There are 171 users in the forums

POLL: Was the 2012 49ers Draft a complete bust?

POLL: Was the 2012 49ers Draft a complete bust?

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Yes, without a doubt !!

The point to note is not just what crap did Baalke pick, is what we could have picked instead !! Does Alshon Jeffery ring a bell anyone ?
I would have preferred they traded every pick to move up to get Michael Floyd.
I didn't like the AJ Jenkins or LMJ selections, but gave Baalke the benefit of the doubt anyway. Out of 7 picks, we're left with Looney & whatever we got for trading Cam. So a possible starter and a 7th round selection... That's definitely the biggest bust since the Donahue era (at a minimum).
Of course!
Obviously
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
How about taking AJ Jenkins instead of Alshon Jeffery. I agree it was a bad year but the Niners totally bombed

Ok, so thats 1.
People still would have considered this draft a bust.

That also means we would have taken somebody who was projected to go rounds 2-3 with our 1st round pick.
joe looney better turn into a stud after we lose iupati, otherwise this is probably the worst draft in 49ers history.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
How about taking AJ Jenkins instead of Alshon Jeffery. I agree it was a bad year but the Niners totally bombed

Ok, so thats 1.

That also means we would have taken somebody who was projected to go rounds 2-3 with our 1st round pick.

A lot of people had late first round grades on Alshon, including myself. I even mocked us taking Alshon in the first. He just wasnt popular on these boards because of one SI cover photo. Everyone was convinced he was fat and lazy based on one photo and they ran with it. But just because he wasnt popular around here doesnt mean that he had a 2-3 round grade on most experts boards. The majority of rankings i saw leading into the draft had him late 1st- early 2nd round grades

There were a whole bunch of options at the first and second picks. I wont go into detail naming them, they can be found easily enough.
Originally posted by Quest4six:

Ok, so thats 1.

And AJ Jenkins wasnt? Please. Jeffery was more highly rated than Jenkins by just about everyone.
Classic case of the braintrust out-thinking itself, perhaps believing they were seeing what others didn't or couldn't, as in the case of Jenkins and LMJ. That horrendous draft's legacy was only worsened by their decision to release Winston, retain LMJ, only to release him as well, when I think every fan on this website could see Winston's value over James', especially after the preseason!
Looney and Cam looked to be the best values in the draft, and what do they do, release Cam after a superlative effort. I don't know where he is now, or if he's going to go anywhere in his career, but of that draft class, he's perhaps one of the ones we should have kept, along with looney.

It's so bad nobody even claimed LMJ off waivers
Anyone else think that this draft class is a reason why every pick made the team this year? Need to start getting some younger players to keep the opportunity to win the Super Bowl in place year after year?
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
Anyone else think that this draft class is a reason why every pick made the team this year? Need to start getting some younger players to keep the opportunity to win the Super Bowl in place year after year?

There was a lot that contributed to the young guys sticking around this season. Injurys, suspensions, letting older vets go, teams snatching players that would have gone on the PS for development over the last few seasons, etc. But yes, had we hit in that draft there would be less open spots available for the taking.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Classic case of the braintrust out-thinking itself, perhaps believing they were seeing what others didn't or couldn't, as in the case of Jenkins and LMJ. That horrendous draft's legacy was only worsened by their decision to release Winston, retain LMJ, only to release him as well, when I think every fan on this website could see Winston's value over James', especially after the preseason!
Looney and Cam looked to be the best values in the draft, and what do they do, release Cam after a superlative effort. I don't know where he is now, or if he's going to go anywhere in his career, but of that draft class, he's perhaps one of the ones we should have kept, along with looney.

Well said !!

Cutting Winston and keeping LMJ is really yet another major cock-up on Baalke's part without a doubt. Now, the kid is on Brown's 53, we can't even get him back. What a waste of a talent !! I just hope and pray that Gaskins guy has something special.
it looked good at first ...Least we got Looney out of the Deal
Share 49ersWebzone