There are 421 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Geek's Mock Plan V1.0

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Well, it would certainly solidify the position long term.

1-Crabtree
2-Gordon
3-Patton
4-Beckham
5-Baldwin
6-Who cares?

Maybe. I'm not against it but with Gordon in the picture, I just don't see Baalke spending the 1st rounder on a WR especially when CB could be a bigger need after this season. If we don't get Gordon (and it does look unlikely at this point that we do get him), then I do think we should consider taking a WR in the 1st round and if we do, I think we should trade up to get one of the best. Sammy Watkins is my guy !
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
If we trade for Josh Gordon, we're not taking a WR in the first round.
yeah geek lost me there.

Baldwin hasn't proved himself, Patton has been brittle so far (finger, foot), and Crabtree is nearing the end of his contract. Williams and Moore are free agents after this year.

Look at how the Green Bay Packers have drafted over the years. They had Donald Driver and Greg Jennings, then they drafted James Jones in 2007. They had all three, along with Donald Lee, in 2008 and then they drafted Jordy Nelson and Jermichael Finley.

They had all of them, sans Donald Lee, and they drafted Randall Cobb in 2011 in the 2nd round.

Strong teams reinforce positions of strength to ensure continued success. We haven't even reached success in the position outside of Michael Crabtree.
[ Edited by GEEK on Oct 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM ]
Originally posted by GEEK:
Baldwin hasn't proved himself, Patton has been brittle so far (finger, foot), and Crabtree is nearing the end of his contract. Williams and Moore are free agents after this year.

Look at how the Green Bay Packers have drafted over the years. They had Donald Driver and Greg Jennings, then they drafted James Jones in 2007. They had all three, along with Donald Lee, in 2008 and then they drafted Jordy Nelson and Jermichael Finley.

They had all of them, sans Donald Lee, and they drafted Randall Cobb in 2011 in the 2nd round.

Strong teams reinforce positions of strength to ensure continued success. We haven't even reached success in the position outside of Michael Crabtree.
I get your point but it does seem like your overloading at WR.

I mean the defense is losing both it's starting CB's, and the #3 tore his knee.

If you want to talk about continued success you also have to realize we're losing more experience at CB and S then WR.

In fact it's not even comparable.

I'm not saying we should ignore WR, but trading for Josh Gordon and drafting one in the 1st round seems negligent considering the secondary situation.

Also you can't pretend like Patton and Baldwin wont even be a factor. They're going to step up at some point. It's just going to take some time, and a little bit more trust on Kaeps end.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 16, 2013 at 10:21 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:

If you want to talk about continued success you also have to realize we're losing more experience at CB and S then WR.

I'm not saying we should ignore WR, but trading for Josh Gordon and drafting one in the 1st round seems negligent considering the secondary situation.

Also you can't pretend like Patton and Baldwin wont even be a factor. They're going to step up at some point. It's just going to take some time, and a little bit more trust on Kaeps end.

Matt Maiocco has stated multiple times that he anticipates Eric Wright taking over a starting role in 2013. He's got a similar style to Brown. So I see a realistic change there.

Brock is coming along very well, and he could be in line to be elevated to a starting role. Culliver will recover, and the mock adds two 2nd day picks to the team.

I get your point though. I'm so heavily focused on addressing WR weapons that I don't prioritize the CB position. That's a fair criticism. But I rather take a flyer on a rookie and resign a Kaep or Iupati instead of keep a 33 year old CB that's declining in speed on the roster.

Yup. I think WR and CB will both be significant needs after this year but I think CB edges out since both of our starting CBs will likely be gone and the upcoming draft is deep with quality CB talent, so why not go for it and rebuild the position from the draft?

And contrary to popular belief, but impactful gem WRs aren't limited to the 1st round, you can find plenty of quality WRs especially in the 2nd round as well. I'm not against taking a WR in the 1st round, it should definitely be considered and I wouldn't mind it, but selecting a CB seems more logical to me.
Matt Maiocco has stated multiple times that he anticipates Eric Wright taking over a starting role in 2013. He's got a similar style to Brown. So I see a realistic change there.

Brock is coming along very well, and he could be in line to be elevated to a starting role. Culliver will recover, and the mock adds two 2nd day picks to the team.

I get your point though. I'm so heavily focused on addressing WR weapons that I don't prioritize the CB position. That's a fair criticism. But I rather take a flyer on a rookie and resign a Kaep or Iupati instead of keep a 33 year old CB that's declining in speed on the roster.

I'm not saying we should resign Rogers. I would love to restructure his deal, but if the price is not right I'm fine with letting him go. Cap space is the name of the game over the next 3 years for us.

I'm not trying to spell doom and gloom. A depth chart of Brock,Culliver, Wright, Cox, and Morris is not all bad. Wright, Culliver and Brock are young, driven, and above all else talented, but you can't deny the effect that Brown and Rogers could have on the secondary.

The secondary is entering relatively uncharted waters because these guys are comfortable in the scheme and the onus is on them. We don't know how the youngsters are going to react when it's them week in and week out covering the Fitzgerald, Johnson, and Julio.

The WR position is not losing it's #1 next season. In fact it may have a legit #2 after this season.

One situation seems much dire than the other.

Ultimately a 1st round pick doesn't change the situation at CB, but personally I'm leaning towards drafting the best CB we can possibly get. I hope they trade up into the 15-22 range. I feel like we're not going to get Watkins,Evans, or Lee and they're the only guys I have rated in the 1st round. Plenty of 2nd and 3rd WRs to choose from. In fact Beckham Jrs teammate, Jarvis Landry, is a stud too.

None of Green Bay's WR/TE's(Including Jennings/Driver) were drafted in the first round. If that's the example you're looking at shouldn't you be arguing we can get a Wr in the second or third round?
[ Edited by Hopper on Oct 17, 2013 at 4:23 AM ]
Really good post and comments.

I love the mocks - keep them coming.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

None of Green Bay's WR/TE's(Including Jennings/Driver) were drafted in the first round. If that's the example you're looking at shouldn't you be arguing we can get a Wr in the second or third round?

Jordy Nelson was an early 2nd round pick, so not much difference between late first, early second. But everyone else was mid to late 2nd round picks, correct.

The point I am making though is that they went early to reinforce the unit. "They already had Driver, Jennings, and Nelson, why did they draft WR so early"

And the first round pick in my mock can contribute immediately as a kick and punt returner in addition to handling WR duties. So we are addressing multiple needs with one pick.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I'm not saying we should resign Rogers. I would love to restructure his deal, but if the price is not right I'm fine with letting him go. Cap space is the name of the game over the next 3 years for us.

I'm not trying to spell doom and gloom. A depth chart of Brock,Culliver, Wright, Cox, and Morris is not all bad. Wright, Culliver and Brock are young, driven, and above all else talented, but you can't deny the effect that Brown and Rogers could have on the secondary.

The secondary is entering relatively uncharted waters because these guys are comfortable in the scheme and the onus is on them. We don't know how the youngsters are going to react when it's them week in and week out covering the Fitzgerald, Johnson, and Julio.

The WR position is not losing it's #1 next season. In fact it may have a legit #2 after this season.

One situation seems much dire than the other.

Ultimately a 1st round pick doesn't change the situation at CB, but personally I'm leaning towards drafting the best CB we can possibly get. I hope they trade up into the 15-22 range. I feel like we're not going to get Watkins,Evans, or Lee and they're the only guys I have rated in the 1st round. Plenty of 2nd and 3rd WRs to choose from. In fact Beckham Jrs teammate, Jarvis Landry, is a stud too.

Don't get me wrong, if there's an Eric Reid type impact player in the draft at the cornerback position, I'm all in favor of trading up to get him. No doubt in my mind. But based on the prospects out there that fit the mold of a 6-0 CB with speed and plays the run, there isn't much available worth trading up in this draft.
If we end up with 6 draft picks in the first three rounds that is a lot of potential talent to bring on board. I think we need two back field picks - 2 cbs or 1 cb and 1 ss. I also think we need another WR pick, OT, QB, and dline/olb. I also think your pick of a Punt returner is essential for us to have a truely dynamic special teams weapon. If we could fill all of those positions in the first 6 picks we would be rolling. I think Kilgore is our Center in waiting and then get depth in the other areas we are looking for. So thanks Geek for a well thought out mock plan. It will be interesting to see what Baalke does in the off season.
[ Edited by Ninefan56 on Oct 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM ]
yeah geek lost me there.

Kind of like how the 49ers keep drafting running backs? To each his own.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
yeah geek lost me there.

Kind of like how the 49ers keep drafting running backs? To each his own.

Except you have 2-3 WRs on the field for each play vs 1 RB.
Nice mock! I agree with AB in keeping Boldin however. If he is happy in SF then his ability to make key plays trumps the cost.