There are 224 users in the forums

Players to watch for the niners in '14 draft

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Ekpre-Olomu is small, and I don't get the hype about Roby. Can someone explain it? I'm not seeing a dominant player. There are quite a few good names at CB though. I like both kids from VaTech, and the small school kid Desir. He's hard to find any tape on, but his numbers and measurables are off the charts.

TBH I like Aaron Colvin more than both these guys.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Olomu is 5'10 190 and Roby is 5'11 192.

I dont understand peoples fascination with size. You can prefer a tall corner. You can prefer a short corner which 5'10 is not short for a corner btw. Theres nothing right or wrong with prefering a certain size and length because with it come certain attributes.

For example Sherman and Talib use their size to jam. Their long arms allow them to blanket WRs, cut off lanes, and deflect passes but it also means they get turned by shiftier WRs. TY Hilton shower this against Sherman week 5.

Roby and Olomu are exceptional athletes.

Their going to run around 4.3. Their vert/broad are going to be exceptional. You can just tell by the way they play theyre some of the best pound for pound athlete in the country.

But whats the buzz about?

They both have something no other college corner in the nation has....Elite change of direction.

They can trace any WR in the country and not skip a beat. They can cover in and out of cuts and while the WR may lose a step these guy will be right their covering the passing lane.

And their only going to get better as they memorize the routes and get used to whatever defense their in.

True shutdown corners are rare but this draft has tqo and at the very worst theyre really good cover corners.

They can both do this in off man and press man so they'll be scheme friendly.

If you want to give Reid the tools to run a turnover producing, wr smothering secondary a ahutdown corner is step one.

And if you think size is an issue because of run support you dont have to worry.

Theyre both rocked up and theyre ability to release off their man and move up in run support is like watching a human cannonball.

I agree wih you on v techs secondary. I also like Justin Gilbert and Aaron Colvin. Both would be great values in the 3rd and i think we need to hit CB twice. They robably wont though.

Thanks, that was a very helpful analysis for me.
Mt McCullers as I've mentioned before. He's massive, dropped a bunch of weight, still holding his own, guy has destroyed double teams, has ridiculous size, putting him in the middle makes it extremely difficult for teams to run against. I think everyone saw how important NT is to this defense when Dorsey went down. With Dorsey and Williams both on short term deals and Dial an unknown quantity as of yet, I'd be all up for a massive NT who is built muscular and strong, not sloppy, who can play the 0 or 1 technique and will basically stuff the middle and also work to collapse the pocket with his bull rushing ability. I don't see how you could block this guy 1 on 1 and some teams this season have even resorted to triple-teaming him with blockers. He'd be an interesting choice in the late 2nd to early 4th round I think.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM ]
Originally posted by SFrush:
TBH I like Aaron Colvin more than both these guys.

I like Aaron Colvin too. His playing style reminds me of a younger Carlos. I think he would be a perfect fit in this defense.

Colvin is not better than Roby and Olomu though. He's not near as fast and agile at man coverage.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Mt McCullers as I've mentioned before. He's massive, dropped a bunch of weight, still holding his own, guy has destroyed double teams, has ridiculous size, putting him in the middle makes it extremely difficult for teams to run against. I think everyone saw how important NT is to this defense when Dorsey went down. With Dorsey and Williams both on short term deals and Dial an unknown quantity as of yet, I'd be all up for a massive NT who is built muscular and strong, not sloppy, who can play the 0 or 1 technique and will basically stuff the middle and also work to collapse the pocket with his bull rushing ability. I don't see how you could block this guy 1 on 1 and some teams this season have even resorted to triple-teaming him with blockers. He'd be an interesting choice in the late 2nd to early 4th round I think.

We still have Dorsey, Williams, and Dial for at least another year. They're not going to have 4 NT's on the roster. How do you deal with the log jam?

I like McCullers though. He's proving he can be an every down player, and he doesn't take play's off.

He would probably be a great fit in this defense. His length would be ridiculous for keeping the block off, and making the arm tackle.

He's the type of NT we need.
Originally posted by eonblue:
We still have Dorsey, Williams, and Dial for at least another year. They're not going to have 4 NT's on the roster. How do you deal with the log jam?

I like McCullers though. He's proving he can be an every down player, and he doesn't take play's off.

He would probably be a great fit in this defense. His length would be ridiculous for keeping the block off, and making the arm tackle.

He's the type of NT we need.

A lot of uncertainty at the position, no telling how good Dial will look or even if he'll be able to hack it. Even if he does, Williams and Dorsey are on short term deals. I've been impressed with Dorsey and what he's done but most likely he'll be looking for a bigger payday if he continues to play at the level he has been recently. McCullers provides a guy at NT on a longer, affordable contract.

And like you mentioned, his length would be tremendous, I don't see how even in the NFL teams would be able to block him with just one offensive lineman, he'd be a mismatch and a major space eater in the middle that could rotate in with the others as a rookie.
Share 49ersWebzone