There are 141 users in the forums

Baalke needs to get over himself

We had more picks in last years draft than anyone. Everybody in the civilized world knew we needed CB help and WR help. So we used half our picks on guys that can't even play this year? Exactly how long does this guy think our window will be open for? And although Aldon is a beast, I haven't seen character issues like this since Pac Man. Oh and thanks for Jenkins. Have him give regards to Mays....
Long term some of this picks might pan out like Carradine and Dial but it would be nice to have them now.
WR wasn't an issue, we had Crabs healthy, not till May is when he hurt his leg. Or we probably would of drafted a WR higher.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
WR wasn't an issue, we had Crabs healthy, not till May is when he hurt his leg. Or we probably would of drafted a WR higher.

This. Crabtree, Boldin, Williams, Patton was drafted, there were also high hopes for Jenkins, would have been dumb for the 49ers to take a wide receiver early.

CB was a possibility, but they needed a free safety more, as well as a replacement for Walker, they still had Culliver, Rogers, Brown and Asomugha. You just can't predict how injuries will turn out.

This.

Lots of kneejerk reactions. The 2013 draft set us up to be successful this year and in the future. We had Crabs and Boldin as starters. Thought AJ Jenkins could emerge as a number 3 (not an unrealistic expectation last April), Kyle Williams and Marlon Moore. We were fine until Crabtree got injured. As for corner, everyone knows we needed D-line help and a safety first and foremost, which Baalke got. This team has more than enough talent to win. Even with the WR issues. A defense that has four all pros, and an offense with backs like Gore, Hunter, a TE like Vernon Davis and the best all around O-line in the game shouldn't be 1-2. This is on the coaches and players.
Originally posted by gunslinger8:
We had more picks in last years draft than anyone. Everybody in the civilized world knew we needed CB help and WR help. So we used half our picks on guys that can't even play this year? Exactly how long does this guy think our window will be open for? And although Aldon is a beast, I haven't seen character issues like this since Pac Man. Oh and thanks for Jenkins. Have him give regards to Mays....

Yea as everyone has state they attacked our areas of need pretty aggressively. I mean Boldin was better than any draft pick. Can't help Crab got hurt. Your qualm with Baalke should be in his inaction on getting Crabs FA replacement.
At the time of the draft, we didn't have any major WR concerns that needed to be immediately addressed. Michael Crabtree/Anquan Boldin would be our starters, many of us still had hope for AJ, MM would eventually come back at week 6 or 7, we drafted Patton, and Kyle Williams would be appropriately #4 or #5 receiver. Who knew Crabs would go down during off season or that AJ wasn't who we thought he was at the time? Very unfortunate circumstances played out that were fairly unexpected. Not Baalke's fault.

As for the CB/secondary, they did draft Reid which is looking like a much needed home run pick. He was the only one holding up the secondary today which is very telling. Next year's draft class is loaded with talent and quality at CB. And many of the CB's on the roster, their contracts will be up at the end of this year. Next year is the perfect year that Baalke and the FO will take the opportunity to rebuild the CB area.
He's doing fine.

Reid is going to be a big-time star.

McDonald needs to be worked into the game more. That's on the coaches. Patton is a work in progress and will really improve w/playing time.

He picked 2 top 10 picks who fell cause of injuries and another Dial rehabbing.

As mentioned by the others Crabs getting hurt when he did left us out on a limb.

I'm very confident he'll get us what we need.
If nothing else, this team is going to be absolutely loaded to the max after one more draft. Even if they struggle this season due to injuries.....Superbowl hangover..whatever, with everyone healthy plus the crapload of picks they have in a completely loaded draft, I can see them stumbling this season and coming out and tearing s**t up assuming they can get their playcalling issues worked out.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Long term some of this picks might pan out like Carradine and Dial but it would be nice to have them now.

niners would still be 1-2 with carradine and dial

• Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gunslinger8:

Unless he could somehow predict that our #1 WR would tear his Achilles in OTAs and our starting TE would get injured in a blowout, Baalke drafted based on what our team was projected to need.
OP: moaning that Baalke is unable to see into the future is futile. His drafting has been way better than previous incumbants and he has built a platform for long term success. It remains up to the players and the coaching staff to realise this potential.
To the OP:

You didn't have a problem with Baalke on draft day, did you? If so, I do not see any of your post on draft day! Instead, you're venting your frustration after the third game of the season.
2012 really hurt
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

That is exactly Baalke's issue. In this league you need to plan for injuries.

Do you honestly think Crab and Boldin, a 32-year old WR were going to be the future of the 49ers receiving corps for years to come ?!

Baalke never learnt his lesson, last year God already showed him what it would be like with 2 WRs down. In other words, you can't just wait till injuries happen and go crap I should have drafted a WR higher. You need to bring in enough high picks to develop them so in case of injuries happen these budding young stars can step up without a major drop-off in performance.

What Baalke needs to do is wake the hell up and recognize the importance of the WR position. Don't just draft 1 receiver when his hit rate is so embarrassingly low. Draft 2 or more WRs until the situation is under control. We had the same discussion when Mario and KW went down, then we had yet another discussion when Crab went down and now we are having the same discussion again cos the FAs he brought in can't step up.

This is not a kid's card game like "hey, look at me I have so many more cards than you, hehehe" nonsense !! Stockpiling draft picks in isolation is pointless unless you make full and proper use of them.
[ Edited by Rascal on Sep 23, 2013 at 4:25 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone