There are 223 users in the forums

Dri Archer-WR/RB/KR/PR/Pure Beast Mode-Kent State

Originally posted by gold49digger:
"really fast dude"

I want him in the 4th round though.

So do I.
I think... He just made rocket and Ginn look slow.....

Ill be honest, weak competition or not.... I have not seen a highlight reel like that before. I have not seen somebody blow up SO many good angles before.

No body is mentioning his balance either, No one else was shock at how solid his base is for 180? Nice vision, change of direction and stiff arm for a scat back.

interesting...Ted Ginn is a physical monster compared to him....but interesting....
Kap would have trouble over throwing this dude. we need fast receivers for his arm
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Kap would have trouble over throwing this dude. we need fast receivers for his arm

on deep throws if course. he's be easy to over throw across the middle
Originally posted by gold49er2183:

its not the overthrow that people are afraid of.....

Kap could kill this dude if he forgot to take the heat off the ball...
Originally posted by btthepunk:
One of my best friends is a Raider fan and soon as he finished his 40 he texted me
"With the 5th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft the Oakland Raiders select Dri Archer, really fast dude, Kent State."
Lol.

lol
Recent Drafted Speedsters:

Devin Hester was a 2nd high 2nd

Dexter McCluster was drafted in the high 2nd round

Marquise Goodwin was drafted in the 3rd round. He also had 17 catches and 3 TD's as a rookie.

Trindon Holiday was a 6th rounder, but very 1 dimensional

I think to secure Archer the 49ers would have to use their late 3rd rounder. I'm not sure he'll last until the late 4th round. Depending on how the draft unfolds, I would use a late 3rd rounder on Dri Archer.
Originally posted by Garlicboy:

Marquise Goodwin was drafted in the 3rd round. He also had 17 catches and 3 TD's as a rookie.

I think to secure Archer the 49ers would have to use their late 3rd rounder. I'm not sure he'll last until the late 4th round. Depending on how the draft unfolds, I would use a late 3rd rounder on Dri Archer.

I'd say the comp pick would be jumping the gun, but it would also be the safest bet. It also would allow us to address the other major needs at receiver (2), one or two DBs, and possibly another DE, or even trading for a future 2015 pick.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'd say the comp pick would be jumping the gun, but it would also be the safest bet. It also would allow us to address the other major needs at receiver (2), one or two DBs, and possibly another DE, or even trading for a future 2015 pick.

That's why I stated, depending on how the draft unfolds, meaning what happens with our previous 5 picks assuming our comp pick is a 3rd rounder.
If we met EVERY need in Free Agency and the draft: CB, S, WR and either C or LB. Then I go Dri Archer.
Future picks are a luxury, not a priority. The way I see it, if we have a shot at the next Devin Hester/Tridon Holiday (Archer reminds me of a cross between the two) we take him with a 3rd rounder.

I think on our team we have the luxury with the roster depth and more importantly picks to dedicate a early mid round pick as a Kick returner and Punt returner. Nobody has talked about it, but Punt returner/Kick returner can/needs to be upgraded. LMJ miffed a punt against Seattle and we don't remember because we recovered. We missed out on the 2012 SuperBowl a few years ago because we had Kyle Williams Fumbling returns against the Giants

The thing is, Goodwin had a position as a WR. Archer is basically a guy without a position. He's not a RB at the next level, not really a WR either, he can be a KR but you don't take him simply based on that. I think the 4th round is a reasonable spot for him, similar to where Ace Sanders got drafted last year except Sanders went up against far better competition.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

The thing is, Goodwin had a position as a WR. Archer is basically a guy without a position. He's not a RB at the next level, not really a WR either, he can be a KR but you don't take him simply based on that. I think the 4th round is a reasonable spot for him, similar to where Ace Sanders got drafted last year except Sanders went up against far better competition.

I don't think it is a stretch for his current skillset to use him as a read-option RB and a slot receiver. Most rookie WR need to learn new routes, and new ways to run old ones. He's been out on routes and made contested catches before.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Marquise Goodwin wasn't drafted because he had a position, let's be honest he was drafted because he is blazing fast. He's still learning how to become a football player and play WR in the NFL. Marquise Goodwin was a former Olympian and spent a lot of time dedicated to Track and Field and the Olympic Team/National Team. 2008 he represented the US as a long Jumper and 2012 he was a sprinter. Dri Archer has more football experience than Marquise Goodwin coming out for the Draft.

Dri Archer does not have a clear cut position because he is small. However, Dri Archer was productive as a RB and a receiving out of the backfield. Just because he is small, 180 lbs, doesn't mean he can't play in the NFL. Charlier Garner and Nap Kaufman excelled as RB's in the NFL and did not have Archer's blazing speed. Danny Woodhead is current undersized playmaker in the mold of Dri Archer.

Rushing: 2,342 yards 7.2 yds/rush 24 TD's. Receiving: 99 receptions 1,194 yards 12 TD's. KR's: 51 attempts 1,436 28.2 yards/attempt 4 TD's

Ace Sanders is a 4.53 guy, Dri Archer is 4.27. HUGE difference. Archer's college career Receiving stats equal Sanders and Archer was an RB. Archer has the experience as KR as well.

Glad you brought up Ace Sanders. Ace was a HIGH 4th rounder, but Dri is the better prospect coming out of college.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I don't think it is a stretch for his current skillset to use him as a read-option RB and a slot receiver. Most rookie WR need to learn new routes, and new ways to run old ones. He's been out on routes and made contested catches before.

Good point.

Dri Archer reminds me of Eric Metcalf 5'9" 190 lbs. He was a 3x Pro Bowler because of his Return ability and Receiving ability.
Career yds/career only 3.8. He never gained over 650 yards in a season for his career.
Dri Archer is what I was hoping Lamichael James would be IMO. KR is a bigger need than people realize IMO, and Archer fits that bill perfectly. I don't think he's quite what Darren Sproles was as a runner (Sproles was a bit thicker), but I think he could be the Niners' version of Tavon Austin.

This guy is another reason I want the Niners to trade down & get future picks. There are too many talented guys in the 50 - 100 range to not take advantage.
I feel like everyone is forgetting about DeAnthony Thomas....
Share 49ersWebzone