There are 65 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

***Johnny Manziel thread***

  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,698
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Bob, everyone here knows I played division 1 baseball. But there were no handshakes, no pretend classes or easy grades. I had to do the work. Kids qualify for entrance into school for sports when they normally would not, but thats life. They still have to go to class, pass...if they struggle, most teams get Tudors, etc to help.

No offense, but you are talking baseball, since at most schools it doesn't draw the revenue that football and basketball do, I would think the school would not risk a scandal to try to build a top notch program. That and I think a football program as a whole has traditionally more passionate boosters than the other sports.
Originally posted by BobS:
No offense, but you are talking baseball, since at most schools it doesn't draw the revenue that football and basketball do, I would think the school would not risk a scandal to try to build a top notch program. That and I think a football program as a whole has traditionally more passionate boosters than the other sports.

Not accurate, ASU is very passionate about their baseball

it depends on the school
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,698
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by BobS:
No offense, but you are talking baseball, since at most schools it doesn't draw the revenue that football and basketball do, I would think the school would not risk a scandal to try to build a top notch program. That and I think a football program as a whole has traditionally more passionate boosters than the other sports.

Not accurate, ASU is very passionate about their baseball

it depends on the school
Sorry for generalizing it does depend on the school. I would think if you averaged all schools together football would be #1, followed by basketball, and baseball. A good example of a baseball school is Cal State Fullerton in So Cal, they dumped football in the 70's, their basketball team never was any good for decades yet their baseball team could usually hang with any large D1 school.
Originally posted by BobS:
Sorry for generalizing it does depend on the school. I would think if you averaged all schools together football would be #1, followed by basketball, and baseball. A good example of a baseball school is Cal State Fullerton in So Cal, they dumped football in the 70's, their basketball team never was any good for decades yet their baseball team could usually hang with any large D1 school.


agree

also fyi ASU's baseball game is on probation for violations, type of stuff you'd see in football programs (recruiting violations, fake jobs to get paid, academic cheating ect.)
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,698
NCAA prohibits a college athlete from working, so if your parents can't afford to send you pocket money, what are you supposed to do?
Originally posted by BobS:
NCAA prohibits a college athlete from working, so if your parents can't afford to send you pocket money, what are you supposed to do?
your supposed to starve or get a credit card. meanwhile the SEC collect 55mil a year from CBS. players should be able to join out of high school. problem solved. it should be against the law to prevent someone from seeking employement. oh wait..
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,252
Originally posted by BobS:
NCAA prohibits a college athlete from working, so if your parents can't afford to send you pocket money, what are you supposed to do?

Didn't Mario Williams work at Subway while in college??
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 12,980
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by BobS:
No offense, but you are talking baseball, since at most schools it doesn't draw the revenue that football and basketball do, I would think the school would not risk a scandal to try to build a top notch program. That and I think a football program as a whole has traditionally more passionate boosters than the other sports.

Not accurate, ASU is very passionate about their baseball

it depends on the school
But is baseball driving the Athletic Department at ASU? I would venture that Sun Devil football would.
[ Edited by fropwns on Aug 10, 2013 at 6:32 PM ]
Originally posted by fropwns:
But is baseball driving the Athletic Department at ASU? I would venture that Sun Devil football would.

ASU sports does not make a profit, it operates in the red
So...how bout that Johnny Football?
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9562044/texas-aggies-qb-johnny-manziel-signed-two-more-sessions-sources
[ Edited by Negrodamus on Aug 12, 2013 at 9:37 PM ]
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 12,980
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by fropwns:
But is baseball driving the Athletic Department at ASU? I would venture that Sun Devil football would.

ASU sports does not make a profit, it operates in the red

Ack. Good to know. I am so used to SEC football, where it drives everything.

By the way for those wanting a Johnny Football sig, he is signing at my house at 5 AZ time!
[ Edited by fropwns on Aug 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,698
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9562044/texas-aggies-qb-johnny-manziel-signed-two-more-sessions-sources
I find it hard to believe somebody would sign as much as he did for free. Most people hate even signing their name the 50 or so times you do to buy a house.
Originally posted by BobS:
I find it hard to believe somebody would sign as much as he did for free. Most people hate even signing their name the 50 or so times you do to buy a house.

The signature was free, but the smile cost $200 bucks!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,333
Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS

RT @billyliucci: Latest on Manziel? Per multiple sources, he'll be suspended for first half of opener versus Rice on Sat