There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Allen Robinson, Penn St. - WR

why on earth would you want a guy who uses his body to catch the ball?
Originally posted by MikeRumph:
why on earth would you want a guy who uses his body to catch the ball?

Who also plays smaller than his size, and isn't a great jump ball receiver. He's average.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Who also plays smaller than his size, and isn't a great jump ball receiver. He's average.


One of the best things about Robinson is his ability to go up and get the football in the air is outstanding. I don't know what your metric is of average, but if Robinson is average, then there's really no good jump ball receivers in this draft. I see plenty of amateur draft "profiles" bashing on the guy but the more legit sites seem to be in-line with what the majority of people I hear saying about him and what I've seen myself.


Robinson is a guy who isn't flashy or spectacular but he does a lot of things well, very good route runner, decent hands, even if he does bring the ball close to his body at times, solid blocker downfield blocker. He's got a lower ceiling than most guys, but you largely know what you'll get out of him, a quality #2 receiver, a reliable guy who doesn't need to be coached up a lot, someone who showed a lot of improvement and has been highly productive his past two seasons for a wounded duck program. Just a good all-around receiver. He won't be great, but he won't be bad, he looks to translate to being a good #2 and there's nothing wrong with that.


He's also only 20 years old, meaning he's still physically immature, a guy with room to develop physically, you're talking about a guy who is 2-4 years behind his peers age wise.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 5, 2014 at 9:06 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Who also plays smaller than his size, and isn't a great jump ball receiver. He's average.


One of the best things about Robinson is his ability to go up and get the football in the air is outstanding. I don't know what your metric is of average, but if Robinson is average, then there's really no good jump ball receivers in this draft. I see plenty of amateur draft "profiles" bashing on the guy but the more legit sites seem to be in-line with what the majority of people I hear saying about him and what I've seen myself.


Robinson is a guy who isn't flashy or spectacular but he does a lot of things well, very good route runner, decent hands, even if he does bring the ball close to his body at times, solid blocker downfield blocker. He's got a lower ceiling than most guys, but you largely know what you'll get out of him, a quality #2 receiver, a reliable guy who doesn't need to be coached up a lot, someone who showed a lot of improvement and has been highly productive his past two seasons for a wounded duck program. Just a good all-around receiver. He won't be great, but he won't be bad, he looks to translate to being a good #2 and there's nothing wrong with that.


He's also only 20 years old, meaning he's still physically immature, a guy with room to develop physically, you're talking about a guy who is 2-4 years behind his peers age wise.

With the phaggotry aside you may be one of my favorite posters in here. I love an informative poster that proves their points with details and facts.
Retweeted by Matt Barrows

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt 24h
WR Allen Robinson having big day at #PennState pro day. 42 VJ, 11 BJ, sub-4.5 40. Stock will be up after today. #NFLDraft

...

There hasn't been much buzz about Robinson in the forum. More people seem to be interested in Moncrief or Matthews. But Robinson is the WR I would take in the early 2nd round. His combine numbers did not reflect his on-field play, and his pro-day numbers are more accurate. He has great size, gets open down field, and can make things happen with the ball in his hands. He catches the ball much better than Moncrief, and has more playmaking ability than Matthews. If we don't go up to get a guy like Beckham, Cooks, or Lee in the 1st, Robinson is the guy at #30 or in the early 2nd.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,569
Originally posted by Jbniner:
Retweeted by Matt Barrows

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt 24h
WR Allen Robinson having big day at #PennState pro day. 42 VJ, 11 BJ, sub-4.5 40. Stock will be up after today. #NFLDraft

...

There hasn't been much buzz about Robinson in the forum. More people seem to be interested in Moncrief or Matthews. But Robinson is the WR I would take in the early 2nd round. His combine numbers did not reflect his on-field play, and his pro-day numbers are more accurate. He has great size, gets open down field, and can make things happen with the ball in his hands. He catches the ball much better than Moncrief, and has more playmaking ability than Matthews. If we don't go up to get a guy like Beckham, Cooks, or Lee in the 1st, Robinson is the guy at #30 or in the early 2nd.

I don't think he'll be a 1st round pick, I'd say more late 2nd round, he's not a receiver who will get good separation at the next level and more shield his defender off with his size. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see him as a 49er, but I just don't think the 9ers will use a pick on him after seeing his Combine numbers and somewhat pedestrian Pro Day numbers.
i still see him as a 3rd round guy. i'd still select Jarvis Landry over him
Originally posted by Jbniner:
Retweeted by Matt Barrows

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt 24h
WR Allen Robinson having big day at #PennState pro day. 42 VJ, 11 BJ, sub-4.5 40. Stock will be up after today. #NFLDraft

...

There hasn't been much buzz about Robinson in the forum. More people seem to be interested in Moncrief or Matthews. But Robinson is the WR I would take in the early 2nd round. His combine numbers did not reflect his on-field play, and his pro-day numbers are more accurate. He has great size, gets open down field, and can make things happen with the ball in his hands. He catches the ball much better than Moncrief, and has more playmaking ability than Matthews. If we don't go up to get a guy like Beckham, Cooks, or Lee in the 1st, Robinson is the guy at #30 or in the early 2nd.

Wow.
If hes there with our 2nd pick of the 2nd round then grab him. I think with Moncrief, Landry, Mathews, Robinson, Bryant and Latimer all possibly going in the 2nd it will push one to us at #61.
[ Edited by JimHarbaugh on Apr 9, 2014 at 11:38 AM ]
  • pfizz
  • Member
  • Posts: 171
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
i still see him as a 3rd round guy. i'd still select Jarvis Landry over him

same.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
If hes there with our 2nd pick of the 2nd round then grab him. I think with Moncrief, Landry, Mathews, Robinson, Bryant and Latimer all possibly going in the 2nd it will push one to us at #61.

I couldn't agree more.
I feel like Landry and Robinson were names that I originally heard mocked to us and now they are never mentioned. Somehow guys like Odell and Benjamin, etc, have leaped over them. This reminds me of Keenan Allen last year to the Chargers.

Players fall down the boards for all types of reasons but I would be happy if either one got picked by the Niners.
In terms of open field running, and navigating traffic (forgot the term for this) he does it better than 99% of the WR out there.
But he does have alot to work on.
I wouldn't mind taking this guy, but don't expect him to come in right away and start or make an impact (i think patton will start over him)

I was honestly hoping he would bomb at his pro-day as well so his draft stock wouldn't increase.

With his recent performance at his pro-day, he is going to boost his draft stock into a position where I wouldn't feel comfortable taking him.
would love to have him in the late second or early third
So a 42" vert and 11' bj is pedestrian now? Im pretty sure the highest vert for wideouts at this years comvine was 39"..