There are 187 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

***Johnny Manziel thread***

Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by Jcool:
darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell
BREAKING: The NCAA is investigating whether Johnny Manziel was paid for signing autographs
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9537999/otl-ncaa-investigating-johnny-manziel-profiting-autographs

so dumb.

ncaa needs to change their rules, they make millions off of their players and dont let these guys get any compensation at all, not even sell his own autograph? so stupid


You think colleges make millions? Only 23 athletic departments in the country that make a profit out of over 200 colleges

Football does generate a lot of revenue, but its all cycled back into coaches salaries, training facilities, supporting teams, building new stadiums ect.

Of the 23 that made a profit, 16 of them were receiving gov't subsidies.

Football generates a ton of money, but people don't realize the costs of running these huge programs

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/revenue/_/type/expenses

^^^in 2008 Alabama had $123 million in revenue, pretty awesome right? Its expenses are $123 million also, lol.

Edit: Basketball programs are actually more profitable than football, a LOT fewer expenses.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Aug 5, 2013 at 8:46 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,829
Originally posted by kingairta:
For me him getting thrown out of the Manning camp tells me all I need to know. He was invited to help kids. He doesn't have the self control or respect to behave for that short of time.

What a role model. Only being 20 going out drinking and showing up to a football camp for kids all hungover. I personally wish him the best but I really hope it doesn't involve the NFL.
I wonder how many top notch NFL quarterbacks of the past partied like Manziel did in college? More than you think. Wide spread use of the internet didn't occur till 15 years ago. Cell phone cameras have only been popular for 10 years. Twitter and Facebook are less than 10 years old. If Joe Montana was drunk at a frat party at 20 years old dancing with his pants down (A la Mark Sanchez) you would have had to read it in a newspaper or watch it on the TV news. Even if he did most likely no one would have had a picture or film so all he would have to do is deny it and get his close friends to deny it, so it would not have been a non story. Also Manziel is 20, any athletic people remember what it was like a 20? or even 25? If you were in good shape at that age you could close the bar and still be ready to hit the gym or the practice field at 9am the next with no ill effects.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
You think colleges make millions? Only 23 athletic departments in the country that make a profit out of over 200 colleges

Football does generate a lot of revenue, but its all cycled back into coaches salaries, training facilities, supporting teams, building new stadiums ect.

Of the 23 that made a profit, 16 of them were receiving gov't subsidies.

Football generates a ton of money, but people don't realize the costs of running these huge programs

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/revenue/_/type/expenses

^^^in 2008 Alabama had $123 million in revenue, pretty awesome right? Its expenses are $123 million also, lol.

Edit: Basketball programs are actually more profitable than football, a LOT fewer expenses.

The one thing to keep in mind is that Basketball and Football usually DO run at a profit for the big colleges however there are soo many sports that the athletic department as a whole have to support that it runs them into the red. Athletic departments have to support all the womens sports plus other sports that might not generate much if any revenue like soccer, track and field, atc.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,829
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
You think colleges make millions? Only 23 athletic departments in the country that make a profit out of over 200 colleges

Football does generate a lot of revenue, but its all cycled back into coaches salaries, training facilities, supporting teams, building new stadiums ect.

Of the 23 that made a profit, 16 of them were receiving gov't subsidies.

Football generates a ton of money, but people don't realize the costs of running these huge programs

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/revenue/_/type/expenses

^^^in 2008 Alabama had $123 million in revenue, pretty awesome right? Its expenses are $123 million also, lol.

Edit: Basketball programs are actually more profitable than football, a LOT fewer expenses.

The one thing to keep in mind is that Basketball and Football usually DO run at a profit for the big colleges however there are soo many sports that the athletic department as a whole have to support that it runs them into the red. Athletic departments have to support all the womens sports plus other sports that might not generate much if any revenue like soccer, track and field, atc.
Exactly, also at smaller schools where the football revenue isn't that high the expenses are a lot lower. At some places only the head coach is paid, everyone else volunteers for the love of the game or to build a resume. Even the concession stands at the games are run by non paid volunteers or students who support the football team, even at the lowest D-3 programs if football stood on it's own it would at least break even.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by Jcool:
darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell
BREAKING: The NCAA is investigating whether Johnny Manziel was paid for signing autographs
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9537999/otl-ncaa-investigating-johnny-manziel-profiting-autographs

so dumb.

ncaa needs to change their rules, they make millions off of their players and dont let these guys get any compensation at all, not even sell his own autograph? so stupid


You think colleges make millions? Only 23 athletic departments in the country that make a profit out of over 200 colleges

Football does generate a lot of revenue, but its all cycled back into coaches salaries, training facilities, supporting teams, building new stadiums ect.

Of the 23 that made a profit, 16 of them were receiving gov't subsidies.

Football generates a ton of money, but people don't realize the costs of running these huge programs

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/revenue/_/type/expenses

^^^in 2008 Alabama had $123 million in revenue, pretty awesome right? Its expenses are $123 million also, lol.

Edit: Basketball programs are actually more profitable than football, a LOT fewer expenses.

Im not talking about the actual schools.
The projected revenue for the NCAA is $800 million this year. They make millions off their players.

I'm not saying that the NCAA should pay their players, that's unrealistic, I dont think they should. But if a kid wants to sell his autograph let him sell it. If a kid could get a mini endorsement deal, why cant he get one? If a player could get a discount for being him, why can't he just take it. The whole idea is stupid. Their restrictions are too much.
I still don't get how the NCAA owns a players signature.
Manziel just wasn't mature enough to deal with all the fame, glory and a Heisman. There's a reason he's the first freshman to ever win it...Heisman voters have always avoided it because for many, it's just too young of an age to deal with it all. So, while Manziel hasn't dealt with it very well, he never should've been voted the Heisman, either. There have been only 3 sophomores and Manziel, a freshman to win the Heisman since 1935. In today's sports, with it's penchant for instant success/rewards, methinks the Heisman voters screwed up. They never should've put him in position to win it with only 1 year of major college football experience...Manziel will have to deal with whatever comes out of the investigation, but the Heisman voters are also culpable.
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Im not talking about the actual schools.
The projected revenue for the NCAA is $800 million this year. They make millions off their players.

I'm not saying that the NCAA should pay their players, that's unrealistic, I dont think they should. But if a kid wants to sell his autograph let him sell it. If a kid could get a mini endorsement deal, why cant he get one? If a player could get a discount for being him, why can't he just take it. The whole idea is stupid. Their restrictions are too much.


The problem is you are opening Pandora's box.

If a kid can sell his autograph while being amateur, he will effectively be earning a salary outside the college system. Boosters will end up getting involved in recruiting and offering top players thousands of dollars to go to a college.

Best way I can describe it is once you make one opening for college athletes to receive money, its like knocking a screw out of the Eifel Tower and the whole thing collapses because that one factor of receiving money for college sports will end up unraveling everything.

One example, if wealthy boosters are paying college athletes directly (through "buying" autographs), that means the college is no longer receiving the money. How is a college suppose to maintain the football program? Raising ticket prices. It will create the biggest divide in college sport ever seen in an escalating arms race loaded with crazy s**t going on.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Man you guys were never in college? I don't think there is anything that bad about what he has done. It's almost like some people are comparing him to Hernandez. He's 20, has a fake ID, likes to go out and have a good time on the weekends. Sounds like a normal college guy to me.

I was in college before cell phones with cameras FTMFW



you can't prove s**t
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,357
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Im not talking about the actual schools.
The projected revenue for the NCAA is $800 million this year. They make millions off their players.

I'm not saying that the NCAA should pay their players, that's unrealistic, I dont think they should. But if a kid wants to sell his autograph let him sell it. If a kid could get a mini endorsement deal, why cant he get one? If a player could get a discount for being him, why can't he just take it. The whole idea is stupid. Their restrictions are too much.


The problem is you are opening Pandora's box.

If a kid can sell his autograph while being amateur, he will effectively be earning a salary outside the college system. Boosters will end up getting involved in recruiting and offering top players thousands of dollars to go to a college.

Best way I can describe it is once you make one opening for college athletes to receive money, its like knocking a screw out of the Eifel Tower and the whole thing collapses because that one factor of receiving money for college sports will end up unraveling everything.

One example, if wealthy boosters are paying college athletes directly (through "buying" autographs), that means the college is no longer receiving the money. How is a college suppose to maintain the football program? Raising ticket prices. It will create the biggest divide in college sport ever seen in an escalating arms race loaded with crazy s**t going on.

Very good points made, couldn't agree more.
Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick........
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I still don't get how the NCAA owns a players signature.

They don't own his signature. Its just against the rules to sell it. He can sign whatever he wants, for free.
  • titan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,668
^They should get kicked out of the team for autographing & selling their game jersey and go to jail for selling school property! Lol.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,465
I kinda cheered for the kid when he played Crimson Tide last year and loved looking at Saban's mug when they got beat by Texas A&M. BUT lately, he's been portrayed as a spoiled little brat with deep pockets (because of daddy). I really don't even care what he does/what he has done... the media is blowing up this attention whore.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
They don't own his signature. Its just against the rules to sell it. He can sign whatever he wants, for free.

The NCAA and its rules are a load of self serving BS. There is nothing amateur about a sport that makes people billions of dollars every year but compensates its players with basically nothing. When the NCAA gets worked up about athletes making some money, it's truly hilarious.