Donte Whitner - S - 2 years, $10M
Michael Wilhoite - ILB - ERFA (550k)

Restructure: $5 million in savings
Vernon Davis - TE
Frank Gore - RB

Extend:
Kaepernick, Iupati, Miller, Kilgore

Trades:
49ers trade 2nd round draft pick for Browns Josh Gordon (WR) and 2015 conditional pick (dependent on substance abuse)
*We take a flyer to bolster our position while minimally adding to the salary cap. He'll be on the payroll for 2 more years.

49ers trade LaMichael James to Eagles for Vinnie Curry (DE)
*Bust for bust. Curry was drafted as a 4-3 DE, now converting to a 3-4 DE, and hasn't seen much reps. I think we convert Curry to a 3-4 OLB (after slimming down), and reunite James with his former college coach Chip Kelly.

Remaining money is used for team extensions.

NFL Draft:

R1: Odell Beckham Jr. - WR/PR - LSU
*Smooth and speedy receiver with strong punt returning skills. Replaces Kyle Williams.

R2: Justin Gilbert - CB/KR - Oklahoma State (via Chiefs)
*Developing CB that continues to elevate his game. Strong boost to our ST kick off return game. Replaces Tarell Brown.

R3: Travis Swanson - C - Arkansas (via Titans)
*A blue chip center prospect to anchor our offensive line for the next 10 years. Replaces Jonathan Goodwin

R3: Dion Bailey - FS/SS - USC
*Very raw safety that has speed and force when he pops ball carriers. With some coaching, he could be a starting strong safety in this league. Replaces Craig Dahl.

R3: Deion Belue - CB - Alabama (comp)
*Banged up this year, but when healthy, Belue is a strong cornerback that plays the ball very well. He'll be mainly on the ST unit his first year, and with proper conditioning, he'll be a contributor to our secondary. Replaces Parrish Cox.

R4: Jimmy Garoppolo - QB - EIU
*Rising prospect, but there are still plenty of QBs ahead of him with 6-7 teams truly looking for new starting QBs. Strengthen the depth at QB. Replaces Colt McCoy.

R5: Ben Malena - RB - Texas A&M
*Malena reminds me a bit of Ahmad Bradshaw and Danny Woodhead. Great weapon in the screen or pistol. Replaces LaMichael James.

R6: Cairo Santos - K - Tulane
*No more $2M kickers, we draft our long-term kicker. Santos has a BIG leg, able to kick 55+ FG in college. 100% last year. A bit inconsistent in the 40 range, but Seely can fix that. Replaces Phil Dawson.

R7: BPA at O-Line, CB, and DL

Depth Chart:

QB: Kaepernick/Garoppolo*/McBLT
RB: Gore/Hunter/Lattimore/Malena*
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/McDonald/Harper

WR: Crabtree/Beckham*/Patton
WR: Gordon*/Baldwin

LT: Staley/Marquardt
LG: Iupati/Looney
C: Swanson*/Kilgore
RG: Boone/Snyder
RT: Davis

LE: Smith/Carradine
NT: Dorsey/Williams
RE: McDonald/Dial

OLB: Smith/Lemonier
ILB: Willis/Wilhoite/Moody
ILB: Bowman/Skuta
OLB: Brooks/Curry*

CB: Culliver/Belue*
CB: Gilbert*/Wright
CB: Brock/Morris

FS: Reid/Spillman
SS: Whiter/Bailey*

ST: Santos*, Lee, McDermott
Nice mock
Nice, but Boldin will re-sign with us, I dont get the feeling that he wont. He likes it in SF, so it makes sense, he wasn't a 1yr rental. He is worth $5M a yr. I say 2yr 10M or 3yr 15M, he is well worth it.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Nice, but Boldin will re-sign with us, I dont get the feeling that he wont. He likes it in SF, so it makes sense, he wasn't a 1yr rental. He is worth $5M a yr. I say 2yr 10M or 3yr 15M, he is well worth it.

I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't mean we can't extend Crabtree.

That 15 million could be the difference between having a #1, and I don't think having a cheap #2 is worth letting go of a #1.

Honestly, I would just prefer we moved on from Boldin, and didn't use any of the cap on him. We have Patton, Baldwin, and 2014 draft pick waiting in the wings, but it would be nice to have another legit option for Kaep to throw at. Boldin is the epitome of dependability so why not? Well the extensions of Crabtree, Iupati, Kaep, and Aldon are why not but anyways.

Nice mock Geek.

This may not be much of a compliment but it's realistic. Most people try to cram as many really good picks into the 1st 3 rounds as possible but you target the guys that will most likely be available. They all fit the system too.

I think we should try to restructure Rogers. He's been playing well. It's not smart to willingly lose both your starting CB's. No matter how confidant you feel in your backups.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM ]
Nice mock. But I doubt Davis will restructure, he knows we need him. Also not a fan of taking a WR early. If you trade for Gordon then no need to draft WR in first.
Originally posted by niners9:
Nice mock. But I doubt Davis will restructure, he knows we need him. Also not a fan of taking a WR early. If you trade for Gordon then no need to draft WR in first.

From what I understand, I don't think you lose any money from restructuring, so why not?
Nice but there's no way Bailey lasts that long. Many consider him the #2 safety behind dix, myself included. And I agree with the above, if we did get Gordon then no need for reciever with first pick. I'd go opposite of your picks with a CB first since you have him starting like Purifoy, Roby, Roberson or Colvin (one likely to still be there at #32) and get a reciever in the second. Brandon Coleman anyone?
If we trade for Josh Gordon, we're not taking a WR in the first round.
Extend Iupati' at what cost though? His agent is probably asking for top dollar, but his play has been sub par this season.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't mean we can't extend Crabtree.

That 15 million could be the difference between having a #1, and I don't think having a cheap #2 is worth letting go of a #1.

Honestly, I would just prefer we moved on from Boldin, and didn't use any of the cap on him. We have Patton, Baldwin, and 2014 draft pick waiting in the wings, but it would be nice to have another legit option for Kaep to throw at. Boldin is the epitome of dependability so why not? Well the extensions of Crabtree, Iupati, Kaep, and Aldon are why not but anyways.

Nice mock Geek.

This may not be much of a compliment but it's realistic. Most people try to cram as many really good picks into the 1st 3 rounds as possible but you target the guys that will most likely be available. They all fit the system too.

I think we should try to restructure Rogers. He's been playing well. It's not smart to willingly lose both your starting CB's. No matter how confidant you feel in your backups.

He wouldn't hamper it. Besides, they wont extend Crabs in 2014, until they find out if he is back 100%, if he is back this year, he is nowhere near 100% back, he may be rushing it. So Boldin re-signing is a must.

Also GEEK, not sure you can viably extend kap, iupati next year.

Here is what I have so far.

Mock V1.0

Start offseason with just under $6.9M in cap room.

Cut Carlos Rogers - Saves $5.1M

De-Escalator - Ahmad Brooks goes from $5.15M, to $4M for not achieving clauses, such as Sacks.

Restructures:

Vernon Davis - Reduce $4.7M base down to $1M, extend him thru 2018, Saves $2.96M
Ray McDonald - Reduce $3.3M base down to $1M, extend him thru 2017, Saves $1.725M
Frank Gore - Reduces $3.3M base down to $1M, extend him thru 2015, Saves $1.533M

Total Cap Room Now: $19.628M to use.

Re-signings:

Anquan Boldin - 3yr/$15M deal (This needs to happen, $5M a yr is worth it, Boldin is a baller)
Tramaine Brock - 1yr/$2M deal (Need more time to show me that he can be counted on, so $2M is fair)
Eric Wright - 1yr/$1.5M (Not sure how well he comes back, $1.5M is fair)
Perrish Cox - $1.323M RFA tender
Michael Wilhoite - $570,000 EFA tender
Phil Dawson- 1yr/$2M deal(The 49ers will keep Dawson, because they want a vet at Kicker, and $2M is fair)

Total Cap Room used: $12.393M(Could save a few million if we backload Boldin's deal)
Leftover cap room now: $6.875M

Extensions:

Bruce Miller - 5yr/$8M extension ($1.6M average)
Kendall Hunter - 4yr/$10M extension ($2.5M average)
Colin Kaepernick - 4yr/$56M extension ($14M average, more than enough IMO, this only happens if he proves it throughout the season)

Unsure of what type of guaranteed money these guys would get. Minimal for Hunter and Miller, likely a $15M signing bonus at most for Kap, I would look more in the $10M range, with base guarantees, and roster bonuses/workout bonuses

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
yeah geek lost me there.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

Well, it would certainly solidify the position long term.

1-Crabtree
2-Gordon
3-Patton
4-Beckham
5-Baldwin
6-Who cares?
The Browns clearly don't want to trade Gordon. They're rebuilding but that doesn't mean you get rid of every good player you have. A RB is easily replaced. A #1 WR not so much. They're not just going to give a way they're main offensive outlet. I really wish we could put this one to bed.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 16, 2013 at 8:24 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
The Browns clearly don't want to trade Gordon. They're rebuilding but that doesn't mean you get rid of every good player you have. A RB is easily replaced. A #1 WR not so much. They're not just going to give a way they're main offensive outlet. I really wish we could put this one to bed.

Oh, they will trade a risky guy like Gordon for a high enough draft pick. The problem is, nobody else is willing to offer a 2nd round pick for a guy that could easily get suspended for a year by the NFL for substance abuse.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Oh, they will trade a risky guy like Gordon for a high enough draft pick. The problem is, nobody else is willing to offer a 2nd round pick for a guy that could easily get suspended for a year by the NFL for substance abuse.

If they were really that concerned with his substance abuse they would've traded him already. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already offered them a 2nd round pick.
Share 49ersWebzone