LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

2014 49ers draft strategy

If you count up entrenched starters incoming rookies and guys coming off redshirt seasons and the guys coming off injuries. There is going to be a serious shortage of roster spots. If there was ever a draft to trade up high it would be this one. We have 2 holes on this team at wr and cb. Because of our front 7 on defense and our lack off speed on offense. To me the bigger hole is wr. I think we use our draft capitol to try and get up in the top of the first round and draft marquis lee. If you were the gm what is your strategy for this draft?
my strategy would be to draft good players...no make that great players, yeah thats the ticket
Draft a whole bunch of cornerbacks, use the shotgun approach, reload the secondary with young talent to go along with Reid and Culliver.

Once more, I would take a safety early to pair up with Reid. Whitner is playing well now, long term he's not the answer, having two safeties who are tall, very good in coverage opens up the defense to a lot more possibilities as far as moving guys around all over the place, more options.......wait who am I kidding, Fangio is about as vanilla as it gets.

As far as WR, Crabtree will be back, Manningham could be brought back on a cheap deal, Baldwin will be back, Patton will be back, Boldin could be back, I see the 49ers ultimately needing a deep threat at WR, although it certainly doesn't have to be a 1st round.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Draft a whole bunch of cornerbacks, use the shotgun approach, reload the secondary with young talent to go along with Reid and Culliver.

Once more, I would take a safety early to pair up with Reid. Whitner is playing well now, long term he's not the answer, having two safeties who are tall, very good in coverage opens up the defense to a lot more possibilities as far as moving guys around all over the place, more options.......wait who am I kidding, Fangio is about as vanilla as it gets.

As far as WR, Crabtree will be back, Manningham could be brought back on a cheap deal, Baldwin will be back, Patton will be back, Boldin could be back, I see the 49ers ultimately needing a deep threat at WR, although it certainly doesn't have to be a 1st round.

No D Lineman Phoenix? I agree, to get Hitners heir apparent is vital to have two good young safties as a strength for a decade is huge, and we will need corners, but our line, unless we get some of the walking wounded back and productive, I think it could be a problem in a year or so. Just my 2 cents.
Agree on getting Whitner's replacement and the best CB - Please no little guys.

WR - depending on how the rest of the season shakes out - I'm doubtful Crabs and Mario will return in stellar form.

I'd still like a big [6'2"] and fast WR.

Also in mid to later rounds a swing OT who can fill in if Staley/Davis go down.
Draft healthy players. We seriously spent half our draft class on rookies that haven't even suited up.
How about trade couple of those picks for Josh Gordon
Originally posted by Jeet86:

Not that easy, what do you want to trade? It will cost a lot, probably a 1st, or a 2 and a 3. Not worth it IMO.
Originally posted by Jeet86:

I don't think Cleveland is looking to trade him any more, other than for something utterly ridiculous. I get the feeling they were demanding AT least a first rounder and possibly other picks for Gordon. Way too expensive for a guy who is one puff, puff, give away from being suspended for an entire season.
Originally posted by hofer36:
my strategy would be to draft good players...no make that great players, yeah thats the ticket

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I want Lee.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 4, 2013 at 1:04 PM ]
I would LOVE for us to trade up for Mike Evans. There is plently of corners that can be found in the 2nd and 3rd round.
Originally posted by outside4949:
If you count up entrenched starters incoming rookies and guys coming off redshirt seasons and the guys coming off injuries. There is going to be a serious shortage of roster spots. If there was ever a draft to trade up high it would be this one. We have 2 holes on this team at wr and cb. Because of our front 7 on defense and our lack off speed on offense. To me the bigger hole is wr. I think we use our draft capitol to try and get up in the top of the first round and draft marquis lee. If you were the gm what is your strategy for this draft?

I agree with you WR and CB are the biggest needs. I also agree with your strategy to move up in the 1st to get Lee it makes sense in case Crabtree leaves although i think Crabtree will resign. This would give Crabtree a good receiver to start opposite off. Or I would go after a big name FA WR and use our 1st round pick on a solid shutdown corner and use one of the 2nd round picks to get an additional receiver.
Originally posted by Harkonnenzombie:
I would LOVE for us to trade up for Mike Evans. There is plently of corners that can be found in the 2nd and 3rd round.

No thanks, another slow footed, long strider. 49ers already have Baldwin. You can count me off both the Evans and Coleman bandwagons.

Evans reminds me a lot of Colston, a slowish, bigger possession receiver type. However if you're talking possession receivers, the 49ers have enough of those as it is. I'm hoping that they find someone explosive, who can get downfield in a hurry, someone that the opposing defense has to put a safety over the top to defend...just in case. Baltimore lit teams up in the playoffs because they had their possession receivers(Boldin and Pitta) and had deep threat guys who could stretch the field in Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones.

49ers have the possession guys(Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Patton), they don't have any real deep downfield threats. That is what I think is the biggest need.

In terms of a great deep threat, I'd LOVE for the 49ers to acquire Sammy Watkins of Clemson who is a threat to take it to the house pretty much everytime he touches the ball, he has great speed and even better acceleration and gets downfield in a hurry but he's looking like an early-mid1st rounder right about now, wouldn't even be shocked to see him get picked before Lee does. He's been having a heck of a season and is a natural playmaker.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Harkonnenzombie:

No thanks, another slow footed, long strider. 49ers already have Baldwin. You can count me off both the Evans and Coleman bandwagons.

Evans reminds me a lot of Colston, a slowish, bigger possession receiver type. However if you're talking possession receivers, the 49ers have enough of those as it is. I'm hoping that they find someone explosive, who can get downfield in a hurry, someone that the opposing defense has to put a safety over the top to defend...just in case. Baltimore lit teams up in the playoffs because they had their possession receivers(Boldin and Pitta) and had deep threat guys who could stretch the field in Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones.

49ers have the possession guys(Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Patton), they don't have any real deep downfield threats. That is what I think is the biggest need.

In terms of a great deep threat, I'd LOVE for the 49ers to acquire Sammy Watkins of Clemson who is a threat to take it to the house pretty much everytime he touches the ball, he has great speed and even better acceleration and gets downfield in a hurry but he's looking like an early-mid1st rounder right about now, wouldn't even be shocked to see him get picked before Lee does. He's been having a heck of a season and is a natural playmaker.
. I can definitely understand where Ur coming from with the speed necessity but I just feel Evans would be great in our offense. He's big, strong, and I think he's Fairly fast for a 6'5 guy. Baldwin is big but he has shown he can't catch. Evans catches everything in his Sight, and he does it in the sec. I feel we can get our speed wideout later on in the draft, someone like Dre Archer would be great and we could put him as a returner as well.
Share 49ersWebzone