There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trent Balkee's drafts, and how the '12 draft wasn't as bad as everyone thin

Originally posted by ivanm05:
We all know how great the 2011 draft was, picking up Aldon, and Kap, and Culliver and Kilgore. And we also know how bad the 2012 was, considering the only players in the roster still remaining from that draft are Lamichael and Looney. But I also think that draft was sacrificed for the 2013 draft. Trading out of picks and even the Cam Johnson pick were all sacrificial lambs for the better of the '13 draft class.

And I think the 2013 draft exemplifies Baalkee's imprint on this team, especially now with the Chris Harper addition.

I mean (I know its too early) but if you look at the class rookies that have come into the team in 2013... wow. First there's Eric Reid that is already starting and has all the potential to become a top safety in this league. Then, there's Tank Carradine, a first-round rush talent that will eventually replace the Cowboy. Third, there's Vance McDonald, that looks like a great blocking and catching tight end. Extremely fast for his size. Athletic. Still iffy with his hands but decent. Then there's Corey Lemoneir, who looks like a poor man's Aldon Smith. Long Arms, comes fast off the line of scrimmage. The thought of one day having the Tank in the middle, with Lemoneir and Smith at opposite ends should scare the f out of O-lines.

Now we have to add Chris Harper here. He can potentially become D. Walkers replacement. Play in a lot of three tight end formations with Vernon and Mcdonald. I know we've seen some three tight end formations before, but none with these type of athletic tight ends. I think they were hoping to do this with Marquise Grey, but I believe they are a lot more excited about Harper. Then, there's Quinton Patton, that's looked dynamic in the preseason. I mean, he is exciting and brings a spunk to this offense that I've never seen a rookie do in this team, especially in such a short time. In the same round, Baalke took Marcus Lattimore . And my god, if he looks anything similar to how he did in South Carolina, if he evades further knee injuries, then we have Frank Gore's replacement waiting in the wings.

Then Quinton Dial who's still a mystery, considering how little he played at Alabama.. and Nick Moody who looked solid. Nothing spectacular here. Just some decent looking football players.

And lastly BJ Daniels.. boy how fun was he to watch in the preseason. He looks like a faster Russell Wilson. He can be a great backup to Colin.

So looking back at this 2013 draft, I feel it's the best draft I've seen a 49er GM conduct …. Ever.. now I'm only 25 so I didn't watch the Walsh drafts, but if Baalke can conduct more drafts like the '13 and '11 drafts and less like the '12 draft, then I am ready excited about how well our rosters will look in the future.

Lets not forget that Baalke headed the 2010 draft as well that brought us Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Bowman, and some very serviceable players in Kyle Williams and Anthony Dixon. Even the other picks that didn't work out on our team, Taylor Mays, Philip Adams, and Nate Byham are still in the league. Baalke is as good as anybody in the league at spotting talent on film and apparently reading people during interviews but that doesn't always transpire on the field. What makes him good is that he admits his mistakes a little early rather than a little late and replaces them very quickly. He's surrounded himself with solid scouts and is definitely a sound evaluator.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
2012 was a bad draft, no other way to put it. It happens, even to the best GMs. Baalke has been money for the most part. Not only has he drafted pro-bowlers, some of those guys are arguably THE best at their respective position.

This sure looks to be true.

I strongly support Baalke, but I am not going to say the 2012 draft does not look bad to very bad.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Slooooooow down their young gun....

http://sfo.scout.com/2/634437.html

49ers draft list: The 10 best yearly classes

1. 1986: Considered one of the greatest drafts by any team in NFL history, the 49ers maneuvered for extra picks by trading down and came away with a bonanza of Charles Haley, John Taylor, Tom Rathman, Kevin f*gan, Don Griffin, Steve Wallace, Tim McKyer and Larry Roberts – all key starters in the team's future Super Bowl championship runs. Coach Bill Walsh traded away quarterback Matt Cavanaugh and offensive tackle Billy Shields to gain more picks, and his series of masterful moves on draft day resulted in a 14-player haul that fortified the team's dynasty for a decade to come.

I remember hearing back when the league first started the salary cap that it was partially instituted because no one could figure out how to beat the 49ers without it. We just kept amassing top talent and DeBartelo had no problem paying them top money to keep them around.
Before Baalke, we had some stinker of drafts, especially the 08' draft & 04' 03 02 drafts. I firmly believe that a draft should be judged after year two. But the problem with that is, most of our 12' draft is GONE.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Baalke effectively traded a 2012 7th round for a 2013 4th rounder and a 2014 7th rounder......mastermind status right there!

How so? I really forgot about most of our trade details
Originally posted by YungAce:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Baalke effectively traded a 2012 7th round for a 2013 4th rounder and a 2014 7th rounder......mastermind status right there!

How so? I really forgot about most of our trade details

Cam Johnson was a 7th round pick in 2012. He essentially traded Cam to make room for Chris Harper, a 4th round pick from Seattle in this past draft. Plus... he got the 7th round pick from the Colts for the 14 draft for Cam.
Couple notes: this appears to be a solid incoming class. We will have to see when the real games begin. Let's hope.

Chris Harper is not worth getting excited over. There is simply not much there. Seattle made a bonehead pick and they cut him loose, which is rare for a fourth rounder. That is how bad he must have performed in camp on a very mediocre WR core.

One bonus kick to the stomach from the 2012 draft was the trade to Indi in the 3rd round, Thjnk anyone would want to go back in reverse and select TY Hilton in that spot, which is what the Colts did. Yikes!!!!! Good for Indi, bad for us.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Couple notes: this appears to be a solid incoming class. We will have to see when the real games begin. Let's hope.

Chris Harper is not worth getting excited over. There is simply not much there. Seattle made a bonehead pick and they cut him loose, which is rare for a fourth rounder. That is how bad he must have performed in camp on a very mediocre WR core.

One bonus kick to the stomach from the 2012 draft was the trade to Indi in the 3rd round, Thjnk anyone would want to go back in reverse and select TY Hilton in that spot, which is what the Colts did. Yikes!!!!! Good for Indi, bad for us.

Sucks we missed out on Hilton. Could have used him last year when we lost Manningham and Williams.

I was curious and decided to look up what we got out of that trade. We traded down a few more times and accumulated multiple picks.

Gave up

3(92) - T.Y. Hilton - 2012

Gained

4(117) - Joe Looney - 2012
6(180) - Trenton Robinson - 2012
1(18) - Eric Reid - 2013
5(157) - Quinton Dial - 2013

So we got 4 players out of that series of trade downs starting from our original pick that Indy used on T.Y. Hilton.

A 2013 3rd round pick we received from Carolina in one of those trade downs is what we gave Dallas to trade up for Eric Reid. That's huge and should not be overlooked. If he's as good as advertised, I'd rather have him than Hilton.

I don't care for Looney. Robinson is gone. Dial is a complete unknown at this point. Reid is the only thing that can make this trade a winner.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 4, 2013 at 1:59 AM ]
I know the 2012 draft had Jenkins, Robinson, Slowey, and probably Fleming as busts, but James and Looney can still help.

Plus we gained picks for 2013, a 3rd from CAR, 5th and 6th from Indy and Miami. We eventually got Reid with that extra 3rd. We took the 2nd from Alex Smith trade turned it into a 2014 3rd and Tank Carradine. Then traded up from our spot, gave up like a 6th for Vance McDonald, same in 3rd for Lemonier.

Baalke has proven he is a damn good GM. 2010,2011, and 2013 are his drafts. 2012 was a bad mistake. But it yielded us those future picks, and new players.
2012 was atrocious, but his other draft have been excellent. 2011 is one of the great drafts I've seen, and a franchise changer. 2010 is starting to look very very good and even with the Mays debacle still did a ton to fix this team and solidify the offensive line and ILB positions. 2013 so far is extremely promising and has a chance to be a franchise stabilizing draft with a ton of starters--even if few game-changing superstars.
2012 can look a good bit better if Jon Baldwin makes a significant contribution. From what I have seen of him in KC and the few snaps here, I believe he will be a contributor. The guy can block and make that tough catch. Yes, he dropped some in KC but I lay that more to never being able to get on the same page as the junk QBs they have there than on a failure on his part.
2012 was a bad draft. Baalke bounced back though, this 2013 class will be special.
[ Edited by Hopper on Sep 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
2012 can look a good bit better if Jon Baldwin makes a significant contribution. From what I have seen of him in KC and the few snaps here, I believe he will be a contributor. The guy can block and make that tough catch. Yes, he dropped some in KC but I lay that more to never being able to get on the same page as the junk QBs they have there than on a failure on his part.

Baldwin has been a knucklehead his whole career. The talent is there, but I am not sure about the head and the heart. Count me as a skeptic for now. Hopefully, he can change