There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Dri Archer-WR/RB/KR/PR/Pure Beast Mode-Kent State

I'd be more than happy with Deanthony Thomas returning kicks. Not sure he's gonna be quite as good at it as Archer, but they're both certainly better than Lamichael James.

At least the Niners have options this offseason. Trindon Holliday, Ted Ginn, Devin Hester, Thomas, Archer... There are too many options to not significantly upgrade the KR position.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Draft him.. trade LMJ.

Don't tell us,...tell Balke.
For the 4th people want this guy with,...I say package that 4th with our 1st, move up, and get Cooks
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I'd be more than happy with Deanthony Thomas returning kicks. Not sure he's gonna be quite as good at it as Archer, but they're both certainly better than Lamichael James.

At least the Niners have options this offseason. Trindon Holliday, Ted Ginn, Devin Hester, Thomas, Archer... There are too many options to not significantly upgrade the KR position.

This is a bunch of nonsense. Holliday barely had a better average than James and went Kyle Williams mode with his inability to hold on to the football, he makes James look like the ultimate in ball security. Denver isn't bringing him back because he's sloppy with the football and can't contribute in any other way but special teams.

Not a single one of those guys you listed would be a "significant" upgrade. James gets way too much crap from people somehow envisioning that the grass is green on the other side.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This is a bunch of nonsense. Holliday barely had a better average than James and went Kyle Williams mode with his inability to hold on to the football, he makes James look like the ultimate in ball security. Denver isn't bringing him back because he's sloppy with the football and can't contribute in any other way but special teams.

Not a single one of those guys you listed would be a "significant" upgrade. James gets way too much crap from people somehow envisioning that the grass is green on the other side.

You have a ton more faith in James as a return man than I do. Those other guys have at least shown they can be great return men in the past, and I think it's pretty clear that all of 'em have better moves in the open field than James does.

That said, I'd take Dri Archer over any of 'em at this point.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:42 AM ]

You have a ton more faith in James as a return man than I do. Those other guys have at least shown they can be great return men in the past, and I think it's pretty clear that all of 'em have better moves in the open field than James does.

James is a decent return man, but he hasn't show that he can be a home run threat like a Ted Ginn or Devin Hester. Hester is a little past his prime, but Ginn would still be an upgrade over James in the return game. I also think Archer and Deanthony Thomas would be better as returners.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

James is a decent return man, but he hasn't show that he can be a home run threat like a Ted Ginn or Devin Hester. Hester is a little past his prime, but Ginn would still be an upgrade over James in the return game. I also think Archer and Deanthony Thomas would be better as returners.

Harbaugh's misplaced faith in Williams the last few years left James with fewer touches on special teams than should have been the case, but given a full season as the main kick/punt returner, I think LMJ could be special.
I would love to have this guy! His speed in relation to the others on the field reminds me of Deion in his prime. He looked like he was running on grass, while everyone else looked like they were running in sand! Besides his obvious speed, the kid appears to have excellent vision, balance, moves, hands, etc. Other than his size, he's a complete playmaker.
Kid looks so fast on tape. I'd take him as a special teamer over LMJ. Also like DeAnthony Thomas. Dont know why he ran so slow at the combine, but he is fast and is great in the open field.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Harbaugh's misplaced faith in Williams the last few years left James with fewer touches on special teams than should have been the case, but given a full season as the main kick/punt returner, I think LMJ could be special.

LMJ has looked awful and can barely field a punt, less return one. He probably won't even be on the team come next season.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
LMJ has looked awful and can barely field a punt, less return one. He probably won't even be on the team come next season.

Awful enough that he would have ranked fourth in kick return and punt return average in the entire NFL had he done it for the full season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 13, 2014 at 9:42 AM ]
Awful enough that he would have ranked fourth in kick return and punt return average in the entire NFL had he done it for the full season.

Too small of a sample size. And you can't always tell how good a guy is just on return average. That stat says a lot, but I think it's pretty clear that LMJ is ordinary with the ball in his hands.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Mar 13, 2014 at 6:04 PM ]

Too small of a sample size. And you can't always tell how good a guy is just on return average. That stat says a lot, but I think it's pretty clear that LMJ is ordinary with the ball in his hands.

not to mention that he was almost as inconsistent as KW in securing the ball on returns.
I think people are going too far with knocking him as a player. He hasn't returned any for TDs, but he has had some big returns that got us going in games. He also did decent as a running back when given the opportunity. My only real issue with James is his mouth and his willingness to work to become better. He is not a bad player by any means. But I'll be honest, if we could trade him for a 4th, and use that pick to take Archer, I'm all in.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think people are going too far with knocking him as a player. He hasn't returned any for TDs, but he has had some big returns that got us going in games. He also did decent as a running back when given the opportunity. My only real issue with James is his mouth and his willingness to work to become better. He is not a bad player by any means. But I'll be honest, if we could trade him for a 4th, and use that pick to take Archer, I'm all in.

I think he narrowly avoided potentially catastrophic fumbles in the return game, and his ball security as an RB also worries me. I think he is quick and he accelerates well , but he lacks long speed. On top of all that, his giant head and tiny body make me think I'm watching pee wee football.