LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

Tanking it for Clowney

Would you tank this season if you were an average to bad to team for Clowney?
Yes. But the average to bad teams are not set at quarterback, and I would rather tank for Bridgewater. He reminds me of Aaron Rodgers
SUre why not? Oh wait......
  • buck
  • Veteran
CCCC

Complete Collapse and Capitulation for Clowney.
No - unless Seattle is in a position to get him.

That said - in another direction, what would we have realistically have to give up in draft picks and/or trade to get him?
Originally posted by SFgoldrush49:
Would you tank this season if you were an average to bad to team for Clowney?

Hell to the no. People keep assuming that he's going to be the #1 pick but personally, I'd far much rather go after Teddy Bridgewater who looks like an absolute stud, potential NFL franchise QB.

As good as guys like JJ Watt and Aldon Smith are, would you ever take either of them over an Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning????
I do not believe in tanking. Particularly for a dominant defensive player, as much as I love defense. If you are going to tank, do it for a franchise QB. Some of the greatest pass rushers of all time (Bruce Smith, Reggie White, etc) couldn't single handledly turn around a poor team. Imagine if we traded for Fred Dean in 1981, but still had DeBerg or someone at QB. What would've become of the 1981 49ers?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I do not believe in tanking. Particularly for a dominant defensive player, as much as I love defense. If you are going to tank, do it for a franchise QB. Some of the greatest pass rushers of all time (Bruce Smith, Reggie White, etc) couldn't single handledly turn around a poor team. Imagine if we traded for Fred Dean in 1981, but still had DeBerg or someone at QB. What would've become of the 1981 49ers?

This. Tanking ultimately sucks for team morale, but if you do tank and if it ISN'T for a franchise quarterback....you're clearly doing it wrong.
There is a lot of talent at the top of the 2014 draft ... there are going to be some serious player rookies next year.
Who needs Lombardi #6 when you can get this guy?!?!

hash tag raiders
Nope. Remember the Reggie Bush Bowl? How stupid was that? Fact is.. you never know with these youngins
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
It makes no sense to tank for anyone...because if you're the coach and your team lands the top pick - you will and should be fired.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Remember the Bush Bowl? Last game of the season, us vs. the texans. Loser got the #1 pick. Thank god we didn't lose that game. We ended up taking VD with the #6 pick. Texans took Mario Williams which didn't turn out so well in hindsight.

At the time though, in those dark dark days, I remember wishing we would lose that game.
How many games will Clowney WIN for you from his DE position. Best case with a season no one has ever seen before....maybe 2?
Share 49ersWebzone