LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Allen Robinson, Penn St. - WR

Robinson would be only one of two WR's likely taken. I know Baalke & Harbaugh's desires to get a downfield, speedy WR. That's one reason so many have been advocating for Moncrief & Matthews. They have the size and speed, although I think Matthews has the better hands. Sounds like Robinson should be another option. I'd love to see Baalke get both Crabtree and Boldin's potential replacements in this draft. That may not be possible/feasible, so it could turn out to be one of the "bigs" and a smaller guy like Cooks or Herron. In that case, my vote would be Matthews and Herron.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
With his recent performance at his pro-day, he is going to boost his draft stock into a position where I wouldn't feel comfortable taking him.

You're saying above pick #30? If so, I don't think so. Even with the improved numbers from the pro-day, I think he's just moving up in the range of somewhere between the 9ers pick at 30 and their pick at 56. The only thing it would change is how far we'd have to move up in the 2nd beyond 56 if we weren't taking him at 30.
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
would love to have him in the late second or early third

And I'd love a blowjob in a Thunderbird, but neither of these scenarios were going to happen to begin with.
was on game changers with M. Irvin.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
good pick to make with our kc pick.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
You're saying above pick #30? If so, I don't think so. Even with the improved numbers from the pro-day, I think he's just moving up in the range of somewhere between the 9ers pick at 30 and their pick at 56. The only thing it would change is how far we'd have to move up in the 2nd beyond 56 if we weren't taking him at 30.

I don't want him with either of our first two picks.
He may have the talent to go rounds 1-2, but in terms of contributing to this team and getting snaps this season there are many other players in those rounds including WR position that are a better fit.

I also would be upset if we moved up to get him. Not a good choice.
Moncreif, Latmier (spelling), and some other guys will be there for us and they offer a very similar skill set (better than Robinson's IMO)
Taking them later would also mean we get to use those earlier picks on positions where we need more help like CB, D-Line

Robinson is a good player, not worth the early draft pick.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by KaptooCrab:
So a 42" vert and 11' bj is pedestrian now? Im pretty sure the highest vert for wideouts at this years comvine was 39"..

I pretty much meant his 40, after all I think the 9ers are looking for speed more than just possession.
Robinson ran a 4.47 today.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24518943/pro-days-wr-robinson-makes-first-round-statement-at-penn-state
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jbniner:
Robinson ran a 4.47 today.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24518943/pro-days-wr-robinson-makes-first-round-statement-at-penn-state

Conflicting reports, I thought he ran 4.5's today?? Whatever the case, I still don't think he plays at a 4.47, whenever I've watched him he just doesn't get good separation. He'll go up and get the ball and shield off defenders, but burning someone in coverage...I haven't seen it yet, then again Hawaii doesn't get much Penn St. games either.
I don't pay attention to pro day speed times because they can't really be compared to combine times. They're not the same timing standards, and pro day times are always "faster."

But what I'd like to know is how did the guy add 3 inches to his vertical in a month or 2? How is that possible?

• xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I don't pay attention to pro day speed times because they can't really be compared to combine times. They're not the same timing standards, and pro day times are always "faster."

But what I'd like to know is how did the guy add 3 inches to his vertical in a month or 2? How is that possible?

oh, you can definitely train for vert.
i'd say 3 inches in easily possible if you did not put much work in beforehand, then got jacked on heavy iron and ballistic work.
Originally posted by xcfan:
oh, you can definitely train for vert.
i'd say 3 inches in easily possible if you did not put much work in beforehand, then got jacked on heavy iron and ballistic work.

Did Allen weigh in at pro day? Maybe he lost a bunch of weight to help his jump & speed numbers.

This guy is all smoke & mirrors IMO. He's an ok prospect, but he's nothing special IMO.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Did Allen weigh in at pro day? Maybe he lost a bunch of weight to help his jump & speed numbers.

This guy is all smoke & mirrors IMO. He's an ok prospect, but he's nothing special IMO.

He did,
he is about 15lbs lighter since the combine
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Robinson would be only one of two WR's likely taken. I know Baalke & Harbaugh's desires to get a downfield, speedy WR. That's one reason so many have been advocating for Moncrief & Matthews. They have the size and speed, although I think Matthews has the better hands. Sounds like Robinson should be another option. I'd love to see Baalke get both Crabtree and Boldin's potential replacements in this draft. That may not be possible/feasible, so it could turn out to be one of the "bigs" and a smaller guy like Cooks or Herron. In that case, my vote would be Matthews and Herron.

I completely agree. Robinson AND Mathews would be a very wise choice. Boldin is aging and Crabtree might demand too much money in 2015. We need to face the unfortunate reality that we may be losing Crabtree.

Robinson played in a pro style offense, has a wide catch radius and gets RAC on the regular. The only downside is he, for some reason, wasn't used in the endzone as often as I'd like. His route running is superb, he's father than people are giving hi credit for, doesn't drop many balls and is dangerous in the open field. I'd be very happy adding Robinson to our WR core.
I'm bumping this.
I've been watching a lot of his tape lately... When I followed him during the combine, he fell off my radar because of his sub-par performance.
I think he is getting overlooked now because of the combine, I hope we target this guy with out 3rd or 4th pick (late second, early third)
Share 49ersWebzone