LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 208 users in the forums

Tanking it for Clowney

He declared according to GBNReport.com, which is no surprise.
Has this guys athletic ability ever materialized into on the field production? From everything that I am reading he took this year off.
Originally posted by fister30:
Has this guys athletic ability ever materialized into on the field production? From everything that I am reading he took this year off.

He looked pretty good in his bowl game. Saw him knock a couple of passes down on the line and actually beat a cut block to take a pass off of his helmet that ended up getting picked. I think he could be a beast as a 3-4 OLB, think bigger, taller, faster Aldon
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
i love clowney, but idk about this. there was another player named mario williams, that is very very similar to clowney. plus, clowney isn't known for his great work ethic.

If there is no work ethis Baalke will not touch him with a ten foot pole. Talent is one thing, work ethic is another. Baalke wants both or he will not get picked by the Niners, even if he was available to pick.

I'm curious how much of the production drop on the stat sheet this season was from him playing not to get injured. He would have been a top 3 pick last year and had the body to play in the NFL at 18. Due to the stupid rules that say you have to be 3 years out of HS before you can be drafted meant he HAD to come back and play another year in the NCAA even though he made it known he didn't want to, and would rather have entered last years draft. Can't blame the guy for being annoyed, he could have got hurt this year and lost millions.
Is he still a top 2 pick or do we have a chance at him if he reaches the teens (we would trade up)
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Is he still a top 2 pick or do we have a chance at him if he reaches the teens (we would trade up)

Not top 2 anymore, but still top 10.
Rams sitting pretty again. Just like when they had the number 2 pick when folks were hype for RG3. They could possibly make another great trade for a team trying to move up a few spots to get Clowney. I don't think he gets outta the top 5
[ Edited by lamontb on Jan 2, 2014 at 2:05 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
I think rams take him. Their D is gonna be nasty for years to come.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
I don't see this coming. Quinn is set, Chris Long has a huge contract at least next season (all of his huge salary is guaranteed, iirc) and they have to take an OT in the first place, imho.
I would even think that they won't risk to trade down and lose out on Jake Matthews.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Yah I can see that happening too. Contractually, they're not committed to Chris Long after the 2014 season and could cut him with no negative cap hit. So they'd just have to extend Robert Quinn (no-brainer) and draft Clowney to have two monster DEs for years to come.

The Rams will probably need a RT and Safety now and Jake Matthews is sitting there around. Furthermore I think that you can always find good DEs, especially some guys with a way better work ethic and motor like Kareem Martin from NC (AB81-approved :p) who will be available in the 2nd round.

Matthews has proven that he can play on either side and without Joeckel as well. Imho, he is a very safe pick whereas I have some question marks about Clowney given his on/off-games.
Though, the Rams could wait until their second first-rounder and TRY to pick Lewan; then again, this could be the range of HaHa and the Rams need a good safety badly.

Of course, I do not want to rule out a Clowney-pick out completely. Indeed he could be taken to replace Chris Long after the 2014 season. But like I (tried to) say: Clowney has some kind of questionable work ethic. Personally, I would steer clear of such guys that high. If I pick a guy in the top10 or even in top5, he has to be almost perfect, especially character-wise.
Originally posted by walker807:
Originally posted by fister30:

He looked pretty good in his bowl game. Saw him knock a couple of passes down on the line and actually beat a cut block to take a pass off of his helmet that ended up getting picked. I think he could be a beast as a 3-4 OLB, think bigger, taller, faster Aldon

That good? Aldon is probably the best pass rusher in the league right now. He had a "bad game" against the cards in some eyes because he didn't record any sacks, but he still was planting palmer on a regular basis just as the ball was released. If Clowney is that good, he's gonna tear up the league.
Originally posted by communist:
I don't see this coming. Quinn is set, Chris Long has a huge contract at least next season (all of his huge salary is guaranteed, iirc) and they have to take an OT in the first place, imho.
I would even think that they won't risk to trade down and lose out on Jake Matthews.

They could trade down to 5 with ATL and still get Matthews or even later and take Lawan from Michigan. I don't think Lawan or HaHa are gonna be around in teh 2nd round. It's hard to judge d lineman, but dudes measureales and play is just too much for teams to be passing on. Gotta coach him up and have faith in yrou staff. But it can go either way. If Tomsula got a hold of Clowney for an off season I would have no doubts he'd be a beast and playing hard.
Originally posted by lamontb:
They could trade down to 5 with ATL and still get Matthews or even later and take Lawan from Michigan. I don't think Lawan or HaHa are gonna be around in teh 2nd round. It's hard to judge d lineman, but dudes measureales and play is just too much for teams to be passing on. Gotta coach him up and have faith in yrou staff. But it can go either way. If Tomsula got a hold of Clowney for an off season I would have no doubts he'd be a beast and playing hard.
Back pardon?
Hell no... i'm on record that he is not that good... Kids mental situation is not there... BRIDGEWATER SUCKS!!!!
[ Edited by Stevec9932 on Jan 2, 2014 at 2:50 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone