There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Players to watch for the niners in '14 draft

Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
TE Jace Amaro from Texas Tech is an absolute freak. The guy is a former basketball player and is 6'6" 260 pounds. He has great hands and is a solid blocker.
Doubt we go TE this draft. And if we do, it'll be a late pick to challenge Celek.
I really like Bucannon. He had 14 tackles against Auburn and he's got 4 INT on the year. The leader has 5.
He's bigger and faster than Hitner too. Where is he likely to get drafted?
Originally posted by Butter:
I really like Bucannon. He had 14 tackles against Auburn and he's got 4 INT on the year. The leader has 5.

I say 2nd-3rd rd pick.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Doubt we go TE this draft. And if we do, it'll be a late pick to challenge Celek.

This, McDonald will have a season under his belt, plus they're developing Harper to take on the h-back role and he'll be competing with Celek for a roster spot next season.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I say 2nd-3rd rd pick.

This. I'm thinking mid to late 2nd, my only real concern with Bucannon is that he has a tendency to play out of control at times, he goes into Goldson mode and ends up hitting guys late, out of bounds, to the head...etc, if he continues doing that in the NFL he's going to cost his team big time.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by Butter:

I say 2nd-3rd rd pick.

The more I watch the secondary this year, the more I'm thinking the team would like to re-new Whitner's contract. He's a hard hitter and a sure-tackler, and with Reid back at FS, there doesn't seem to be as many blown coverages due to his avg cover skills. He's been fantastic this year, and has evolved into the leader of that defense. My guess is the team looks to take 2 DBs early. A pure cover corner and a safety/corner hybrid like Axum. Just my thought
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
The more I watch the secondary this year, the more I'm thinking the team would like to re-new Whitner's contract. He's a hard hitter and a sure-tackler, and with Reid back at FS, there doesn't seem to be as many blown coverages due to his avg cover skills. He's been fantastic this year, and has evolved into the leader of that defense. My guess is the team looks to take 2 DBs early. A pure cover corner and a safety/corner hybrid like Axum. Just my thought

There are alot of good things about Whitner, but I think it would be best to draft the teams next SS. Financially it makes the team more flexible, and it's not surprise Whitner does have problems in coverage. If we could find a more balanced SS it would help the team in the long run.

Baalke really amazes me because he knew exactly what he was doing with Reid. He drafted the marshal for a young secondary. This year they're going to put themselves into a position to get the best man corner available, and we're going to get an upgrade at SS as far as coverage is concerned.

With Reid at the helm this secondary is only going to get better, and after the 2014 draft it's only going to get younger and deeper.

The secondary has already been dominating in coverage this year but it's going to get better. Now we just have to keep the pass rush on the line in tact. If we can do that then the defense is going to continue to dominate for the next 5 years at least.

I've been paying alot of attention to Ekpre-Olomu, I think the FO should trade up to get him or Roby. Both of them have the ability to put a receiver on an island, and having that skill at our disposal would put the secondary over the top. At the very least they're really good man cover corners.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
There are alot of good things about Whitner, but I think it would be best to draft the teams next SS. Financially it makes the team more flexible, and it's not surprise Whitner does have problems in coverage. If we could find a more balanced SS it would help the team in the long run.

Baalke really amazes me because he knew exactly what he was doing with Reid. He drafted the marshal for a young secondary. This year they're going to put themselves into a position to get the best man corner available, and we're going to get an upgrade at SS as far as coverage is concerned.

With Reid at the helm this secondary is only going to get better, and after the 2014 draft it's only going to get younger and deeper.

The secondary has already been dominating in coverage this year but it's going to get better. Now we just have to keep the pass rush on the line in tact. If we can do that then the defense is going to continue to dominate for the next 5 years at least.

I've been paying alot of attention to Ekpre-Olomu, I think the FO should trade up to get him or Roby. Both of them have the ability to put a receiver on an island, and having that skill at our disposal would put the secondary over the top. At the very least they're really good man cover corners.

Im a big Ifo Ekpre-Olomu fan. Definitely hope he's a guy we targeting the draft. He's a really good all around CB. Good in run support and always there in coverage breaking up the pass. Only reason I could see us not targeting him is cause of his size. Baalke seems to prefer big, 6'0 CBs where IEO stands about 5'10.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Im a big Ifo Ekpre-Olomu fan. Definitely hope he's a guy we targeting the draft. He's a really good all around CB. Good in run support and always there in coverage breaking up the pass. Only reason I could see us not targeting him is cause of his size. Baalke seems to prefer big, 6'0 CBs where IEO stands about 5'10.

Ekpre-Olomu is small, and I don't get the hype about Roby. Can someone explain it? I'm not seeing a dominant player. There are quite a few good names at CB though. I like both kids from VaTech, and the small school kid Desir. He's hard to find any tape on, but his numbers and measurables are off the charts.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Ekpre-Olomu is small, and I don't get the hype about Roby. Can someone explain it? I'm not seeing a dominant player. There are quite a few good names at CB though. I like both kids from VaTech, and the small school kid Desir. He's hard to find any tape on, but his numbers and measurables are off the charts.

Olomu is 5'10 190 and Roby is 5'11 192.

I dont understand peoples fascination with size. You can prefer a tall corner. You can prefer a short corner which 5'10 is not short for a corner btw. Theres nothing right or wrong with prefering a certain size and length because with it come certain attributes.

For example Sherman and Talib use their size to jam. Their long arms allow them to blanket WRs, cut off lanes, and deflect passes but it also means they get turned by shiftier WRs. TY Hilton shower this against Sherman week 5.

Roby and Olomu are exceptional athletes.

Their going to run around 4.3. Their vert/broad are going to be exceptional. You can just tell by the way they play theyre some of the best pound for pound athlete in the country.

But whats the buzz about?

They both have something no other college corner in the nation has....Elite change of direction.

They can trace any WR in the country and not skip a beat. They can cover in and out of cuts and while the WR may lose a step these guy will be right their covering the passing lane.

And their only going to get better as they memorize the routes and get used to whatever defense their in.

True shutdown corners are rare but this draft has tqo and at the very worst theyre really good cover corners.

They can both do this in off man and press man so they'll be scheme friendly.

If you want to give Reid the tools to run a turnover producing, wr smothering secondary a ahutdown corner is step one.

And if you think size is an issue because of run support you dont have to worry.

Theyre both rocked up and theyre ability to release off their man and move up in run support is like watching a human cannonball.

I agree wih you on v techs secondary. I also like Justin Gilbert and Aaron Colvin. Both would be great values in the 3rd and i think we need to hit CB twice. They robably wont though.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM ]

I dont understand peoples fascination with size. You can prefer a tall corner. You can prefer a short corner which 5'10 is not short for a corner btw. Theres nothing right or wrong with prefering a certain size and length because with it come certain attributes.

For example Sherman and Talib use their size to jam. Their long arms allow them to blanket WRs, cut off lanes, and deflect passes but it also means they get turned by shiftier WRs. TY Hilton shower this against Sherman week 5.

Their going to run around 4.3. Their vert/broad are going to be exceptional. You can just tell by the way they play theyre some of the best pound for pound athlete in the country.

They both have something no other college corner in the nation has....Elite change of direction.

They can trace any WR in the country and not skip a beat. They can cover in and out of cuts and while the WR may lose a step these guy will be right their covering the passing lane.

And their only going to get better as they memorize the routes and get used to whatever defense their in.

True shutdown corners are rare but this draft has tqo and at the very worst theyre really good cover corners.

If you want to give Reid the tools to run a turnover producing, wr smothering secondary a ahutdown corner is step one.

And if you think size is an issue because of run support you dont have to worry.

Theyre both rocked up and theyre ability to release off their man and move up in run support is like watching a human cannonball.

I agree wih you on v techs secondary. I also like Justin Gilbert and Aaron Colvin. Both would be great values in the 3rd and i think we need to hit CB twice. They robably wont though.

Arguably the best CB in the NFL this season is about 5'10" and 188. Size gets way overrated at times, bigger isn't always better.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Arguably the best CB in the NFL this season is about 5'10" and 188. Size gets way overrated at times, bigger isn't always better.
I agree. Just hope Baalke feels the same. He seems to love big CBs.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Verneer?

Roby defintely looks 5'10 190 but I was watching Olomu vs Washington and he look very close to 5'11 195.

I just dont get it though especially in a position that benefits from a low center of gravity. Olmu was running the WRs route cleaner then he was and the coverage wasnt breaking down.

It was so physically imposing I jumped out of my seat at one point and started talking s**t.

Maybe we dont need a guy that goor at covering but being able to eliminate a WR allows the defense to play a denser zone and blitz more.

These past 2 weeks have really opened my eyes to how beneficial turnovers are. Statistically they're overwhelming to play through, and win.

Fangio makes the best out of all his tools and I think one of these guys should be next in his arsenal.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 15, 2013 at 9:39 PM ]

Excellent post !

Size is overrated. I'll take a "small" corner that has elite skill set and potential (Ekpre-Olomu, Roby) over a bigger corner that's just average and mediocre ANY DAY! Ekpre-Olomu, Roby, and one of my other favorites, Jason Verrett (another smaller guy, 5'11, 180 lbs), are among the cream of the crop when it comes to CBs in the upcoming draft. To land either one of them would be huge for our secondary in the future.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Oct 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM ]
Has anyone watched #6 Ahmad Dixon SS Baylor this season? He's 6'0 205, and transitioned to SS from WLB this season. He's a junior so he may not declare, but he dominated K States power running offense.

I'm sure that helped his draft stock. 9 tackles and 1 int. One series in the 1st half he had about 4 tackles on a 10 play drive. He finished the game off with a pick that allowed Baylor to take a knee.

He was playing about 15-20 yards off the LOS but was just so accurate when diagnosing the run. I don't think he missed a tackle and man he was bringing it with some kind of reckless abandon. He was moving sideline to sideline. Tracking plays from the strongside to the weakside.

Because of K States offense idealistically playing power football his coverage skills we're hardly tested. I mean he dropped back in coverage plenty but I don't think he was truly tested once.

He looked like he could cover a TE fairly well. He definitely wouldn't get muscled. Baylor fans are saying he's a physical freak and will bust out at least 25 reps on the bench at the combine.

Most of all I want to see how he reacts when a shifty receivers get him to squat on a route or how he does with a speedster in stacked coverage.

It's really important that whatever safety we draft be really good coverage. I want an upgrade from Whitner and that shouldn't be too much to ask so I'll be paying alot of attention to that throughout the season.