There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do we have the guts to go after Clowney?

this makes zero sense, the 49ers will not get Clowney nor should they go all in for a guy that rushes the passer. Bottom line, the team has one of the top 3 pass rushers in the NFL in Aldon Smith and with Justin Smith, Ahmad Brooks and our DL we do not need to go hard after any other pass rushers. Especially since Lemonier and Tank could be very good in the future.

Teams like the 49ers stay good by continuing to draft well and building on depth and the future quality of the roster. Giving up an entire draft (and probably more) would be a franchise killer even if he ended up fulfilling all the hype surrounding him. Another thing to consider is the cap, once JC reached his 2nd contract the team would have to pay a very large portion of their cap space to him and Aldon, then you take into account how much Willis and Bowman cost and that would be a very expensive LB group.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Even if we win the SB, we have the ammo to move to one. Iupati isnt't going to sign for less than 8-9 mil a year. He still has contract time left 2014. Brooks is a very good starter with a very good contract (our front office is the best in the league with contracts look at Bowman's deal) is trade bait. Put those two players together and a combination of our first, second, and third round picks, I think we can get it done. The question is should we?

Originally posted by buck:
Guts???

Well at least you answered the question sorta
Even if we win the SB, we have the ammo to move to one. Iupati isnt't going to sign for less than 8-9 mil a year. He still has contract time left 2014. Brooks is a very good starter with a very good contract (our front office is the best in the league with contracts look at Bowman's deal) is trade bait. Put those two players together and a combination of our first, second, and third round picks, I think we can get it done. The question is should we?

What's his madden rating though?
wait till offseason

Trade Kaep for #1 overall pick

Draft Clowney - Start BJ Daniels - Extend Errboddy
Sacrifice a dominant G, a whole draft worth of picks, and other All-Pros for one player that doesn't play QB? Mike Ditka wouldn't even make that trade.

I wouldn't mind moving up to put us in a better position to get a corner should we lose Tarrell Brown or Nnamdi. We may need to look at receiver as well. But this would be more like an Eric Reid type of trade. Not a lets give up our draft trade. Plus, we are going to need to hit in the draft year in and year out to stay ahead of the division.
Clowney will get hurt and we will draft him in the fourth round
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

What's his madden rating though?

f**k no. Next year is a STRONG, STRONG draft, very deep. You'd have to be retarded to trade away the amount of picks needed to move up to one of the Top 2 picks. Now what happens if Clowney is a bust? You've just completely crippled your franchise on a wild goose chase.

One outstanding college player who might end up becoming a bust in the pro's versus six to seven pretty good college players....no thanks.
Originally posted by sfout:
To move from 32 to 1 you would literally have to give up your entire draft + future picks or players. Clowney might be a "once a decade prospect" but only Matt Millen would ever trade from the playoff range of picks to #1.....

Mike Ditka did something like this when he coached the saints for some pothead running back . How did that turn out for them?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd rather wait and go after Trent Murphy, Norte Dame transfer Aaron Lynch who's now at South Florida or Kyle Van Noy.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'd rather wait and go after Trent Murphy, Norte Dame transfer Aaron Lynch who's now at South Florida or Kyle Van Noy.

This. Would trade up for Aaron Lynch/10. I do think the hype factor and Combine could push him out of range though if he decides to come out next year. He's also probably more suited to being a 3-4 OLB right now but was up around the high 260's at Notre Dame. He plays like a hybrid of Aldon and Justin Smith,explosive as hell, long arms, and a motor that runs at 150% all the time, he never stops, slows down, takes a play off, just keeps attacking, it'll be interesting to see how he does this season at USF.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM ]
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Clowney will get hurt and we will draft him in the fourth round

My thoughts exactly.
Originally posted by redrathman:

Sure we got the "guts".

But should we? No, no, and no.

Remember Ricky Williams?...oops! Mario Williams?...ehhh, was dominate in college, traded away in pro's. Just not worth it, cause you never know.