There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 49ers draft strategy

2 WR's.. 1st round, 3rd round even if Boldin is back because who knows if Crabtree will re-sign long term. Sick of overlooking the WR position. Maybe even one in the late rounds to compete. Dobbs and TJE should be upgraded over DE is growing need. McDonald, Dorsey, Smith, Carradine, Williams, 3rd round?, Dial

Then SS since I'd let Whitner go probably in the 2nd round. Then if we get a Goldson comp 3rd to go along with our 2 (wr, de in 3rd) I use that for another CB or maybe even C/G combo. Almost wish we had a pick to use on a QB as early as the 3rd. All those picks and we will probably need them again with all the FA we will lose.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 17, 2013 at 5:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
2 WR's.. 1st round, 3rd round even if Boldin is back because who knows if Crabtree will re-sign long term. Sick of overlooking the WR position. Maybe even one in the late rounds to compete. Dobbs and TJE should be upgraded over DE is growing need. McDonald, Dorsey, Smith, Carradine, Williams, 3rd round?, TJE/rookie?

Then SS since I'd let Whitner go probably in the 2nd round. Then if we get a Goldson comp 3rd to go along with our 2 (wr, de in 3rd) I use that for another CB or maybe even C/G combo. Almost wish we had a pick to use on a QB as early as the 3rd. All those picks and we will probably need them again with all the FA we will lose.

DE is a big need, both Justin Smith and McDonald have regressed since 2011 and McDonald is having a hard time staying healthy, they need someone in addition to Carradine that they can rotate in at DE.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
DE is a big need, both Justin Smith and McDonald have regressed since 2011 and McDonald is having a hard time staying healthy, they need someone in addition to Carradine that they can rotate in at DE.

Agree, it's climbing up the board but with WR, CB and possibly SS not sure we can take one before the 3rd. Ideally Dobbs and TJE aren't on the team. Oops, forgot Dial in my list will edit it. And yeah Smith and McDonald were outstanding in 2011 especially Smith. They have regressed from 2012 as well. They just don't get much pressure but hard when you only send 3 guys. Yeah we need someone who can rotate in for those 2 early and often and bring consistent pressure. Hopefully Carradine is that guy but still need 1 more. TJE and Dobbs aren't it. They are nice players for UDFA's but we have higher standards this isn't a 4-6 win team.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 17, 2013 at 5:55 PM ]
WR here, WR there...probably, boldin, crabs, MM and patton will be on next year's roster. furthermore, we got VD. wait, baldwin is also still here.
thats enough, no need to.take another WR high unless someone special falls down.

we will need a SS and center badly. given the contract situation of our CBs, another CB should be picked.
thus, WR should have a much lower priority than asked in this thread.
I think at this point [before the Skins game] WR is at the top of the list and more than one.

Then it will depend on who we resign - I'm thinking we'll need DE and a S.
our best WRs are injured not underperforming.
if we stay with boldin, crabs, MM, patton and baldwin, i dont see a dire need for a WR, and surely not for two. and like i said, we still got vernon.

crabs, boldin and davis on the field. baldwin, patton and some unimportant dude back them up.
Originally posted by communist:
our best WRs are injured not underperforming.
if we stay with boldin, crabs, MM, patton and baldwin, i dont see a dire need for a WR, and surely not for two. and like i said, we still got vernon.

crabs, boldin and davis on the field. baldwin, patton and some unimportant dude back them up.

I do, what they have is 5 possession receivers and no real deep threat, that isn't sustainable. They need more speed at WR, to me that's a huge need, only behind CB in terms of necessity, up there with more depth at DE, another safety, depth on the OL..etc. There's also the possibility that Crabtree walks after next season, rather than drafting a guy in a panic to replace him, the 49ers would be better served having that guy potentially on the roster already.

Manningham, Boldin and Baldwin all very well may not be back, the only guys I expect "guaranteed" to be back next season are Crabtree and Patton....and Crabtree will be in the final year of his contract. Absolutely there's a need for WR, this team can't keep passing the buck and bringing in older veterans and random undrafted guys to fill those spots. They need to acquire at least a legit #2/3 WR to go along with Crabtree and Patton.
we will need a starting center and SS almost surely.
starting center is done before the draft if we can find one on the current roster (kilgore???).

CB is another Problem even the biggest one. brock is a FA, as are cully and rogers, iirc.

if we lose some receivers, we have to look at WR earlier.

assuming that we can retain all of the mentioned receivers and none of the Talents falls, what round would you pick a WR?
[ Edited by communist on Nov 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM ]
we will need a starting center and SS almost surely.
starting center is done before the draft if we can find one on the current roster (kilgore???).

CB is another Problem even the biggest one. brock is a FA, as are cully and rogers, iirc.

if we lose some receivers, we have to look at WR earlier.

assuming that we can retain all of the mentioned receivers and none of the Talents falls, what round would you pick a WR?

I think Culliver has one more year and Rogers has two more years. Hopefully they can re-sign Brock and/or Brown. If they keep both I could see Rogers being cut.
ok, my fault. imo, rogers will be gone anyway, he is way too expensive.
cully, perhaps wright, brock, brown.

as for the speed: we got lmj and hunter. perhaps roman or his successor will try to utilize at least one of them.
ok, my fault. imo, rogers will be gone anyway, he is way too expensive.
cully, perhaps wright, brock, brown.

as for the speed: we got lmj and hunter. perhaps roman or his successor will try to utilize at least one of them.

Speed at WR, also neither Hunter nor James are particularly fast, quick yes, bur im talking about a receiver that can take the top off a defense and doesnt allow the safety to cheat in coverage.
Isnt Patton fast enough?
Isnt Patton fast enough?

Patton has decent speed but he's still more in the possession receiver mold. I'm talking about a guy like TY Hilton of the Colts who can flat out fly downfield and makes it risky for defenses to play man to man on an island.
I am a guy who wanted to draft us a speedy guy but still speed is not everything. A guy who can create separation should be sufficient for the need you see...patton can do this.
just for the statistics: which guys do you have in mind?
I am a guy who wanted to draft us a speedy guy but still speed is not everything. A guy who can create separation should be sufficient for the need you see...patton can do this.
just for the statistics: which guys do you have in mind?

Speed alone for the threat of it, just as Baltimore has Torrey Smith...etc, a defense has to adjust for a true deep threat at receiver, there's a variety of guys in this draft who can fit that role, some true burners, others who are faster, bigger receivers who present major vertical threats, if you look around on the draft forum, there's plenty of discussion about guys like Odell Beckham and others who look to be big time receivers in the NFL.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home