LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

How do you scout?

Toward the end of the season it's a lot easier to watch particular players because you can usually find their snaps on YT. I DVR most of the games, and re-watch them at least once, but there's really not enough time to look at each player as closely as I would like. To be honest when I'm watching a game I almost exclusively watch the Oline/Dline battles, but then again I'm missing the DB/WR battles. Is it possible to see the whole field at once? Am I just full tard? I really don't get the amount of raw data that I'm looking for when I focus on the overall formation. Should I watch each game twice focusing on the front 7/oline and then secondary/wr? There's not enough hours in the day. Do you focus on individual players? I personally don't like to do that because I feel like your missing out potentially good talent.

Also do you guys have a favorite position to scout? I love watching the line. I like to understand how the DC applies pressure and how the Oline nullifies them.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Toward the end of the season it's a lot easier to watch particular players because you can usually find their snaps on YT. I DVR most of the games, and re-watch them at least once, but there's really not enough time to look at each player as closely as I would like. To be honest when I'm watching a game I almost exclusively watch the Oline/Dline battles, but then again I'm missing the DB/WR battles. Is it possible to see the whole field at once? Am I just full tard? I really don't get the amount of raw data that I'm looking for when I focus on the overall formation. Should I watch each game twice focusing on the front 7/oline and then secondary/wr? There's not enough hours in the day. Do you focus on individual players? I personally don't like to do that because I feel like your missing out potentially good talent.

Also do you guys have a favorite position to scout? I love watching the line. I like to understand how the DC applies pressure and how the Oline nullifies them.

I pick games I'm interested in and will often switch games if they become blow outs.It typically amounts to 6-7 games maybe? but not all are complete games, some of them are only halves.

I pick the games first based on how competitive/interesting they are. Then I look at their rosters and identify players I'm interested in. For the start of the season, I'm usually looking at award nominees, pre-season All Team selections, statistical performances the year before. I'm usually googling players names and what not during the week and might uncover new players as I read about teams. Once you've picked the teams to watch it becomes easier to identify the palyers because then its about researching 10-15 teams. And it builds up as the season goes.

Then once I have my list of players to watch I set it up on my computer with their #s to watch for each Offense vs. Defense match up and focus on those players, usually mixinig it up through out the game. DVR is great for pausing and rewinding. My desktop screen is side by side almost with my TV so its very easy for me to type up notes/check rosters or stats, research players as it goes ect.

I'll rewatch games or do more in depth replay of every snap of games later in the season, it depends on the amount of time I have.
Throw darts at the Alabama roster
i would usually badger my mom until she signed off on my "badges"
[ Edited by hofer36 on Sep 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM ]
  • Tman
  • Veteran
This is an excellent place
Make a list of my favorite players to watch based on who I think are positions of need. Then watch as many as I can when they play by flipping through the channels on the gameday.My position I always watch is defensive backs cause that's what I played my whole life and obviously my favorite position regardless if the niners are in need or not. And ofcourse youtube during and after the season. Great thread to get this football season started!!
I observe what Baalke does and pretend I know better.

Share 49ersWebzone