LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Baalke needs to get over himself

Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by Louisiana49er:
2012 draft was a bust....2013 draft he selects four players with major injuries...

No kidding. Baalke is way overrated.

This. Give me a break. Rather have McCloughan? Drunk b*****d, who didn't do his job when he was suppose to. Or let the HC be GM like Nolan was, and failed. Gave big deals to players who were busts, Jonas Jennings, Michael Lewis, and Nate Clements.

Also, not at you Chip, at Rascal.

Originally posted by gunslinger8:
We had more picks in last years draft than anyone. Everybody in the civilized world knew we needed CB help and WR help. So we used half our picks on guys that can't even play this year? Exactly how long does this guy think our window will be open for? And although Aldon is a beast, I haven't seen character issues like this since Pac Man. Oh and thanks for Jenkins. Have him give regards to Mays....

If a GM just thinks short-term and goes all in with no regard to building a sustainable winner, the fans complain. If a GM invests a few draft picks (even while addressing many current needs) on highly-regard players that may not deliver TODAY but could be studs in the future, fans jump all over him.

I think fans just like complaining and even more so when the team is losing.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Sep 23, 2013 at 2:51 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
We had more picks in last years draft than anyone. Everybody in the civilized world knew we needed CB help and WR help. So we used half our picks on guys that can't even play this year? Exactly how long does this guy think our window will be open for? And although Aldon is a beast, I haven't seen character issues like this since Pac Man. Oh and thanks for Jenkins. Have him give regards to Mays....

If a GM just thinks short-term and goes all in with no regard to building a sustainable winner, the fans complain. If a GM invests a few draft picks (even while addressing many current needs) on highly-regard players that may not deliver TODAY but could be studs in the future, fans jump all over him.

NinerTalk after a loss is as painful as getting a root canal. Seriously, he felt like he had addressed the position in 2012 with AJ Jenkins in the first round and thought the bigger need early on was to get an impact FS to fill the void. Reid has proven after 3 games to be a terrific prospect. He also addressed the WR situation by drafting Patton in the 4th when many thought he would be a 2nd rd pick. Then signed Boldin. Guess he should be faulted for not knowing that Crabs would get hurt.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

NinerTalk after a loss is as painful as getting a root canal. Seriously, he felt like he had addressed the position in 2012 with AJ Jenkins in the first round and thought the bigger need early on was to get an impact FS to fill the void. Reid has proven after 3 games to be a terrific prospect. He also addressed the WR situation by drafting Patton in the 4th when many thought he would be a 2nd rd pick. Then signed Boldin. Guess he should be faulted for not knowing that Crabs would get hurt.

Exactly.

Even though the team is playing s**tty right now, their future is bright IMO. We have a lot of quality players just unable to play at the moment....when they get back on the field (whether that's this year or next), we'll be fine. Plus all the picks we have next year. I'm still very bullish on this team now and for the next few years, regardless of their current play on the field and what all the crybabies think.
Exactly.

Even though the team is playing s**tty right now, their future is bright IMO. We have a lot of quality players just unable to play at the moment....when they get back on the field (whether that's this year or next), we'll be fine. Plus all the picks we have next year. I'm still very bullish on this team now and for the next few years, regardless of their current play on the field and what all the crybabies think.

If everyone is healthy next season, this team looks like it could be an absolute juggernaut, especially with the addition of a bunch of top draft picks, new CB's, new WR, more depth on the DL...etc.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Baalke is way overrated.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If nothing else, this team is going to be absolutely loaded to the max after one more draft. Even if they struggle this season due to injuries.....Superbowl hangover..whatever, with everyone healthy plus the crapload of picks they have in a completely loaded draft, I can see them stumbling this season and coming out and tearing s**t up assuming they can get their playcalling issues worked out.

We are in a mini-rebuilding stage. They will get this receiver issue straightened out after the year is over. Same with the CB's.
So we were counting on Kyle Williams and AJ Jenkins as WR depth?!

Most could have told you last season that neither of them were anything special and apparently the Niners agreed with AJ since they traded him in Mid August.
Originally posted by rondoman:
So we were counting on Kyle Williams and AJ Jenkins as WR depth?!

Most could have told you last season that neither of them were anything special and apparently the Niners agreed with AJ since they traded him in Mid August.

Most teams have crap at the bottom of their WR corps. It's just not realistic to expect teams to have studs as #4/5 WRs; in this day and age, when one of your top offensive weapons goes down, you're pretty much screwed.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
WR wasn't an issue, we had Crabs healthy, not till May is when he hurt his leg. Or we probably would of drafted a WR higher.

This.

Lots of kneejerk reactions. The 2013 draft set us up to be successful this year and in the future. We had Crabs and Boldin as starters. Thought AJ Jenkins could emerge as a number 3 (not an unrealistic expectation last April), Kyle Williams and Marlon Moore. We were fine until Crabtree got injured. As for corner, everyone knows we needed D-line help and a safety first and foremost, which Baalke got. This team has more than enough talent to win. Even with the WR issues. A defense that has four all pros, and an offense with backs like Gore, Hunter, a TE like Vernon Davis and the best all around O-line in the game shouldn't be 1-2. This is on the coaches and players.

WHOA Lifelong... This is no forum for logic, bad choice bringing intelligence into this argument ... If we don't overreact we don't have anything to talk about. Kap is a bust, Crabtree is our MVP, and Harbaugh should be fired.. Let's insurrect anarchy!

...or follow logic and just calm down.

I'll be HONEST, I HATED THIS TANK PICK. I LOVED the REID pick. I liked the Vance Mac pick. Loved the Q Patton pick. In 2012 I wanted DE/DT Kendall Reyes in the 1st instead of AJJ and if not Reyes then Alshon Jeffrey WR or Stephan Hill. I still don't know how the duck AJJ was even thought of??? I never ever ever even heard of him and I watch A LOT of College Football. Now injuries have played a HUGE role into why we blow right now. But as far as Baalke, He blow the 12' Draft and this "Tank" of a picks. Why not draft someone you can use THIS SEASON? Windows close all the time in the NFL which stands for NOT FOR LONG. You are supposed to try and WIN THE SUPER BOWL EVERY YEAR> That should be the Goal of every team, every GM. Where is Justin & Ray's Help? Where is Aldon's help? I like Lemon and hope he steps in and provides a pass rush, otherwise we will have a top 10 pick again next May. Baalke is way overrated.
Baalke? Overrated? Put him on the open market he'd get a max.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
WR wasn't an issue, we had Crabs healthy, not till May is when he hurt his leg. Or we probably would of drafted a WR higher.

That is exactly Baalke's issue. In this league you need to plan for injuries.

Do you honestly think Crab and Boldin, a 32-year old WR were going to be the future of the 49ers receiving corps for years to come ?!

Baalke never learnt his lesson, last year God already showed him what it would be like with 2 WRs down. In other words, you can't just wait till injuries happen and go crap I should have drafted a WR higher. You need to bring in enough high picks to develop them so in case of injuries happen these budding young stars can step up without a major drop-off in performance.

What Baalke needs to do is wake the hell up and recognize the importance of the WR position. Don't just draft 1 receiver when his hit rate is so embarrassingly low. Draft 2 or more WRs until the situation is under control. We had the same discussion when Mario and KW went down, then we had yet another discussion when Crab went down and now we are having the same discussion again cos the FAs he brought in can't step up.

This is not a kid's card game like "hey, look at me I have so many more cards than you, hehehe" nonsense !! Stockpiling draft picks in isolation is pointless unless you make full and proper use of them.

I see no reason to believe that Baalke thought that Crabs and Boldin would be our receiving future for years to come. But, with Manningham, Jenkins, Williams and others, Patton looked a reasonable solution for the year ahead allowing other needs also to be addressed. Losing two of your three best receivers and finding that last years first round is a bust is above and beyond.

That just goes to show Baalke is way short-sighted with his WR plans. He already knew Mario was down before the draft and obviously he was banking on Crab and Anquan for this season, but once again he failed to plan for further injuries. In any given season, to plan for 2 WR injuries is a fair a number, he never thought about what if those 2 happen to be one of our key receivers and as it happened Crab went down even before the start of the season. To cap that off, Jenkins turned out to be a bust and whose fault was that ? Patton as a 4th round pick is OK and we are still waiting to see what he can do while Mario will not be back until week 7 the earliest. Seriously, does that sound like a solid plan to you ?!

Why do you bash Baalke, but not the players or coaches? Stop acting like it's always the GMs fault. Cause it's not. No one knew Crabs would get hurt. So what Jenkins was a bust, but he will lay fine in KC now IMO. So we jumped the gun on that one too quick IMO. We wanted to move salary, not develop.

Mario we thought would make a recovery, so he didn't. We had chances to get other WRs. FAs maybe, but they got overpaid. Wallace isnt worth 60M, no one would trade a top WR for a low 1st.

We made right pick in Reid. Would never pay an overrated Goldson 40M+.

The dude bashes Harbaugh all the time.

Baalke needs to hire an oracle. He clearly needs help predicting the future.

If he had had the brains to get a good oracle, he would have known to draft a wide receiver to replace Crabtree and a nose tackle to replace Williams.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Baalke? Overrated? Put him on the open market he'd get a max.

That is true in the real world of NFL football.

But, in pseudo general managers in the fantasy land of this forum know it all.
U know is sucks losing N then ciming here to see all of yall talkin sh*t boy i wonder what his place was like 4-5 yrs ago when we were goin 7-9 ,6-10 ,9-7 ,8-8 ... Remember act like u been there kids N stop hating on everythin u probably been luvin on tha last 2 yrs...
Share 49ersWebzone