There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Phoenix49ers 2014 Mock Draft V1.0

Watched the Missouri/Georgia game twice cuz I was bored and was impressed with their wr L'Damian Washington. 6'4" 210 I think, with what looks like good deep speed but can fight for and catch the intermediate stuff as well. Looks really lean and wiry but actually seems strong and tough in spite of it.

CBS sports has him as a 7-FA but I think he could be a real sleeper. Was wondering what phoenix's thoughts on him were and if he could be a viable option for us but maybe MVP could enlighten us as well
Originally posted by eonblue:
I'm really not trying to be a dick, Phoenix, but the first defensive series against Utah Reynolds misses 3 tackles that lead to an additional 40 yards. He gave up half the drives yardage, and the TD. He doesn't even wrap up. I think it may have gotten into his head because I know that they teach better form at Stanford, and he was not wrapping up on purpose. I would've benched him.

Your not being a dick at all Reynolds f**king blows just consider the source who is recommending we draft him I think we should pass!!!!!!! LMAO

Last I heard Daaa'Rick Rogers was working at EL Diablo Los Lobos restaurant back in Tennessee flipping burgers!!!!!!!
Originally posted by 49ersMVP:
Your not being a dick at all Reynolds f**king blows just consider the source who is recommending we draft him I think we should pass!!!!!!! LMAO

Last I heard Daaa'Rick Rogers was working at EL Diablo Los Lobos restaurant back in Tennessee flipping burgers!!!!!!!

Rogers is still on the Colts practice Squad.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I'm really not trying to be a dick, Phoenix, but the first defensive series against Utah Reynolds misses 3 tackles that lead to an additional 40 yards. He gave up half the drives yardage, and the TD. He doesn't even wrap up. I think it may have gotten into his head because I know that they teach better form at Stanford, and he was not wrapping up on purpose. I would've benched him.

He had a bad series, it happens, like I said, I like Reynolds a lot for his coverage abilities, I know he needs to improve as a tackler and I think NFL level coaching could help a lot, not sure that the Stanford coaching isn't somewhat living on reputation or mystique at this point, looking at Chase Thomas, that was the one factor that Atlanta really had to drill into him to wrap up properly. At this point, I really like the thought of having two safeties who absolutely excel in coverage, throw in some tougher, more hard-nosed CB play and it great would open things up for Fangio to start blitzing with reckless abandon and send 5 guys after the QB on passing down.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He had a bad series, it happens, like I said, I like Reynolds a lot for his coverage abilities, I know he needs to improve as a tackler and I think NFL level coaching could help a lot, not sure that the Stanford coaching isn't somewhat living on reputation or mystique at this point, looking at Chase Thomas, that was the one factor that Atlanta really had to drill into him to wrap up properly. At this point, I really like the thought of having two safeties who absolutely excel in coverage, throw in some tougher, more hard-nosed CB play and it great would open things up for Fangio to start blitzing with reckless abandon and send 5 guys after the QB on passing down.
It wasn't just a bad series. He whiffed on 3 other tackles in the 1st half. Admittedly, I didn't see the 2nd.

Here's the thing. Fangios safeties are required to move up and tackle. You know this. Sometimes they're the last guy to make the tackle while others set the edge. Other time they're jumping routes to make the tackle for a huge loss. Fangios safeties launch at the receiver and it pays off big time.

In the Utah game Reynolds was not even trying to tackle the player. He essentially played containment. He let the guy run the edge until there was only Reynolds and the line then the receiver would just truck Reynolds for a couple of extra yards. He was too afraid to tackle he let the receiver run into him. I'm sure Stanford isn't teaching him this.

I mean your telling me an NFL coaching staff will make him better but the NFL player is considerably faster, stronger, and bigger. That makes this guy a liability.

He's not a fit for this system. His coverage skills are nice, but not at the price of tackling which is such a fundamental part of this defense. Our safeties cause turnovers and drops when they launch from 15 yards out to tackle.

Going from Whitner to Reynolds would make the team weaker. We can draft an upgrade in coverage, and still maintain the hard nosed tackling style. They're are plenty of really good SS in this class, and if you want to make coverage stronger then we should just draft a shutdown corner.

That's just my opinion on it. I guess we both know how we feel about it at this point.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersMVP:
Your not being a dick at all Reynolds f**king blows just consider the source who is recommending we draft him I think we should pass!!!!!!! LMAO

Last I heard Daaa'Rick Rogers was working at EL Diablo Los Lobos restaurant back in Tennessee flipping burgers!!!!!!!

Why is it you follow Phoenix to every thread trolling about Da'Rick Rogers? GTFO! Phoenix has contributed more to this board than you could ever imagine.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by 49ersMVP:
Your not being a dick at all Reynolds f**king blows just consider the source who is recommending we draft him I think we should pass!!!!!!! LMAO

Last I heard Daaa'Rick Rogers was working at EL Diablo Los Lobos restaurant back in Tennessee flipping burgers!!!!!!!

Why is it you follow Phoenix to every thread trolling about Da'Rick Rogers? GTFO! Phoenix has contributed more to this board than you could ever imagine.

Seriously WTF is dudes problem? Troooohhhhhhhhl
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Seriously WTF is dudes problem? Troooohhhhhhhhl


Dude is all up on my nuts like I'm Kanye and he's Kim, dunno why.
Originally posted by sfout:
awe it is that time of the year isn't it....

one thing.....I think we can all forget about drafting smallish shifty WRs any time within the next several years. Our division is not conducive to their abilities and we've whiffed on 2 out of 3

Ron Johnson: good faith pick by Baalke after WR coach Morton vouched for him. Lost Doug Baldwin to Seattle cause of it
Jenkins: thank god we got Baldwin for him
Patton: We don't know what we have in him and now he has a bum foot.

We'll be going big and fast at WR until Seattle loses their DBs to FA

Love the idea of getting Keith Price though. Definitely my QB position draft crush
Agreed!! And I'll even say that we need to be looking at bigger, more physical CB's as well. But I really don't think we need another sub-6'3", 210lb WR. We have enough guys who can't get off the LOS, who have to schemed open. No matter what we're doing on offense teams are locking up on our WR's in jam press 1-on-1. At some point teams are gonna force us to beat man coverage. I know Roman is creative but at some point it'll catch up with us. I think we need to get a big physical WR in the 2nd or 3rd.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Agreed!! And I'll even say that we need to be looking at bigger, more physical CB's as well. But I really don't think we need another sub-6'3", 210lb WR. We have enough guys who can't get off the LOS, who have to schemed open. No matter what we're doing on offense teams are locking up on our WR's in jam press 1-on-1. At some point teams are gonna force us to beat man coverage. I know Roman is creative but at some point it'll catch up with us. I think we need to get a big physical WR in the 2nd or 3rd.

The key is speed, not size, if size was the key, Browner would have had a heck of a lot harder time defending Fitzgerald, a taller, more physical receiver than he would have with TY Hilton, a smallish, much faster but far lesser receiver. I watched Hilton give their secondary fits, they had to push Thomas way back deep, Browner when he wasn't blatantly holding Hilton, couldn't keep up with him to save his life. Its not that the 49ers lack physicality, with Crabtree, Boldin and Baldwin they have plenty of physicality but they completely lack speed on the outside. This team has no deep threat other than VD. They need someone that will threaten defenses deep which will force them to keep their safety back.


Also, generally speaking, you beat press coverage with two things, either speed or playcalling. If they're playing right up on your guy, utilize some slants, beat them inside repeatedly. But its clear that this offense desperately needs an infusion of speed, more than anything else by far.
If you think Baalke and company are going to burn two first round picks on safety, you are smoking some serious gonga. I also like how the OL was completely ignored, and waiting for round 7 for a qb, when next years draft class will be good for qb's is crazyy!! If you can pick up a quality back up on a four year deal, you do it b4 round 7.
Originally posted by 9erred:
If you think Baalke and company are going to burn two first round picks on safety, you are smoking some serious gonga. I also like how the OL was completely ignored, and waiting for round 7 for a qb, when next years draft class will be good for qb's is crazyy!! If you can pick up a quality back up on a four year deal, you do it b4 round 7.

It all depends on whether or not Whitner gets re-signed, if he walks, 49ers are going to need a safety...and early. With the way offenses have evolved, safety is incredibly crucial, so yes, I see them taking another safety, if not with a 1st rounder then with a 2nd round pick, its not position you mess around with. Baalke dropped 2 1st rounders in the same draft on an offensive tackle and an offensive guard, so don't act like there isn't some precedent when it comes to filling needs.


As far as OL, you obviously didn't read what I posted if you think OL was ignored.

"Round 3(Comp Pick-Goldson)-Brandon Thomas-6'3", 320-OT/OG-Clemson. Very experienced, long-term starter, solid all-around, can slide in at guard or tackle, would provide quality depth for a team that desperately needs it on the OL, especially if Goodwin is let go and Kilgore slides in as the starter next season."


QB? There's no reason to draft a QB early, 49ers have a lot of other pressing needs, mainly the secondary, WR, depth along the DL, OL, all more pressing than drafting a QB.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 18, 2013 at 2:26 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 9erred:
If you think Baalke and company are going to burn two first round picks on safety, you are smoking some serious gonga. I also like how the OL was completely ignored, and waiting for round 7 for a qb, when next years draft class will be good for qb's is crazyy!! If you can pick up a quality back up on a four year deal, you do it b4 round 7.

It all depends on whether or not Whitner gets re-signed, if he walks, 49ers are going to need a safety...and early. With the way offenses have evolved, safety is incredibly crucial, so yes, I see them taking another safety, if not with a 1st rounder then with a 2nd round pick, its not position you mess around with. Baalke dropped 2 1st rounders in the same draft on an offensive tackle and an offensive guard, so don't act like there isn't some precedent when it comes to filling needs.


As far as OL, you obviously didn't read what I posted if you think OL was ignored.

"Round 3(Comp Pick-Goldson)-Brandon Thomas-6'3", 320-OT/OG-Clemson. Very experienced, long-term starter, solid all-around, can slide in at guard or tackle, would provide quality depth for a team that desperately needs it on the OL, especially if Goodwin is let go and Kilgore slides in as the starter next season."


QB? There's no reason to draft a QB early, 49ers have a lot of other pressing needs, mainly the secondary, WR, depth along the DL, OL, all more pressing than drafting a QB.

Yes, Colt McCoy (who will be a FA) and Betherl-Thompson inspire confidence if CK7 where to go down. CK7 is going into a contract year, the Niners need to secure a back up who can be a number one if CK7 is injured. Getting a qb in round 2-4 (if they have value at that point) would be wise. The new league rookie deals makes a 4 year deal qb a value because guaranteed money is low.

Still disagree with a safety so early, but you did put a lot of effort into the mock.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Yes, Colt McCoy (who will be a FA) and Betherl-Thompson inspire confidence if CK7 where to go down. CK7 is going into a contract year, the Niners need to secure a back up who can be a number one if CK7 is injured. Getting a qb in round 2-4 (if they have value at that point) would be wise. The new league rookie deals makes a 4 year deal qb a value because guaranteed money is low.

Still disagree with a safety so early, but you did put a lot of effort into the mock.

The reality is that if your starting QB goes down, you're more or less screwed. The idea that you should draft a backup QB with a high pick is nonsense. Look at teams like Green Bay and New England who regularly have made do with later round picks and made them into serviceable backups. You don't waste a top pick on a guy who may never play.

You take a QB in the later rounds and develop them with the idea of having them build up into a high quality backup. 49ers will need multiple CB's, they will need help at WR, they will need depth at DL, all of those positions override a backup QB in terms of importance. There are and will be plenty of quality QB's available in Rounds 5, 6 and 7 to choose from if they even go that route rather than signing a veteran backup.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Yes, Colt McCoy (who will be a FA) and Betherl-Thompson inspire confidence if CK7 where to go down. CK7 is going into a contract year, the Niners need to secure a back up who can be a number one if CK7 is injured. Getting a qb in round 2-4 (if they have value at that point) would be wise. The new league rookie deals makes a 4 year deal qb a value because guaranteed money is low.

Still disagree with a safety so early, but you did put a lot of effort into the mock.

The reality is that if your starting QB goes down, you're more or less screwed. The idea that you should draft a backup QB with a high pick is nonsense. Look at teams like Green Bay and New England who regularly have made do with later round picks and made them into serviceable backups. You don't waste a top pick on a guy who may never play.

You take a QB in the later rounds and develop them with the idea of having them build up into a high quality backup. 49ers will need multiple CB's, they will need help at WR, they will need depth at DL, all of those positions override a backup QB in terms of importance. There are and will be plenty of quality QB's available in Rounds 5, 6 and 7 to choose from if they even go that route rather than signing a veteran backup.

1. The Redskins where foolish to draft kirk cousins in round 4 the same year they traded away 3 number ones for RG III
2. The Broncos where foolish to draft Osweiller with a high pick with Peyton Manning at the helm.
3. The Seahawks where foolish to draft Wilson with a 3rd round pick with Flynn as appointed starter via FA.
4. The Eagles where foolish to get Nick Foles when Vick was the starter.
5. Green Bay burned a first rounder knowing Brett Favre would start for a few more years.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE CK7, and think he is the future. That being said, if a qb value falls into the lap of the niners, with multiple 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks, I would have zero problem with drafting that qb, knowing you might only have them for four seasons. Heck if they are good, you might be able to trade them going into year 4. Back up qb is important, that is all I am saying,. I would prefer to NOT be screwed if CK 7 goes down.