There are 171 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Dri Archer-WR/RB/KR/PR/Pure Beast Mode-Kent State

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
He is not a bad player by any means. But I'll be honest, if we could trade him for a 4th, and use that pick to take Archer, I'm all in.

I think most teams would rather have Dri Archer than LaMichael James which could mean:
a. LaMichael James is not worth a high 4th round pick.
b. Dri Archer will be gone before the 4th round.
c. Both.

If I had to guess, I would say b - we could still get an early 4th round pick for James but I don't think Archer will be there. I think someone will draft him earlier given he has sub 4.3 speed with good quickness. He could be used an an offensive weapon similar to Dexter McCluster. He doesn't have as good of hands and played in a much weaker conference, but you can't teach speed. Archer did put up nearly 2000 combined rushing and receiving yards in 2012 and 20 TD's which is impressive even in the MAC.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
He is not a bad player by any means. But I'll be honest, if we could trade him for a 4th, and use that pick to take Archer, I'm all in.

I think most teams would rather have Dri Archer than LaMichael James which could mean:
a. LaMichael James is not worth a high 4th round pick.
b. Dri Archer will be gone before the 4th round.
c. Both.

If I had to guess, I would say b - we could still get an early 4th round pick for James but I don't think Archer will be there. I think someone will draft him earlier given he has sub 4.3 speed with good quickness. He could be used an an offensive weapon similar to Dexter McCluster. He doesn't have as good of hands and played in a much weaker conference, but you can't teach speed. Archer did put up nearly 2000 combined rushing and receiving yards in 2012 and 20 TD's which is impressive even in the MAC.

I can see someone jumping the gun off of his speed alone, so you may be right there. However I don't think its out of the question to get James for a 4th or 5th. He's a top 10 returner and would be a good back up/change of pace back. I'd just like to add someone that can do what he does, with more speed, and less mouth.
Archer is VERY interesting.

Not all small guys are busts like AJ or super like Sproles.

I think, hope, our draft analysts are digging into this one.

One of the problems w/LMJ, is he isn't used effectively. The guy is made for the slot receiver position.

In all honesty, I do get pretty nervous when he fields punts.

Still, if our plays are called the same as last year will Archer be worth the pick if his skills aren't utilized by our coachess?
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Draft him.. trade LMJ.

Absolutely! Probably will go in 3rd rd.
I like Archer, but to me he looks more like a Trindon Holiday than a Dexter McCluster. Which is not a terrible thing. Holiday is one of the best return guys around and has had game changing plays.

Do you guys really think Archer would as useful on offence as, say, De'Anthony Thomas or Bruce Ellington?

I mean that as a serious question, not a statement. I really want the 9ers to draft a player that can make an impact both as a returner and a multi-use offensive weapon. I'm just trying to work out which player I think best fits that description...
  • DeUh
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I like Archer, but to me he looks more like a Trindon Holiday than a Dexter McCluster. Which is not a terrible thing. Holiday is one of the best return guys around and has had game changing plays.

Do you guys really think Archer would as useful on offence as, say, De'Anthony Thomas or Bruce Ellington?

I mean that as a serious question, not a statement. I really want the 9ers to draft a player that can make an impact both as a returner and a multi-use offensive weapon. I'm just trying to work out which player I think best fits that description...

To me personally it is Odell Beckham Jr. and Bruce Ellington.
We need to draft Archer. We need someone with elite speed on this offense. All we have now is Vernon Davis at the tight end position.
Looking at the highlights it seems he did most of his damage as a running back. Hard to believe he could do that at all in the pros. Although, I did like the read option looks he had ... might be some potential there. I did not see anything in the highlight package showing receiving, but it does appear he caught 35 passes. I don't know, I am not sure I would spend a pick higher than the 4th. I like De'Anthony Thomas better, if anything because the competition he faced overall was much more NFL worthy.
We need to give LMJ a chance to play before we write him off for his smaller clone (Archer). LMJ has proven he can handle kick/punt return duties which is very important, and now we need to get him involves in the offense with quick screens (RB and WR position), and other quick passes etc. If he sucks then i am sure there will be another small, speedy fast guy in next years draft.
i really do hope the niners pick this guy up!
There are better options than Archer...guys who can run fast, catch and return the ball, etc. The biggest factor IMHO is overall size...give me a guy who can withstand the beating he'll face in the NFL. For guys 5-8 to 5-10 an extra 20 lbs of muscle makes a big difference. Which is why Baalke likes Cooks (and most likely Herron)...they're short & fast, but stout. Note Albert Wilson, whom they're hosting in Santa Clara...he's 5-9, but weighs 200 lbs.
Fvck it. Draft him. I'm not convinced Roman and Harbaugh will use him right with our emphasis on running up the middle over and over and over again, but this kid has something we ain't got, crazy speed. LJames is a bust, he's quick, just not special quick. He's worth maybe a 6th.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
We need to give LMJ a chance to play before we write him off for his smaller clone (Archer). LMJ has proven he can handle kick/punt return duties which is very important, and now we need to get him involves in the offense with quick screens (RB and WR position), and other quick passes etc. If he sucks then i am sure there will be another small, speedy fast guy in next years draft.

I don't see this at all. Archer is so much faster than LMJ, that it is not even a discussion. I don't think we would use Archer as a RB, but we don't use LMJ as a RB anyway, so who cares? I think LNJ's game is quickness, not speed, and I think Archer is just as quick. As you mentioned, Archer weighs less, so durability is a concern.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
the drafttek website has us taking archer in the second round.
Originally posted by xcfan:
the drafttek website has us taking archer in the second round.

This is funny. I love Archer and all, but no way. That would be worse than when we picked LMJ (who I do like) in the second.