LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

POLL: Was the 2012 49ers Draft a complete bust?

POLL: Was the 2012 49ers Draft a complete bust?

1 (30) - A.J. Jenkins, WR, Illinois
2 (61) - LaMichael James, RB, Oregon
4 (117) - Joe Looney, OG, Wake Forest
5 (165) - Darius Fleming, OLB, Notre Dame
6 (180) - Trent Robinson, FS, Michigan State
6 (199) - Jason Slowey, OL, Western Oregon
7 (237) - Cam Johnson, DE/OLB, Virginia
Why even make this thread. Of course it was a complete bust.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
1 (30) - A.J. Jenkins, WR, Illinois
2 (61) - LaMichael James, RB, Oregon
4 (117) - Joe Looney, OG, Wake Forest
5 (165) - Darius Fleming, OLB, Notre Dame
6 (180) - Trent Robinson, FS, Michigan State
6 (199) - Jason Slowey, OL, Western Oregon
7 (237) - Cam Johnson, DE/OLB, Virginia

Yes.....

and.....

This thread should get the award for most obvious thread of the week.

Considering we only have 2 of the picks left and they are inactive on game day yes they are.

Only saving grace is that Baldwin technically came with our #1 pick and will "have a significant role this weekend" and presumably beyond.
[ Edited by sfout on Oct 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM ]
In terms of busts, the only guys I'd consider total busts are Jenkins and Slowey. I was disappointed that Trent Robinson didn't step up, but he was a 6th rounder after all.

James I think can be a very effective, even very good player in the NFL as long as he is used the right way and thus the 49ers haven't done so really, but this is also a guy who stepped up and made some huge plays for this team late in the year when they needed it, especially in that Atlanta game.

Looney-Book is out, if he looks listless next offseason, I'd say he's a goner, I could buy he had injury issues but he needs to show something.

Fleming-Bad luck with injuries, nothing really the 49ers could have done with this pick, not their fault he got injured twice.

Cam Johnson-Hard to call him a bust when he was a late 7th rounder and they got basically that in return for him.

The X-Factor is what Baldwin does with the 49ers, if he flips a switch and becomes a useful WR for them, especially with his physical size and abilities, that is what I consider turning a frown upside down.
LaMichael James....
Well, checking on the meaning of the word "complete" the answer has to be no. Major disappointment though. A reminder that the draft is a crapshoot. Get loads of picks and your chances improve.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Close enough.

I do not want to see another draft like this.
Yup.

Definitely the worst of the Baalke era.
I think the better question is who was a bigger bust Rashaun Woods or AJ Jenkins. This draft was horrible. yeah its a crap shoot but niners crapped out alot in this one. James and Looney the only ones left and not even active. Definitely dont want to see a repeat of this draft again.
Yes and WHY is this issue revisited again and again?

I remember that the niners brass thought our roster was full and nobody would make the team. They were half right.
First of all there have been like 3 threads with a ton of discussion on this already. If you look at we have James, Looney, Fleming left. If you get technical you can count Baldwin who is basically our 2012 1st round pick now. We also got a 7th for Johnson next year so yet to see how that player turns out. Also, we didn't used our 3rd in 2012 and that turned into Carolina's 3rd this year which was used to trade up to get Eric Reid. So look at this way without that 3rd no Eric Reid or say we still trade up for Reid with OUR 3rd than no Corey Lemonier. So either no Reid or no Lemonier without that 2012 3rd we didn't use that turned into a 2013 3rd. Also, think we used a 6th we got from trading down in 3rd or 4th last year to pick Moody this year. So depends on how you look at it. If you just look at the players selected or if you include the trades involved.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 4, 2013 at 6:45 PM ]
i am.so drunk and lazy:
could anyone give me a "where are they now" overview except for the glorious first-round pick PLEASE?

wait a minute...basically, we are talking about 6th and 7th round picks, right??? and there were several threads opened on this issue already???
now, if i am drunk and still able to get how pointless this issue is, how crack -overdosed are the thread-openers??????
[ Edited by communist on Oct 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
In terms of busts, the only guys I'd consider total busts are Jenkins and Slowey. I was disappointed that Trent Robinson didn't step up, but he was a 6th rounder after all.

James I think can be a very effective, even very good player in the NFL as long as he is used the right way and thus the 49ers haven't done so really, but this is also a guy who stepped up and made some huge plays for this team late in the year when they needed it, especially in that Atlanta game.

Looney-Book is out, if he looks listless next offseason, I'd say he's a goner, I could buy he had injury issues but he needs to show something.

Fleming-Bad luck with injuries, nothing really the 49ers could have done with this pick, not their fault he got injured twice.

Cam Johnson-Hard to call him a bust when he was a late 7th rounder and they got basically that in return for him.

The X-Factor is what Baldwin does with the 49ers, if he flips a switch and becomes a useful WR for them, especially with his physical size and abilities, that is what I consider turning a frown upside down.

this... great stuff Phoenix
2012 NFL draft re-do:

1 (30) - Doug Martin, RB2 (61) - Russell Wilson, QB4 (117) - Jared Crick, DT5 (165) - Alfred Morris, RB

s**t, the re-do sucks too after the 4th selection. That entire draft was GARBAGE. Don't blame the 9ers, blame the draft class
Share 49ersWebzone