There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Dri Archer-WR/RB/KR/PR/Pure Beast Mode-Kent State

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
There are better options than Archer...guys who can run fast, catch and return the ball, etc. The biggest factor IMHO is overall size...give me a guy who can withstand the beating he'll face in the NFL. For guys 5-8 to 5-10 an extra 20 lbs of muscle makes a big difference. Which is why Baalke likes Cooks (and most likely Herron)...they're short & fast, but stout. Note Albert Wilson, whom they're hosting in Santa Clara...he's 5-9, but weighs 200 lbs.

This "can they stand a beating talk" is way overrated. Year after year we see guys like Welker, TY Hilton, DeSean Jackson...Dexter McCluster...all have success without getting "broken in half."

Nobody is looking at Archer as anything more than a special teams returner and a change of pace back, slot receiver...etc. He may not have the size of some other guys, but there's really nobody else that possesses his sort of pure speed and explosiveness in this draft. He'll be a utility player of sorts when drafted, a guy like that who can contribute in so many ways is certainly worth a late mid to late 4th rounder.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 4, 2014 at 6:27 PM ]
I think Archer would be worth a late 2nd. Lamichael James was supposed to be a RB. I see Archer as just a return man, and if he can help out on offense it's a bounus. The dude has unreal return skillz.
Is anybody still keen on Dri Archer ? I am. I would love to draft him in the 3rd. I see him as an explosive playmaker who can be inserted into both the passing and running game, of course on top of his scary return game.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Below is a chart showing Archer's career stats.

Archer was academically ineligible in 2011.

Archer only missed three games in his 4 year career.
He seems durable.

Archer is a very good kickoff returner.
Archer is NOT a punt returner.

[ Edited by buck on May 1, 2014 at 2:27 PM ]
The highlight at the 5:00 mark makes me want the Niners to draft him in the 2nd. round........
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
The highlight at the 5:00 mark makes me want the Niners to draft him in the 2nd. round........

There are very few people in college football who would immediately improve the 49ers more than Archer would (return man). I'm all for it. He's a must-draft along with Donte Moncrief IMO.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on May 1, 2014 at 6:35 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Below is a chart showing Archer's career stats.

Archer was academically ineligible in 2011.

Archer only missed three games in his 4 year career.
He seems durable.

Archer is a very good kickoff returner.
Archer is NOT a punt returner.

Looks like he had a tough year last season. His 2012 stats are perfectly respectable or even impressive. I wonder what was the reason for his drop-off ? But, his highlights certainly showed immense speed and explosiveness as proven in the combine. He could well be one of those gems in the rough kind of a prospect. Small school, drop-off in 2013, I think for a guy like that you simply have to go with eye test and feel.
In his last two seasons combined he averaged 1TD every 10 carries. That's good right?

That doesn't include his 8 receiving TDs and his 4 KO return TDs. And a passing TD.

If he wasn't so little who knows where he would be drafted.

Is it possible he could be a first round surprise?
[ Edited by theninermaniac on May 1, 2014 at 7:05 PM ]
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
There are very few people in college football who would immediately improve the 49ers more than Archer would (return man). I'm all for it. He's a must-draft along with Donte Moncrief IMO.

You better be right. If we draft them, and they don't pan out, I'm holding you personally responsible.
[ Edited by SofaKing on May 1, 2014 at 7:03 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
You better be right. If we draft them, and they don't pan out, I'm holding you personally responsible.

Legal disclaimer:

Any incident involving bomb threats, being passed out drunk behind the wheel of a car or the use of brass knuckles voids guarantee.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on May 1, 2014 at 7:51 PM ]
I have nothing else to add about Dri Archer, the guy is a difference maker. Make it happen, Baalke !!!
I find him to be a Sproles like explosive player. He's one of the few people who could come on board and make a difference right away in the return game and potentially also contribute as a slot receiver.
It would be great to get him in the end of the 2nd or early in the 3rd round.
Going to be a Niner tomorrow? Hope so!!
Originally posted by deepniner:
I find him to be a Sproles like explosive player. He's one of the few people who could come on board and make a difference right away in the return game and potentially also contribute as a slot receiver.
It would be great to get him in the end of the 2nd or early in the 3rd round.

He will probably be a saint tomorrow watch. Him and Cooks
I dont mind getting Dri Archer, but we still have LaMichael James, and according to articles that i've read, Baalke wants to keep him around. Archer is wicked fast though and getting some good blocks on our special teams offense could let archer use that 4.26 40 speed to bust through and get us down the field for good position for Kaepernick