its too early.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:

From the comments I've read, basically our staff had a hands-off approach during the offseason with the understanding Sutton was coming back to get ready for the NFL.

The weight was bad weight, no one can add 30lbs in 6 months and keep all the speed/athleticism which was what his game was based on. He should have just bulked up to 290lbs.

As far as an NFL future, he will definitely be drafted. As far as where he is drafted, I think its too early.

LOL that is what I'm saying. The ASU coaches are OK with the weight and must believe it is what he needs to be in NFL which is just laughable....
FWIW McShay has Sutton as a 2nd round pick

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/20131029espns-todd-mcshay-discusses-will-sutton-marion-grice-in-the-nfl-draft.html?nclick_check=1
I have Sutton as my 97th best player, probably too low. The weight is a concern to me. I have him lower than Ben Gardner, who is now out for season, this was before last weeks games, so I have to update it in the next week or so.

I also have Easley ahead of him, just due to his ability. Sure he is out for season, but I figure if Tank Carradine could get hurt early, and get drafted 40th, why cant Easley. But it's tough. So many talented prospects in this draft, that it will be difficult come draft day. If of course all of them, or at least most are in the class.
If Tank comes in and is really effective I think you'll see a number of teams doing what we did w/Latimore and Tank.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
If Tank comes in and is really effective I think you'll see a number of teams doing what we did w/Latimore and Tank.

You're giving a lot of bad GM's way too much credit. Not many teams will be willing to take a flyer on a guy that may not play for a full season.
Share 49ersWebzone