There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Phoenix49ers 2014 Mock Draft V1.0

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Went ahead and watched some Ed Reynolds games and came away very very unimpressed. Observations:

  • He looks like the smallest guy out there. You watch a niner game today and there's Whitner, a bit short, but with the thickness of a nose tackle, and a real big kid in Eric. I mean even on this team, and even against NFL competition Eric Reid looks like a grown man. This guy looks like Craig Dahl
  • He missed so many tackles that after a while I wasn't even expecting him to make routine tackles. After the 4th or 5th miss I was disgusted
  • He misread way too many plays. Hit the wrong gap, went the wrong way, etc.
  • Hands aren't elite. He dropped a few would-be picks
  • He is SLOW. SLLLLLOOOOOWWWW. On the pick 6 against UCLA I was amazed that he made it into the endzone. I want to see him line up in a race against Staley. I got my money on 74

The thing that works towards him is 1 seasons of really impressive stats. I'm not seeing that same type of production this year, and am not seeing how those numbers were produced when watching him games. I really really want to like him. We need a safety, I like Stanford players, and LOVE college production. I was really sad that I couldn't feel great about him after watching him play.


As far as tackling, absolutely, that is one of his weaknesses but something that I think primarily comes from taking bad angles, bad footwork, all things that can be coached up at the next level. There is literally nobody that doubts that Reynolds can improve as far as tackling and stopping the run.

Now as for the rest, you lost me completely.

As far as the first part, I have no idea what you're talking about in terms of size, Reynolds is about 6'1....6'2", that puts him into Eric Reid territory. He looks to be about 195-200 pounds, hardly small for his size so I don't know where any of that came from.


In terms of coverage, he's still raw but shows tremendous instincts moving around the field. He's definitely more of the true centerfielder type and ends up in the right spot the vast majority of the time. At times he's been caught peeking into the backfield and thus getting beat by misdirections but once more, something that is coachable, however as far as being able to stick with pretty much anyone in coverage, I don't think there's much doubt about his abilities.

I think his hands are actually pretty solid, he ends up in position to knock away passes so frequently that people tend to notice it more often because he's always around the ball.....which IMO is a good thing, if your free safety is frequently in a position to make an interception or a play on the ball, that is pretty much the ideal.

As far as being slow, now you've really lost me. No he's not a 4.3 guy but his speed is certainly more than suitable, he has shown the ability to keep up with speedy deep threat wide receivers, running backs and physical tight-ends. Go take a look at his recent performance against Washington, he clearly upped his stock and showed tremendous versatility all over the field.



A quietly but equally effective contribution to Stanford's victory, however, was redshirt junior free safety Ed Reynolds, whose coverage skills helped limit Washington's ability to find talented pass-catchers Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Kasen Williams.

Both Seferian-Jenkins (tight end) and Williams (wide receiver) are legitimate early round NFL prospects but the juniors struggled to make impactful plays for most of the night in large part because of Reynold's range and physicality.

Williams became a significant factor as the Huskies made a valiant fourth quarter comeback but his production (five catches for 89 yards) came mostly on deep out-breaking routes when he drew single coverage.

At 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, Reynolds possesses the lanky build scouts are looking for at the position. He also demonstrated good agility and acceleration to handle covering Seferian-Jenkins out of the slot as well as supply deep help over the top to limit Price, normally an aggressive deep-ball passer.

The high academic requirements Stanford imposes usually equate to instinctive, technically-sound defenders and that is certainly the case with Reynolds, a savvy defender and reliable open-field tackler. Reynolds breaks down well in space and delivers a pop on contact, often driving ball-carriers back.




With Reynolds there is A LOT of potential to develop. Poor tackling technique and footwork all can be coached up but his natural instincts that allow him to be a ballhawk and end up where the ball goes in so many circumstances simply can't.


You do make a good point in terms of Reid still being very raw and having only one season under his belt, which is why I'm so interested to see how this season unfolds, how he performs against Oregon and how consistent he is throughout this season. I'm still a huge fan, I see a really smart player with a ton of potential, a guy who can handle defending receivers and tight-end's a like, someone who could be an ideal centerfielder type of safety with enough hard hitting ability to have receivers hearing footsteps all game long.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Nice mock Phoenix. Odell Beckham Jr. is honestly one of my most favorite targets right now. He's the type of guy that can run onto the ball on the deep routes.


Here are his snaps from LSU's second game of this season. It's a pretty monumental display.

I don't like your Ed Reynolds pick. I've watched a lot of his snaps from last year, and he looked absolutely atrocious at tackling. He seems like the type of guy that misses 3-4 TD saving tackles a year. His hands are suspect as well. For a guy that is as phenomenal at reading WR's his hands almost nullify it. One game I was watching he let 3-4 balls slap him in the hands, but he had 6 picks last year. So far this year he only has 1. I'll be honest though I have watched 3 Stanford games this year, but I have focused primarily on the front 7, and for that reason I won't be too meticulous. I guess I'm just waiting on him to really exert his dominance in the secondary.

Would you pick Reynolds over Clinton-Dix?

I like Beckham a lot. I know a lot of people are clamoring for physical receivers but I feel like this team needs an infusion of pure speed and playmaking ability the most. They have plenty of possession receivers on this team, now they need some guys to stretch the defense, guys who will force teams to keep a safety over the top and I love the playmaking ability that Beckham brings. Just because they blew with Jenkins doesn't mean they should stop trying for explosive, deep-threat's at wide receiver. If you look at Seattle, they got hammered by TY Hilton who they simply couldn't keep up with, reminding me of their game against Detroit last season where Titus Young similarly had his way with them. Then downside to big physical cornerback's is that they don't move nearly as well and Hilton had Browner turned inside and out, confused on exactly what the heck was going on.



As far as Reynolds, read my long-ass post above. He had a very good game against Washington, he's still pretty raw but he's got a lot of potential, is very intelligent, has optimal size for the position, is an iffy tackler and clearly needs to work on that part of his game but he's a natural in deep coverage and a hard hitter to boot. He's only had one full season thus far so I'm really curious to see how he winds up at the end of this season but so far, so good.4


Also as far as your last question, I think both safeties have similar potential but I see Clinton-Dix as being a little more athletic and more pro-ready due to the coaching he's received from Nick Saban so I would go with him, however I'm pretty sure he'll be the first safety off the board and gone well before the 49ers pick.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,696
Originally posted by kazak13:
talking about the draft a year from now is like talking about what the weather would be like then... C'mon guy! a lot can happen between now and the end of the college season

So why bother chiming in, its not like your saying anything new.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,696
f**k that....Ed Reynolds is a beast....hell yeah Phoenix I'm with you bro, especially the Justin Gilbert pick. That would be a dream first two rounds right there.
lol Reynolds looks so bad in this UCLA game
Originally posted by dhp318:
lol Reynolds looks so bad in this UCLA game

+1
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Went ahead and watched some Ed Reynolds games and came away very very unimpressed. Observations:

  • He looks like the smallest guy out there. You watch a niner game today and there's Whitner, a bit short, but with the thickness of a nose tackle, and a real big kid in Eric. I mean even on this team, and even against NFL competition Eric Reid looks like a grown man. This guy looks like Craig Dahl
  • He missed so many tackles that after a while I wasn't even expecting him to make routine tackles. After the 4th or 5th miss I was disgusted
  • He misread way too many plays. Hit the wrong gap, went the wrong way, etc.
  • Hands aren't elite. He dropped a few would-be picks
  • He is SLOW. SLLLLLOOOOOWWWW. On the pick 6 against UCLA I was amazed that he made it into the endzone. I want to see him line up in a race against Staley. I got my money on 74

The thing that works towards him is 1 seasons of really impressive stats. I'm not seeing that same type of production this year, and am not seeing how those numbers were produced when watching him games. I really really want to like him. We need a safety, I like Stanford players, and LOVE college production. I was really sad that I couldn't feel great about him after watching him play.


As far as tackling, absolutely, that is one of his weaknesses but something that I think primarily comes from taking bad angles, bad footwork, all things that can be coached up at the next level. There is literally nobody that doubts that Reynolds can improve as far as tackling and stopping the run.

Now as for the rest, you lost me completely.

As far as the first part, I have no idea what you're talking about in terms of size, Reynolds is about 6'1....6'2", that puts him into Eric Reid territory. He looks to be about 195-200 pounds, hardly small for his size so I don't know where any of that came from.


In terms of coverage, he's still raw but shows tremendous instincts moving around the field. He's definitely more of the true centerfielder type and ends up in the right spot the vast majority of the time. At times he's been caught peeking into the backfield and thus getting beat by misdirections but once more, something that is coachable, however as far as being able to stick with pretty much anyone in coverage, I don't think there's much doubt about his abilities.

I think his hands are actually pretty solid, he ends up in position to knock away passes so frequently that people tend to notice it more often because he's always around the ball.....which IMO is a good thing, if your free safety is frequently in a position to make an interception or a play on the ball, that is pretty much the ideal.

As far as being slow, now you've really lost me. No he's not a 4.3 guy but his speed is certainly more than suitable, he has shown the ability to keep up with speedy deep threat wide receivers, running backs and physical tight-ends. Go take a look at his recent performance against Washington, he clearly upped his stock and showed tremendous versatility all over the field.



A quietly but equally effective contribution to Stanford's victory, however, was redshirt junior free safety Ed Reynolds, whose coverage skills helped limit Washington's ability to find talented pass-catchers Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Kasen Williams.

Both Seferian-Jenkins (tight end) and Williams (wide receiver) are legitimate early round NFL prospects but the juniors struggled to make impactful plays for most of the night in large part because of Reynold's range and physicality.

Williams became a significant factor as the Huskies made a valiant fourth quarter comeback but his production (five catches for 89 yards) came mostly on deep out-breaking routes when he drew single coverage.

At 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, Reynolds possesses the lanky build scouts are looking for at the position. He also demonstrated good agility and acceleration to handle covering Seferian-Jenkins out of the slot as well as supply deep help over the top to limit Price, normally an aggressive deep-ball passer.

The high academic requirements Stanford imposes usually equate to instinctive, technically-sound defenders and that is certainly the case with Reynolds, a savvy defender and reliable open-field tackler. Reynolds breaks down well in space and delivers a pop on contact, often driving ball-carriers back.



With Reynolds there is A LOT of potential to develop. Poor tackling technique and footwork all can be coached up but his natural instincts that allow him to be a ballhawk and end up where the ball goes in so many circumstances simply can't.


You do make a good point in terms of Reid still being very raw and having only one season under his belt, which is why I'm so interested to see how this season unfolds, how he performs against Oregon and how consistent he is throughout this season. I'm still a huge fan, I see a really smart player with a ton of potential, a guy who can handle defending receivers and tight-end's a like, someone who could be an ideal centerfielder type of safety with enough hard hitting ability to have receivers hearing footsteps all game long.

Let me first start off by saying that he does have good qualities, and I did not mention them here. He does seem instinctive in coverage, and he is often around the ball. You're right about that, and it's also probably why there have been a few drops. If you're always around the ball, sometimes you'll drop a few. Agreed.

My issues with looking at a Stanford player and thinking he'll improve from better coaching is that right now he's getting some of the best coaching in college football, and he'll get more here, sure, but he's already getting A+ coaching, and still can't tackle to save his life.

I stick to my point on size. He may be listed as 6'2" 200+, but I don't see that on tape. Craig Dahl is listed at 6'1" 212, yet when he replaced Reid in the 'Hawks game, it looked like a little kid took a grown man's spot. It's specifically when he's tackling someone--he just never looks like the bigger, more physical player.I'm not saying he's small, but I think he's Dahl size, and that to me isn't the new mold of an NFL safety.

Still believe he hit the wrong hole too often. He's got good instincts in the pass game, but less so in the run game.

For the speed I have no data, but I'm floored if he runs a 4.3. The Staley comment was obviously an exaggeration, but I don't see anywhere near a 4.3 guy. I really really don't see that.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,696
Originally posted by dhp318:
lol Reynolds looks so bad in this UCLA game

Eric Reid also had his bad moments, I wouldn't judge Reynolds fully on that game.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
f**k that....Ed Reynolds is a beast....hell yeah Phoenix I'm with you bro, especially the Justin Gilbert pick. That would be a dream first two rounds right there.

this. Ed Reynolds would fit so well on our team.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Eric Reid also had his bad moments, I wouldn't judge Reynolds fully on that game.

They're multiple games to judge Reynolds on.

Also you can't minimize Reynolds deficiencies by comparing him to Reid.

I will admit coming into the draft Reid's tackling ability was precarious, but no where near the degree of Reynold's.

Reid played against more physical RB's, OL's, and WR's too.

Reid misjudged angles or hit the hole too quickly.

Reynold's misses the hole or misreads the play entirely. These mistakes lead to TD's in the NFL.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Let me first start off by saying that he does have good qualities, and I did not mention them here. He does seem instinctive in coverage, and he is often around the ball. You're right about that, and it's also probably why there have been a few drops. If you're always around the ball, sometimes you'll drop a few. Agreed.

My issues with looking at a Stanford player and thinking he'll improve from better coaching is that right now he's getting some of the best coaching in college football, and he'll get more here, sure, but he's already getting A+ coaching, and still can't tackle to save his life.

I stick to my point on size. He may be listed as 6'2" 200+, but I don't see that on tape. Craig Dahl is listed at 6'1" 212, yet when he replaced Reid in the 'Hawks game, it looked like a little kid took a grown man's spot. It's specifically when he's tackling someone--he just never looks like the bigger, more physical player.I'm not saying he's small, but I think he's Dahl size, and that to me isn't the new mold of an NFL safety.

Still believe he hit the wrong hole too often. He's got good instincts in the pass game, but less so in the run game.

For the speed I have no data, but I'm floored if he runs a 4.3. The Staley comment was obviously an exaggeration, but I don't see anywhere near a 4.3 guy. I really really don't see that.

I think we're on the same page. I'm not as critical about his weight though.

He does look lean, but if he weighs in 200+ then that wont be a problem.

Your absolutely right in saying Reynolds has good instincts in the passing game.

I think he would be great at playing single high safety.

Fangios defense requires two hard hitting safeties though so I just don't know if Reynolds is the right fit.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I like Beckham a lot. I know a lot of people are clamoring for physical receivers but I feel like this team needs an infusion of pure speed and playmaking ability the most. They have plenty of possession receivers on this team, now they need some guys to stretch the defense, guys who will force teams to keep a safety over the top and I love the playmaking ability that Beckham brings. Just because they blew with Jenkins doesn't mean they should stop trying for explosive, deep-threat's at wide receiver. If you look at Seattle, they got hammered by TY Hilton who they simply couldn't keep up with, reminding me of their game against Detroit last season where Titus Young similarly had his way with them. Then downside to big physical cornerback's is that they don't move nearly as well and Hilton had Browner turned inside and out, confused on exactly what the heck was going on.



As far as Reynolds, read my long-ass post above. He had a very good game against Washington, he's still pretty raw but he's got a lot of potential, is very intelligent, has optimal size for the position, is an iffy tackler and clearly needs to work on that part of his game but he's a natural in deep coverage and a hard hitter to boot. He's only had one full season thus far so I'm really curious to see how he winds up at the end of this season but so far, so good.4


Also as far as your last question, I think both safeties have similar potential but I see Clinton-Dix as being a little more athletic and more pro-ready due to the coaching he's received from Nick Saban so I would go with him, however I'm pretty sure he'll be the first safety off the board and gone well before the 49ers pick.

I just think it would better to try to trade into the 15-22 range, and see if we can get Roby, Purifoy, or Clinton-Dix.

If the coaches feel confidant in Reynolds that's good enough for me.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy watching him play, and I know he has talent. There's just a couple of minor issues I have with his technique.

I'm not saying he isn't worth picking. I just don't know if deserves the 1st rounder especially when we have the firepower to get a better position in the round.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 10, 2013 at 5:03 PM ]
With all those picks within the first three rounds it would not surprise me to see us nab a quality QB to backup Kap. With the nature of Baalke moving around in the draft so much there is no telling.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
With all those picks within the first three rounds it would not surprise me to see us nab a quality QB to backup Kap. With the nature of Baalke moving around in the draft so much there is no telling.

I wouldn't be surprised if we took a QB in one of the earlier rounds either. With all the backup QB changes, it's obvious Harbs has zero confidence in McCoy and the third stringers obviously aren't working out either. And honestly, I think the backup QB situation is impacting the (lack of) risks Kap is taking this year as opposed to last; last year we knew we could rely on Alex if some freak accident happened. Now, the season is practically down the drain if Kap goes down.

So yeah, I think it would be in our best interest to pick up a rookie QB in probably the 3rd round and develop him into a solid, serviceable backup so we could avoid the backup QB headache going forward.
Phoenix49ers this the guy who badly wanted the 49ers to draft in the upper rounds Da'Rick Rogers who went undrafted??????

Sorry bro can't take your picks seriously.

/thread
Originally posted by 49ersMVP:
Phoenix49ers this the guy who badly wanted the 49ers to draft in the upper rounds Da'Rick Rogers who went undrafted??????

Sorry bro can't take your picks seriously.

/thread

You following him around making the same post over and over is getting old. Get over yourself. So the guy was wrong about a prospect, everyone including guys who get paid big bucks to scout these guys and the gm who draft them are wrong a lot too. And seeing as how you just joined a few weeks ago yet are talking about something from April you are either a lurker or you are an existing member who is pissed off at him probably because he owned you at one point. Meanwhile the rest of us enjoy his posts because he is one of the most knowledgeable posters on here even though he, like the rest of us, is wrong at times.

Edit: Ok now I get it. The Bucs staph infection thread that totally went off topic is where it started. He picked on your colloidal silver so you went through all his posts for countless hours and found out he liked Rogers and now you're going to keep calling him out on it to get back at him.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersMVP:
Phoenix49ers this the guy who badly wanted the 49ers to draft in the upper rounds Da'Rick Rogers who went undrafted??????

Sorry bro can't take your picks seriously.

/thread

If you can't take his picks seriously then don't read them.

You have the right to choose the content you find suitable, but /thread is ridiculoua because many people here value what Phoenix has to say.