There are 160 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Evans WR Texas A&M

OK, maybe a good redzone target like everyone said, but the dude don't look like an all around WR to me. Just doesn't run routes or moves like one. Looks like a top caliber NFL TE to me.
^^^ yep what I been saying
Don't know about that........I've only seen a few of his games, but what i saw was a guy making, often tough catches and bailing Manziel out time and again. I think he'll be a big success in the NFL and we'd be lucky as hell to get him. Small chance of that however, unless we give up a lot to move way up in the draft order. Since this is a stacked draft at WR, that's probably not necessary to get a quality guy and still retain our picks for other players or other moves.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
OK, maybe a good redzone target like everyone said, but the dude don't look like an all around WR to me. Just doesn't run routes or moves like one. Looks like a top caliber NFL TE to me.

I can't help but think the Niners still have nightmares about drafting JJ Stokes. I like Evans but I doubt the Niners roll the dice on moving up that far to grab him. Similar to last year, I see Baalke moving up a half dozen or so picks with one specific WR in mind. Who would that be? Drumroll please........Marquis Lee.
  • pfizz
only receiver we should move up to grab that high is sammy watkins.
[ Edited by pfizz on Mar 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM ]
Originally posted by pfizz:

I'd rather have Evans.
Gaines, who is projected as 3rd or 4th on some boards, shut down Evans. I like that he played b asketball, means he has good hands, but the thing to consider is Manziel drove team nuts with his scrambling and running to buy time or cause teams secondary to break down, giving Evans open looks.

Redzone target and third down move the chains kind of guy. However, not a burner that stetches the field.

Cook is a burner that stretches the field but is not a red zone target.

The receiver drafted may not get much looks on the field, so they have to bring something different to the team if they are to get playing time.
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
Any words on how his pro day went today?

he caught a bunch of easy passes. it was manziel oriented. no word on drill and times.

So it was basically like his college football career.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
wow, I can't believe you guys don't like Evans. Did you watch his games? He made Johnny Football. Most of the time Manziel just threw it up and Evans went and got it. Dude is faster than you think, constantly fought through double teams, and made plays. His hands are incredible as well. He showed that at the combine. He is going to make a team (I think he goes to the Ravens) very happy.

I can count on one hand how many times I saw Evans win a contested football.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
Any words on how his pro day went today?

[b]he caught a bunch of easy passes.[/b] it was manziel oriented. no word on drill and times.

So it was basically like his college football career.

Now that you mentioned that, I don't see how People like Gil Brandt who used to be VP Player Personnel of the cowboys can say " He has the best hands since Calvin Johnson" when he's catching floaters from Manziel.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
wow, I can't believe you guys don't like Evans. Did you watch his games? He made Johnny Football. Most of the time Manziel just threw it up and Evans went and got it. Dude is faster than you think, constantly fought through double teams, and made plays. His hands are incredible as well. He showed that at the combine. He is going to make a team (I think he goes to the Ravens) very happy.

I can count on one hand how many times I saw Evans win a contested football.

Evans is your typical love-him-or-hate him prospect. 98% of fans fall under one of those categories, with not many in between in the "unsure" or "would be OK with" category. I find myself somewhere in the middle. On the field, he seems to consistently just get the job done. I admit, I lean more towards liking him as a prospect than I do the other side. I think he will be a great asset for a team that utilizes the downfield passing game.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:24 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Evans is your typical love-him-or-hate him prospect. 98% of fans fall under one of those categories, with not many in between in the "unsure" or "would be OK with" category. I find myself somewhere in the middle. On the field, he seems to consistently just get the job done. I admit, I lean more towards liking him as a prospect than I do the other side. I think he will be a great asset for a team that utilizes the downfield passing game.

I'm getting a 40 speed range in the neighborhood of 4.45 to 4.53 for Mike Evans. Very nice, and Quinton Patton was in the range of 4.40 to 4.50 and looked fluid in the playoffs. I think with that kind of speed, Mike Evans will scare a lot of DB's into backing off press man at the LOS. He'd be an ideal WR to replace a Crabtree and with that 4.5 speed, he can play a deep threat, opposite Anquan. I'm torn between the sheer speed of a Brandon Cooks and the shear athletic all around talent of a Mike Evans. I'm pretty sure that Baalke, if he wants either one, is going to trade up for them, and will give up a big chunk of draft capital for either one.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by pfizz:

I'd rather have Evans.

Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

Gil Brandt says there's GM's that prefer Evans over Watkins as well.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

Gil Brandt says there's GM's that prefer Evans over Watkins as well.

i'm sure there are.

but my personal opinion is that Watkins is #1, and Evans is clearly #2