LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 146 users in the forums

Drafting a backup quarterback

• teeohh
  • Veteran
So McCoy and Tolzein have not looked good and BJ Daniels is a rookie. Anyone else think we should draft a QB in day two to groom?

When the Redskins drafted Cousins people thought it was weird but he did well when he got a shot last year. They will probably be able to trade him for a high pick

So my suggestion: Stephen Morris

He probably won't come out but Marcus Mariota doe!
[ Edited by teeohh on Aug 25, 2013 at 5:49 AM ]
i would love manziel in the second. guy can run our offense. This is the year to get a solid QB. In general QBs are like stock. Buy low sell high. So many to choose from this year. Gotta love Boyd too. to have 6 picks in the first 100 in the deepest draft in a decade is amazing leadership.
"BJ Daniels is a rookie"

You know that whoever we draft next year will also be a rookie?
Think it will happen.
Both those guys are 1st round talent. I haven't seen much to say yes a 1st rder for Morris, but Mariota is a top 5 QB in the 2014 draft.
I mentioned this in other threads but I'm all for letting Harbaugh pick a QB in next year's draft to develop as a #2 or 3 along with Daniels. Why bother trying to fix the rest of the league's garbage? I think we wanted game experience but when most backups out there don't show anything after how many years maybe better off just going with a young guy. Let Harbaugh get someone he wants and let him mold him. Either way almost a lock that we don't re-sign McCoy or Tolzien after this year as they are both FA's. We will be moving on with Daniels and someone else.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dhp318:
"BJ Daniels is a rookie"

A 7th round rookie many think of as a project. My point is we don't know if he's Nate Davis or a 7th round steal
Taylor Kelly*, ASU, 6-1, 190lbs

Honestly I don't consider him a prospect that will be drafted, yet. I think he has a long way to go with reading defenses and needs to shorten his delivery. But his arm is sneaky strong, is very accurate with his placement, probably 4.65 speed, and you gotta love the kid's grit and competitive spirit. And you gotta love what he can do scrambling.

Should be noted Taylor Kelly was originally recruited by Nevada's Ault to be Kaepernick's replacement. But Dennis Erickson offered him and Jake Plummer was the kid's idol (Taylor Kelly is from a small town in Idaho, similar to Jake Plummer's back story). He was just like a 2-star recruit coming out of highschool, only offers were Nevada and ASU. Before the 2012 season started, he was 3rd, but he improved so much over the summer he won the job.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Aug 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM ]
Pretty early, BUT based on the Vikings game I don't see us drafting another QB.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Taylor Kelly*, ASU, 6-1, 190lbs

Honestly I don't consider him a prospect that will be drafted, yet. I think he has a long way to go with reading defenses and needs to shorten his delivery. But his arm is sneaky strong, is very accurate with his placement, probably 4.65 speed, and you gotta love the kid's grit and competitive spirit. And you gotta love what he can do scrambling.

Should be noted Taylor Kelly was originally recruited by Nevada's Ault to be Kaepernick's replacement. But Dennis Erickson offered him and Jake Plummer was the kid's idol (Taylor Kelly is from a small town in Idaho, similar to Jake Plummer's back story). He was just like a 2-star recruit coming out of highschool, only offers were Nevada and ASU. Before the 2012 season started, he was 3rd, but he improved so much over the summer he won the job.

This. I'd love for the 49ers to bring in Kelly for a look as a UDFA, could be a worthwhile project while Daniels moves up to #2 if he's ready.

Originally posted by dhp318:
"BJ Daniels is a rookie"

Damn, really? This undermines my whole strategy.
Agree we should draft another QB next year
Cut Kap and draft Bridgewater for the double win
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Here's a list of guys to watch

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000235192/article/teddy-bridgewater-leads-list-of-top-16-qbs-in-college-football
  • buck
  • Veteran
We will have the picks to select a quarterback in the draft and groom him to be a solid backup.

It is certainly something to consider.
Share 49ersWebzone