There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do we have the guts to go after Clowney?

Clowney will probably be a stud, but with our current situation, I like the idea of having our 5 or 6 picks in the top 100. We need another SS, CB, WR, OT, QB. This past draft is already looking like Baalke nailed it. The front office may have even more ammo next year. The way we're drafting is what's going to keep us contending for a SB. Our depth and volume of picks are what allows us to get great value in guys like Carradine and Lattimore, and even grabbing Vance, a #2 TE in the 2nd.

I hope we mimic last year's draft and trade up for the player they're targeting (WR/CB/SS). Then come back and grab guys that slip. We have a lot of talent on the team, but we won't be able to retain them all. When you draft as well as Baalke, the best we can do is load up on picks and let him go to work on draft day.
Not a question of guts but a question of "BRAINS" - we're wayyyyyyyyy too smart and have come wayyyyyyyy too far to do something soooooooooooo STUPID!
We aren't going to move from #32 to #1.
LMAO at this thread. If we're good enough to win the SB, why the flying f**k would be trade pieces of our team for a guy that has yet to prove anyhting in the NFL?!
GREAT call LaMichaelJeff!
Simply not going to happen.

The end.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Originally posted by buck:
Guts???

Well at least you answered the question sorta

Yeah. OK.

If the team did what you proposed, it would indicate the lack of something, such as brains or thought, not the presence of guts.

I was trying to be nice, sorta.

I actually think that your idea is idiotic, moronic, or imbecilic.
Don't need Clowney. We have our future DE in Carradine. And Ray Mac is a legit DE.

OLB wise, Brooks is undervalued by 49ers fans. He is a still effective OLB. Aldon is all world. He will only get better and better.

Plus it would kill the cap in 4 years when you have to extend him. Looking at 60-100M depended on how much the cap goes up or stays flat.

I remember some said Vance was a surprise pick, he was, but well worth that 2nd rd pick. I love this kid. New Delanie, and maybe better in the future than Walker was.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Don't need Clowney. We have our future DE in Carradine. And Ray Mac is a legit DE.

OLB wise, Brooks is undervalued by 49ers fans. He is a still effective OLB. Aldon is all world. He will only get better and better.

Plus it would kill the cap in 4 years when you have to extend him. Looking at 60-100M depended on how much the cap goes up or stays flat.

I remember some said Vance was a surprise pick, he was, but well worth that 2nd rd pick. I love this kid. New Delanie, and maybe better in the future than Walker was.

Yep, I think the cap implications are the prohibiting factor. Not because we'd have to extend him in 3-4 years, but because we need all of the picks we'd have to give up to get him. Those picks will come in handy for replacing guys that price themselves out of our plans (see: Dashon Goldson and Eric Reid).

Talent-wise, Clowney is a generational player. He'd be an OLB for us. He'd be miscast at DE--he has elite movement skills and will likely run in the neighborhood of 4.5 at the combine.

Brooks is a Pro Bowl caliber player, but he's aging and he doesn't have even a fraction of the ability that Clowney has. Clowney and Aldon opposite each other, with Clowney on a rookie contract for 4 years, is an interesting proposition. But, as I said, it's not feasible because I doubt we can afford to give up that many picks.
YES!!!! I've always said we are seriously weak at LB. Aldon- sux Navarro - sux Willis - Sux Brooks - sux Lemonier - sux. We just traded the best one we had in Parys!. We need LB's more than any other position group on this team IMHO. - sent from bizzaro world. AKA Canada.
Originally posted by Toronto49er:
YES!!!! I've always said we are seriously weak at LB. Aldon- sux Navarro - sux Willis - Sux Brooks - sux Lemonier - sux. We just traded the best one we had in Parys!. We need LB's more than any other position group on this team IMHO. - sent from bizzaro world. AKA Canada.

I don't think anyone's saying that. At least I hope not. Obviously we have no issues at LB.

However, Ahmad Brooks will be 30 next season and he's nowhere close to Clowney, who would actually come at a similar price tag to Brooks due to the rookie wage scale.

I just don't think it'd be wise for us to give up 6 or 7 valuable picks to get him.
I'm sure the guy will be a great player.

BUTTTTTT there were a number of can't miss players that come to mind that fell short of expectations.

Aaron Curry, Lavar Arrington and others.

Just sayin'.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I'm sure the guy will be a great player.

BUTTTTTT there were a number of can't miss players that come to mind that fell short of expectations.

Aaron Curry, Lavar Arrington and others.

Just sayin'.

lol this guy is on another planet
What's so impressive about this guy? He comes out every play because he is too tired. Maybe he should get in better shape for the college football season. He doesn't take his craft seriously if he can't even play out there. Too tired and always resting.
Originally posted by sfout:
To move from 32 to 1 you would literally have to give up your entire draft + future picks or players. Clowney might be a "once a decade prospect" but only Matt Millen would ever trade from the playoff range of picks to #1.....

It would take more than that. It would probably take more than 2 entire drafts.