LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Tanking it for Clowney

• titan
  • Veteran
No. The only time I was willing to tank it was with Calvin Johnson and Andrew Luck.
As mentioned in other comments, the guy looks like he's kind of playing to not get injured.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Jadeveon Clowney voices frustration

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9650411/jadeveon-clowney-south-carolina-gamecocks-frustrated-how-being-used-defense

Interesting read.

Two games into the season and Clowney is complaining to the press.

Something is not going so well.
Talk about fantasy football.
Other than that one big hit that made highlight reels all over ESPN, what's all the hype about this guy?
6 tackles in two games
1 sack

Interesting stats from UGA game:

ESPNU ‏@ESPNU2m

#UGA Offense w/ Clowney

on Field On/Off
% of plays 78%/22%
Yds per play 8.3/2.8
10+ yd plays 17/2
Good. I hope all this bad news makes his draft stock drop. Sharrif Floyd and Star Lotulelei dropped like rocks on draft day. Maybe the same will happen with Clowney.
[ Edited by Young2Rice4TD on Sep 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice4TD:
Good. I hope all this bad news makes his draft stock drop. Sharrif Floyd and Star Lotulelei dropped like rocks on draft day. Maybe the same will happen with Clowney.

LOL, not a chance in hell. Floyd never really "dropped", he was looked at as an early 2nd rounder/late 1st rounder and actually moved up quite a bit, at one point some prognosticators had him pretty high but he was pretty limited. Lotulelei dropped almost entirely due to medical issues, issues that so far have not been problematic at all as he's looked very good.
After the first couple of weeks, no one should be tanking for Clowney. He still is a beast and still will go top 3, but he has lost some of his mojo as a "once in a decade" type prospect.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
LOL, not a chance in hell. Floyd never really "dropped", he was looked at as an early 2nd rounder/late 1st rounder and actually moved up quite a bit, at one point some prognosticators had him pretty high but he was pretty limited. Lotulelei dropped almost entirely due to medical issues, issues that so far have not been problematic at all as he's looked very good.

Yeah, I really liked Floyd, but when he started rising to top 10-12 status? I was easily like .

tanking a season for one player is ridiculous ...I'd hate to be a fan of a team that is so desperate that intentionally losing is an option
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
tanking a season for one player is ridiculous ...I'd hate to be a fan of a team that is so desperate that intentionally losing is an option

Seem to work ok for the Spurs, Cavs, and Colts.
Browns?

Are they throwing away the season to make a big run at #1 pick next year?
This guy is such a joke. He informed his team he would not dress and play when coaches and trainers said he was fine to go. He gave up on his team and is tanking the whole season to go to the NFL. And have you checked his stat line recently? He is so overrated. Huge bust potential to say the least.
  • buck
  • Veteran
South Carolina All-American defensive end Jadeveon Clowney did not play against Kentucky on Saturday, and coach Steve Spurrier was not entirely pleased about it.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9778041/jadeveon-clowney-misses-no-13-south-carolina-gamecocks-game-vs-kentucky-wildcats
Share 49ersWebzone