There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Evans WR Texas A&M

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by krizay:
Evans is a beast. i see him as a TE at the pro level though. but man is he a beast

Don't mind me guys but just a snap judgement from that one video the guy looks more like he could be a great TE than WR. 225? Looks like 235 to me... you guys think he has the speed to separate from NFL corners? Looks like he'd be a great target at TE to me but I could be wrong.

I cannot see us trading up in the first to pick up a tight end. So I guess it depends on whether he can be an NFL wide receiver or not.

No idea but I will check A&M out.
Originally posted by English:
I cannot see us trading up in the first to pick up a tight end. So I guess it depends on whether he can be an NFL wide receiver or not.

No idea but I will check A&M out.

Yeah if we did take him it would be for WR because would be crazy to draft a TE early in this draft with Davis, McDonald, Celek/Harper. At best would be someone in round 4-7 to compete with Celek/Harper? but really I don't see us drafting one at all. I hope we double dip early on WR especially if Boldin/Manningham aren't back. Maybe one big possession guy and 1 legit speed deep threat. A lot depends on how Baldwin does as well.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yeah if we did take him it would be for WR because would be crazy to draft a TE early in this draft with Davis, McDonald, Celek/Harper. At best would be someone in round 4-7 to compete with Celek/Harper? but really I don't see us drafting one at all. I hope we double dip early on WR especially if Boldin/Manningham aren't back. Maybe one big possession guy and 1 legit speed deep threat. A lot depends on how Baldwin does as well.

Agreed on drafting 2 wrs. We cant guarentee crab wont want big moneg and the team needs a contingency plan.
Personally i would d prefer 2 burners. That way we have options outside and in the slot. Rio is good but I think this draft and it's abundance in early picks could reinforce WR for years to come.

I like Abbrederis but most of his big plays come from defense folding on the PA. Im going to reserve my judgement until I watch a full game. I have ohio st vs Wisc recorded so Ill be scouting him.

I could be wrong but I dont think moncrief is what we need. He seems clunky and slow. He was aginst LSU and Bama at least. I feel like we would be drafting a version of Baldwin and that seems counter productive.

Finally I don't think Evans shouldn't be viewed as a TE option. Clearly he wouldnt be what we needed under those circumstances. He exhibits speed on the deep corner and has shown top end speed. Ive watched him 3 times and i think he coukd make the transistion to NFL WR but it would take some time. The team he goes to will need patience so ultimately this may not be the right place. Someones going to make him into a beast though if he has the will to be driven.
[ Edited by eonblue on Sep 29, 2013 at 9:20 AM ]
Stat line for his game against Auburn today.

11 rec 287 yds 26.1 avg 4 TD

The dude is a beast at the WR position. I would love the Niners to draft this guy but with the season he is having we most diffidently need to trade up to get him.
He can play WR. Plaxico Burress was never fast and he was effective as a younger WR in his prime. His big body and ability to go up for the ball plus great hands will help him do it. He doesn't need to be a TE. Plus I bet he is faster than you think. Although not blazing obviously. Boldin runs a 4.7. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6. It's a myth you need to be fast. He could box out on crossing patterns all day long with his big body and tall long frame. He would be a 1st down machine. Plus if you throw it high deep he has a good chance to be the one to come down with it. He could handle the Seattle oversized DB's. He's not outmatched there.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He can play WR. Plaxico Burress was never fast and he was effective as a younger WR in his prime. His big body and ability to go up for the ball plus great hands will help him do it. He doesn't need to be a TE. Plus I bet he is faster than you think. Although not blazing obviously. Boldin runs a 4.7. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6. It's a myth you need to be fast. He could box out on crossing patterns all day long with his big body and tall long frame. He would be a 1st down machine. Plus if you throw it high deep he has a good chance to be the one to come down with it. He could handle the Seattle oversized DB's. He's not outmatched there.

I really want to like him, he's done better than I expected at this point, right now I don't know who is making who look better, whether its him or Manziel but there certainly are concerns. He's a possession receiver at the next level, seeing as the 49ers already have Crabtree, Boldin and Patton who fit that definition, I don't know how I feel about adding another one.

Evans reminds me A LOT of Mike Williams out of USC, big build, freakish strength and ability to outduel a CB for the football, same pedestrian speed. I think his ceiling is an upgraded version of Marques Colston. His bottom................................................

He's definitely in my list of top 3 WR's for the upcoming draft, but unlike the other two, Watkins and Lee, I'm very ambivalent about Evans, he could be a pretty good pro WR or an absolute bust. Williams I think was a more impressive player in college than Evans and we all saw how his pro career went.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I really want to like him, he's done better than I expected at this point, right now I don't know who is making who look better, whether its him or Manziel but there certainly are concerns. He's a possession receiver at the next level, seeing as the 49ers already have Crabtree, Boldin and Patton who fit that definition, I don't know how I feel about adding another one.

Evans reminds me A LOT of Mike Williams out of USC, big build, freakish strength and ability to outduel a CB for the football, same pedestrian speed. I think his ceiling is an upgraded version of Marques Colston. His bottom................................................

He's definitely in my list of top 3 WR's for the upcoming draft, but unlike the other two, Watkins and Lee, I'm very ambivalent about Evans, he could be a pretty good pro WR or an absolute bust. Williams I think was a more impressive player in college than Evans and we all saw how his pro career went.

I'd say it's the opposite. Evans is more impressive IMO. And Mike Williams was a lazy bum. He got up to 250 + getting fat. He got huge in the NFL and fat and out of shape. Plus he ran like a 4.7. I wouldn't be surprised to see Evans runs like a 4.55. I think he has decent speed although not great.
I'd say it's the opposite. Evans is more impressive IMO. And Mike Williams was a lazy bum. He got up to 250 + getting fat. He got huge in the NFL and fat and out of shape. Plus he ran like a 4.7. I wouldn't be surprised to see Evans runs like a 4.55. I think he has decent speed although not great.

I disagree. Williams was an absolute phenom, the numbers themselves don't lie, he had two absolutely monster seasons where he dominated everything. Evans has done well but I think you're forgetting the enormous hype and amazing performances Williams put up.

Season League Team Age GP Rec Yards TD % A/G Y/G LNG
2002 NCAA USC Trojans 18 13 81 1265 14 15.6 6.2 97.3
2003 NCAA USC Trojans 19 13 95 1314 16 13.8 7.3 101.1
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 20, 2013 at 5:38 PM ]
By seasons end Evans certainly won't be far from those #'s. That's certainly obtainable for him. Williams to me was really good at the 20 - 30 yard line when they would throw it into the endzone. But I rarely saw him make big plays down the field. Like 60, 70, 80 yards and such. He wasn't fast enough for that. Evans doesn't have a problem going 90 yards on Alabama. The best team in the country. I personally think his speed is better than that of Mike Williams.

You must also remember that Williams balooned up to 250, 260, 270 at times. His listed playing weight at USC was around 230 lbs. He was super lazy and a bum as soon as he got his first pro contract. He never worked at it. He also had substance abuse problems. He ate and abused himself right out of the league. Some people get in that comfort zone when they get their first pro contract after not having money all their life.

There is no indication that Evans has substance problems or is eating his way out of football. 6'5" 225 lbs. is fine. Way lighter than what Williams balooned to. Also like I said Williams ran in the 4.7 range. Even at his lower weight. Not at his 250 + when he was even slower. I didn't see Williams make 90 yard plays against the best defense in college. But I have seen Evans do it. I would not personally be shocked to see Evans run in the 4.55 range. Now is going to run a 4.4? No. It's obvious watching he's not that fast. But it also seems apparent watching that his more long speed explosive than Mike Williams was. That's just a matter of perception and individual interpretation at this point. We will see at the combine. He might not even come out this year. But the fact that he can make 90 yard plays against the best team in college over the top shows he has more speed and explosiveness than Mike Williams did. IMO he is faster than Williams but we will see.

You must remember there were lots of other discipline and bad choices like Aldon Smith that made Williams fail. He did everything wrong that he could do wrong.
By seasons end Evans certainly won't be far from those #'s. That's certainly obtainable for him. Williams to me was really good at the 20 - 30 yard line when they would throw it into the endzone. But I rarely saw him make big plays down the field. Like 60, 70, 80 yards and such. He wasn't fast enough for that. Evans doesn't have a problem going 90 yards on Alabama. The best team in the country. I personally think his speed is better than that of Mike Williams.

You must also remember that Williams balooned up to 250, 260, 270 at times. His listed playing weight at USC was around 230 lbs. He was super lazy and a bum as soon as he got his first pro contract. He never worked at it. He also had substance abuse problems. He ate and abused himself right out of the league. Some people get in that comfort zone when they get their first pro contract after not having money all their life.

There is no indication that Evans has substance problems or is eating his way out of football. 6'5" 225 lbs. is fine. Way lighter than what Williams balooned to. Also like I said Williams ran in the 4.7 range. Even at his lower weight. Not at his 250 + when he was even slower. I didn't see Williams make 90 yard plays against the best defense in college. But I have seen Evans do it. I would not personally be shocked to see Evans run in the 4.55 range. Now is going to run a 4.4? No. It's obvious watching he's not that fast. But it also seems apparent watching that his more long speed explosive than Mike Williams was. That's just a matter of perception and individual interpretation at this point. We will see at the combine. He might not even come out this year. But the fact that he can make 90 yard plays against the best team in college over the top shows he has more speed and explosiveness than Mike Williams did. IMO he is faster than Williams but we will see.

You must remember there were lots of other discipline and bad choices like Aldon Smith that made Williams fail. He did everything wrong that he could do wrong.

Huge difference in the offense's that the two teams run/ran. That's like saying "wow Colt Brennan's #'s in college totally dwarfed Andrew Luck's, obviously he's the better player." Williams played in a pro-style offense, Evans plays in a very basic Air Raid spread offense and has a limited route tree. Based on the system they run, Evans should have significantly better numbers than Williams, you'd expect that from the system that they run. It doesn't make him a better player or more game ready than Williams was, which arguably, he won't be, he'll need time to develop as a WR.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM ]

Huge difference in the offense's that the two teams run/ran. That's like saying "wow Colt Brennan's #'s in college totally dwarfed Andrew Luck's, obviously he's the better player." Williams played in a pro-style offense, Evans plays in a very basic Air Raid spread offense and has a limited route tree. Based on the system they run, Evans should have significantly better numbers than Williams, you'd expect that from the system that they run. It doesn't make him a better player or more game ready than Williams was, which arguably, he won't be, he'll need time to develop as a WR.

Williams wouldn't make too many 90 yard plays that is for sure. He would get walked down. But we have seen Evans do it against the best team in college. We are already talking difference there.

And why does Evans = Williams? Because every tall WR in college is like Mike Williams? They are all the same?.....

Plaxico Burress had plenty of NFL success as a younger WR. This has been done before. It's been done by the 49ers too. Dwight Clark was like 6'4" 225 lbs. They fit that mold too. Why can't he be Burress and Clark? He has to be Williams? Because every 6'5" WR in college has to have substance abuse problems and eat themselves out of the league just because Williams did?
Williams wouldn't make too many 90 yard plays that is for sure. He would get walked down. But we have seen Evans do it against the best team in college. We are already talking difference there.

And why does Evans = Williams? Because every tall WR in college is like Mike Williams? They are all the same?.....

Plaxico Burress had plenty of NFL success as a younger WR. This has been done before. It's been done by the 49ers too. Dwight Clark was like 6'4" 225 lbs. They fit that mold too. Why can't he be Burress and Clark? He has to be Williams? Because every 6'5" WR in college has to have substance abuse problems and eat themselves out of the league just because Williams did?

Because he's a similar sort of player. Why does any player get compared to another? Evans is a big possession receiver that reminds a lot of people of Mike Williams, I'm far from the only one to make that comparison. In college terms, that's not a bad thing, but as far as the pro's, I'm far more sold on guys like Watkins and Lee to be successful in the NFL.

Because he's a similar sort of player. Why does any player get compared to another? Evans is a big possession receiver that reminds a lot of people of Mike Williams, I'm far from the only one to make that comparison. In college terms, that's not a bad thing, but as far as the pro's, I'm far more sold on guys like Watkins and Lee to be successful in the NFL.

You are brushing over like it is no big deal at all that Mike Williams......

1) Had a substance abuse problem.
2) Got massively overweight for a WR in the pros and quit working
3) Ran a 4.7 time even at his lower in shape weight.

Those are big deals. And you can't paint this guy with the same brush. Vincent Jackson seems pretty effective to me at 6'5" 230 lbs. He was never a burner btw with the Chargers or now with Tampa Bay. Dwight Clark was plenty effective if you ask me. Plaxico Burress was plenty effective before he shot himself in a club and got old. All 3 are not super fast. But all tall and big strong guys. It's worked plenty of times too in the NFL. I could just as easily say he fits that prototype.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM ]
You are brushing over like it is no big deal at all that Mike Williams......

1) Had a substance abuse problem.
2) Got massively overweight for a WR in the pros and quit working
3) Ran a 4.7 time even at his lower in shape weight.

Those are big deals. And you can't paint this guy with the same brush. Vincent Jackson seems pretty effective to me at 6'5" 230 lbs. He was never a burner btw with the Chargers or now with Tampa Bay. Dwight Clark was plenty effective if you ask me. Plaxico Burress was plenty effective before he shot himself in a club and got old. All 3 are not super fast. But all tall and big strong guys. It's worked plenty of times too in the NFL. I could just as easily say he fits that prototype.

That's totally fine, that is your opinion and you're entitled to it. To me, he reminds me a lot of Mike Williams and has similar downsides to his game. I'm just speaking for myself, based on what I've seen. He's had some jaw-dropping performances, he's also very raw and plays in a very basic spread system and is limited in terms of the variety of routes they utilize him in. He's not very fast, he's got terrific strength and size, he's also a long strider that takes time to get up to full speed, a pro offense is considerably different than the one he is in currently.

He could be a Pro-Bowl player in the NFL, I also see the potential for him to be an epic bust. I haven't made up my mind on him, but that's just how I feel, I'm ambivalent, I really don't know which way he'll go and I'm glad to not have to be the one to make that decision.
That's totally fine, that is your opinion and you're entitled to it. To me, he reminds me a lot of Mike Williams and has similar downsides to his game. I'm just speaking for myself, based on what I've seen. He's had some jaw-dropping performances, he's also very raw and plays in a very basic spread system and is limited in terms of the variety of routes they utilize him in. He's not very fast, he's got terrific strength and size, he's also a long strider that takes time to get up to full speed, a pro offense is considerably different than the one he is in currently.

He could be a Pro-Bowl player in the NFL, I also see the potential for him to be an epic bust. I haven't made up my mind on him, but that's just how I feel, I'm ambivalent, I really don't know which way he'll go and I'm glad to not have to be the one to make that decision.
The same could be said about Sammy Watkins. He's not a clean route runner. He doesn't have a good catch radius. He's had 2 very weak games this season. So he's hot and cold.

What receiver doesn't have the potential to be a bust?

In some form all these guys have something that will hold them, and ultimately it's only themselves.

So why is Evans so hard to believe in? Not being 4.3 fast isn't a good answer. He's not as slow are your trying to make him out to be either.

He makes extremely hard catches. He's physical. He shows the ability to get ridiculous yards after catch. It only takes him 2-3 strides to get going and then good luck taking him down secondary. His route running skills for his size are actually great considering he's only in college. His ability to change direction is incredible for his size. This is evidenced in those catch and runs where he just cuts threw the field. Lastly he is one of the most natural scrambler I have ever seen.

Lastly not all pro offenses are that different than what Sumlin is doing at TAM. The Broncos, Patriots, Cowboys, Saints all run a refined form of the air raid. Or at least have a package for it. Cowboys are almost completely a carbon copy of what TAMU tries to do except the route trees are different. The fundamental idea is the same. He will fit in fine with a team that runs multi-receiver sets.