There are 187 users in the forums

Players to watch for the niners in '14 draft

Shaquil Barrett - LB
Antone Axum - CB/S
Jason Verrett - CB
Mike Evans - WR
Kyle Fuller - CB
Pierre Desir - CB
Aaron Donald - NT/DE (he's too short for a DE, but is only 285 right now. He would need 15 or so lbs to be Dorsey size).
Brandin Cooks - WR
[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on Nov 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM ]
Jason Verrett
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Jason Verrett

His game against Oklahoma was awesome. He became a draft crush of mine following that game. He is a little on the light side though.
CBs:

Jason Verrett, TCU
Darqeuze Dennard, Michigan State
Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State
Bennett Jackson, Notre Dame
Bene Bewekere, San Jose State
Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
Atone Exum, Virginia Tech
Tim Scott, North Carolina
Jaylen Watkins, Florida
Carrington Byndom, Texas
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon
Deion Belue, Alabama
Marcus Williams, North Dakota State
Ross Cockrell, Duke

SSs:

Craig Loston, LSU
Deone Buchannon, Washington State
Ahmad Dixon, Baylor

WRs:

Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt
Donte Moncrief, Ole Miss
Cody Hoffman, BYU
Jarvis Landry, LSU
Odell Beckham Jr., LSU
DeVante Parker, Louisville
Teven Reese, Baylor
TJ Jones, Notre Dame
Josh Huff, Oregon
Devin Street, Pittsburgh
Brandon Coleman, Rutgers
Allen Robinson, Penn State
Paul Richardson, Colorado

DLs:

DaQuan Jones, Penn State
George Uko, USC
Bruce Gaston, Purdue
Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh
Danny Shelton, Washington
Calvin Barnett, Oklahoma State
Ben Gardner, Stanford

OLBs:

Trent Murphy, Stanford
Prince Shembo, Notre Dame
Denicos Allen, Michigan State
Jonathan Brown, Illinois

C:

Bryan Stork, Florida State
Gabe Ikard, Oklahoma
Travis Swanson, Arkansas

NOTE: I didn't include Marquis Lee, Sammy Watkins, Louchiez Purifoy, Bradley Roby, Marcus Roberson, Louis Nix III, for matters that they are top 15 prospects IMO, would need a trade up IMO.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
His game against Oklahoma was awesome. He became a draft crush of mine following that game. He is a little on the light side though.

Which worries me since Baalke usually targets the bigger guys. Verrett is a baller regardless and my favorite corner in the draft. He's very similar to Brock in size, height, and build.
I like Antone Exum as a possible FS prospect. He's a big corner, so he has the size for it and would also have a ton of experience in coverage. I just don't like the safety class this year, so I like the idea of converting a guy like Exum.

I also like his teammate, Kyle Fuller, at CB.
Originally posted by mkary12:
I like Antone Exum as a possible FS prospect. He's a big corner, so he has the size for it and would also have a ton of experience in coverage. I just don't like the safety class this year, so I like the idea of converting a guy like Exum.

I dont understand the reason for moving Reid to SS, he will have a yr under his belt at FS and a damn good one, just draft a traditional SS like Loston or Buchannon. Makes no sense to also draft a Safety in rd 1, gotta think long term, under the new CBA, while contracts are low, the 5th yr option is a high dollar amount. Reid should be top 10 I believe. We cant end up paying to Safeties top money. So far under the new CBA, we took a OLB(Aldon), WR(AJ gone now), and FS(Reid), we should look at a different position, for cap purposes. Not a good idea for the future. No one knows when the cap will go up. It may stay flat for another 3-5 years. Reason why we wont give Brown big money, or any FA to be, besides Kap, Iupati, or Crabs. I dont count Aldon as he is in deep s**t. I wouldn't even pick up his top 10 OLB money option.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I dont understand the reason for moving Reid to SS, he will have a yr under his belt at FS and a damn good one, just draft a traditional SS like Loston or Buchannon. Makes no sense to also draft a Safety in rd 1, gotta think long term, under the new CBA, while contracts are low, the 5th yr option is a high dollar amount. Reid should be top 10 I believe. We cant end up paying to Safeties top money. So far under the new CBA, we took a OLB(Aldon), WR(AJ gone now), and FS(Reid), we should look at a different position, for cap purposes. Not a good idea for the future. No one knows when the cap will go up. It may stay flat for another 3-5 years. Reason why we wont give Brown big money, or any FA to be, besides Kap, Iupati, or Crabs. I dont count Aldon as he is in deep s**t. I wouldn't even pick up his top 10 OLB money option.

I like Loston. He should be available in the 2nd round, plus he played with Reid at LSU so there's some familiarity and chemistry.

I think we take a CB in the first round next year. Tarrell Brown and Nnamdi are gone and Carlos Rogers could be too if he doesn't restructure (not getting any younger either). I'm all in favor of the secondary youth movement.
draft faves:

Justin Gilbert
Sammy Watkins
Ed Reynolds
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
I like Loston. He should be available in the 2nd round, plus he played with Reid at LSU so there's some familiarity and chemistry.

I think we take a CB in the first round next year. Tarrell Brown and Nnamdi are gone and Carlos Rogers could be too if he doesn't restructure (not getting any younger either). I'm all in favor of the secondary youth movement.

I agree with taking a CB in the 1st.

First, for the reason you have stated. TB and Nnamdi will probably not be back. Rogers may not restructure. And while Culliver, Brock, and Cox may return there's still a high level of uncertainty at the position especially over the next two years.

Second, I think Reid has exceeded everyone's expectations. Hes a leader and a student of the game. I think you get many good years out of Reid. So as premature as it may be I think Reid is the foundation of a young secondary, and when the time comes he will be extended.

Personally, it's smart business to resign your 1st round picks. Idk if the cap would allow you to resign Reid, and then the next year resign another 1st rd safety therefore I think we pick CB because that will be a position will require a foundational piece. It will allow the FO to maximize its 1st rd pick, and equally distribute cap space. I dont think the money is there to have 2 top teir safeties, and I would hate to see a 1st rd pick leave via FA so I think we address the safety position in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Third, with all the picks the team has in the 2014 draft they're in a great position to trade up for a top talent at any position. I would like the FO to target Roby, Purifoy, Robertson, or Colvin. You would be drafting a play maker which is the whole point of the 1st round, and given the fact that the position will be thin, and not much cap space will be devoted to it the best interest of the team would be resigning their 1st round pick.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM ]

Your absolutely right AB.

I was a proponent of the safety in the first round. Partially because Clinton-Dix is my most favorite player in this class. Alas it doesn't make sense to draft Reid in the 1st round just to move him to another position and then redraft the position he was in.

Like you said the money will not be there for another 1st round safety to be resigned.

Here are my top SS.

Dion Bailey is brutal. He's instinctual and has great footwork. He played LB last year so he would be a punishing run defender. In the video I posted he is covering WR's and TE's step for step. Clearly he had multiple assignments at the position and he handles them very well. If his 40 is good enough I think he would be a great pick.

Vinny Sunseri is my #2. He plays star/SS for Alabama. He is one of Sabans favorite players because he's smart and has great technique. I rarely see him give up a big plays in the passing game. He's a monolith in the run game. I'm really interested to see how he performs in his 40 and positional drills. I think he's a great pick but he has to be able to cover NFL receivers one on one.

And I, like you, also think Loston and Buchannon would be great fits. I've only seen 1 game by Buchannon though, but he was a punishing tackler. I think that's one of the most important aspect of a safety in Fangios system. They have to be good tacklers. Reid and Buchannon would be flying around like war eagles.

Whoever is drafted has to be solid in coverage though. I really think we need to continue improving that aspect. Reid was just the beginning, and whoever is drafted this year at safety should expand on it.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM ]
Dion Bailey FTW
Originally posted by mkary12:

First of all, in most NFL defenses these days, I don't think it's about FS and SS. You need 2 interchangeable safeties who are both hard-hitting and good in coverage.

I HATE this safety class outside of Clinton-Dix. Some of them, like Reynolds, I wouldn't mind drafting, but I'd be nervous about starting them Year 1. I like Exum more as a prospect than any of the safety prospects. And Reid is a smart enough player to play wherever he needs to.

The NFL is essentially phasing out traditional strong safeties with the way the rules are being drawn up, plus in passing league, you want two guys are excellent in coverage. Reid being at SS wouldn't make a much of a difference at all. What I'd like to see is the 49ers add a true centerfielder/deep safety type, don't see the need for this team to replace Whitner with another SS when they can shift Reid there, add a guy who's absolutely outstanding coverage and have two safeties who can cover pretty much anyone at anytime.

The ideal nowadays seems to be having two essentially interchangeable safeties, guys who can play up at the line and deep in coverage with the latter being more crucial. Its not enough to have a guy who hits like a Mack Truck but struggles in coverage anymore.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
I agree with taking a CB in the 1st.

First, for the reason you have stated. TB and Nnamdi will probably not be back. Rogers may not restructure. And while Culliver, Brock, and Cox may return there's still a high level of uncertainty at the position especially over the next two years.

Second, I think Reid has exceeded everyone's expectations. Hes a leader and a student of the game. I think you get many good years out of Reid. So as premature as it may be I think Reid is the foundation of a young secondary, and when the time comes he will be extended.

Personally, it's smart business to resign your 1st round picks. Idk if the cap would allow you to resign Reid, and then the next year resign another 1st rd safety therefore I think we pick CB because that will be a position will require a foundational piece. It will allow the FO to maximize its 1st rd pick, and equally distribute cap space. I dont think the money is there to have 2 top teir safeties, and I would hate to see a 1st rd pick leave via FA so I think we address the safety position in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Third, with all the picks the team has in the 2014 draft they're in a great position to trade up for a top talent at any position. I would like the FO to target Roby, Purifoy, Robertson, or Colvin. You would be drafting a play maker which is the whole point of the 1st round, and given the fact that the position will be thin, and not much cap space will be devoted to it the best interest of the team would be resigning their 1st round pick.

Goldson was drafted after Taylor Mays, should Taylor Mays be paid more? I don't think you worry about re-signing guys down the road, you go and get the best talent, period. Its not like draft slotting determines what a guy will be paid for his next contract.
Share 49ersWebzone