LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Dri Archer-WR/RB/KR/PR/Pure Beast Mode-Kent State

Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
The Seahawks invested alot for Percy Harvin. Its going to be scary to think what they will do with Harvin, Marshawn, and Russell next year.

True Elite speed can make that much of a difference when playing an elite defense, who is already athletic and fast themselves.

If they are going to have Harvin, then IMO we need to try to get this guy... I'm not saying NFL WR Harvin = Rookie RB Archer. But I'd love to have his speed on our offense. And the fact that he played RB, can hopefully show that he is tough. I saw on a couple occasions, him breaking arm tackles in those highlight videos.

to be honest with you, I wouldn't mind giving up a second on his 40time, if he gained some muscle.
Second round pick? Come on. I'm totally on the bandwagon, but you don't draft him in the 2nd just because of that 40, no matter how ridiculously fast. If anything he went from 7th/UDFA to maybe 4th/5th at the earliest.

lol... I meant 1 second on his 4.26 40time...so if he gained some muscle and could still run at least 4.36 or under....I'd be fine with that.
That's a TENTH of a second. Not a second. 5.26 is a second slower than his 4.26.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
The Seahawks invested alot for Percy Harvin. Its going to be scary to think what they will do with Harvin, Marshawn, and Russell next year.

True Elite speed can make that much of a difference when playing an elite defense, who is already athletic and fast themselves.

If they are going to have Harvin, then IMO we need to try to get this guy... I'm not saying NFL WR Harvin = Rookie RB Archer. But I'd love to have his speed on our offense. And the fact that he played RB, can hopefully show that he is tough. I saw on a couple occasions, him breaking arm tackles in those highlight videos.

to be honest with you, I wouldn't mind giving up a second on his 40time, if he gained some muscle.
Second round pick? Come on. I'm totally on the bandwagon, but you don't draft him in the 2nd just because of that 40, no matter how ridiculously fast. If anything he went from 7th/UDFA to maybe 4th/5th at the earliest.

lol... I meant 1 second on his 4.26 40time...so if he gained some muscle and could still run at least 4.36 or under....I'd be fine with that.
That's a TENTH of a second. Not a second. 5.26 is a second slower than his 4.26.
I fixed it geez...lol yall post faster than I can edit.
lol... I meant .10th of a second on his 4.26 40time...so if he gained some muscle and could still run at least 4.36 or under....I'd be fine with that.

There we go. Now you got it. I agree with you though. Add some muscle, maybe lose some time off his 40, but he's still going to be crazy fast, just with more strength. Kid already has great strength for his size (20 reps in the bench), just get that lower half filled out.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Feb 23, 2014 at 2:10 PM ]

lol... I meant .10th of a second on his 4.26 40time...so if he gained some muscle and could still run at least 4.36 or under....I'd be fine with that.

Why make him slower though when speed is the best thing he does? Let him doe what he does. Speed, speed, speed. It's ok to be smaller at KR/PR and change of pace RB. He doesn't need to be big for this role.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Feb 23, 2014 at 3:01 PM ]
Draft him.. trade LMJ.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Covered the 40 in 18 steps. Same amount of strides as Calvin Johnson

OOoooooh...ok. Cool beans .
Originally posted by sfout:
Covered the 40 in 18 steps. Same amount of strides as Calvin Johnson

He's got a very lengthy stride for his size, that's for damn sure.
Archer, if he can stay healthy, could be a valuable multi-dimensional threat. Trindon Holliday I believe is 5-5 170. Too short to be anything other than a ST guy, but plenty built enough at that size to not be a serious injury risk. Archer could stand to add about 5-7 pounds. At 5-8 180, he'd be better off physically and could increase his longevity.

With the kind of speed he has, he's likely going to be taken anywhere from the 3rd to 5th round. Despite his size, players with that combination of 4.2 speed AND production just don't last past the 5th round. 4.3 speed? Sometimes. Not at 4.2.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
a 5-8 guy running the 40 in 18 steps--that is amazing. instant acceleration.

get him to wr. that kind of acceleration will literally eat up the cushion in two seconds.

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
keep in mind in the highlights he is playing extremely weak competition, teams with rosters of players that won't get a chance at the nfl, teams with secondary players running in the 4.7s

Unlike Tavon Austin he is not a WR, he plays RB and a receiver out of the backfield. He isn't very durable, even by college standards, and will never be a multi-down back.

He is fast, but 1st round/2nd round material he isn't right now.

Well his speed was legit, lol.

I still don't think you take him until the 3rd or 4th. McCluster is a good comparison by GEEK.

McCluster went 36th overall, early 2nd.
keep in mind in the highlights he is playing extremely weak competition, teams with rosters of players that won't get a chance at the nfl, teams with secondary players running in the 4.7s

Unlike Tavon Austin he is not a WR, he plays RB and a receiver out of the backfield. He isn't very durable, even by college standards, and will never be a multi-down back.

He is fast, but 1st round/2nd round material he isn't right now.

Well his speed was legit, lol.

I still don't think you take him until the 3rd or 4th. McCluster is a good comparison by GEEK.

McCluster went 36th overall, early 2nd.

Agree to an extent. He's like a small school, poor man's McCluster but with 4.2 speed. Archer is shorter, faced weaker competition, is indeed an inexperience WR.

Jacoby Ford came out of Clemson as a WR (he had already been converted from RB) and he ran a 4.28, but if I recall he wasn't selected until the 4th. He was bigger than Archer and came from a major program. Archer in my opinion would be a luxury pick to someone in the 4th round, but I believe any earlier than that would be a reach for him.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Agree to an extent. He's like a small school, poor man's McCluster but with 4.2 speed. Archer is shorter, faced weaker competition, is indeed an inexperience WR.

Jacoby Ford came out of Clemson as a WR (he had already been converted from RB) and he ran a 4.28, but if I recall he wasn't selected until the 4th. He was bigger than Archer and came from a major program. Archer in my opinion would be a luxury pick to someone in the 4th round, but I believe any earlier than that would be a reach for him.

I would take him in the 4th round with the comp pick for Goldson.
One of my best friends is a Raider fan and soon as he finished his 40 he texted me
"With the 5th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft the Oakland Raiders select Dri Archer, really fast dude, Kent State."
Lol.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
One of my best friends is a Raider fan and soon as he finished his 40 he texted me
"With the 5th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft the Oakland Raiders select Dri Archer, really fast dude, Kent State."
Lol.

"really fast dude"

I want him in the 4th round though.
Share 49ersWebzone