LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

***Johnny Manziel thread***

Johnny football is the man.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Once again, this goes back to Dan Reeves discussion about why guys like Kaepernick and Wilson will fare better. If you're a running QB, you're going to take a big shot here and there, can't help it and when you're built like Russell Wilson who for all intents and purposes has the size of an NFL RB, or you're like Kaepernick and weigh 230+ pounds, you're going to do a lot better than a guy who is built like a stick figure.

Bringing up the Tom Brady comparison is useless because he's a pure pocket QB all the way, unless Manziel somehow completes the transition from running QB to pocket QB almost instantaneously, I don't see how he can hold up long-term, I said the same thing when Michael Vick came out. Troy Aikman had a column talking about the same exact issue, its just not his height that is the problem, its his overall build.

Reeves isn't the end all-be all of QB discussion though. If he ends up going in the top 10 I might trust their evaluation of him more than Reeves' even. Manziel may be a lot tougher than his size indicates. It's not like all of his bones are going to snap just because he takes a big hit from a Suh or a Polamalu. Garcia had a career that was pretty (major) injury free.

People are saying that taking him early is crazy because of his size but it's even crazier not to take him earlier just because of his size. He can easily pack on more mass and muscle.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Sorry guys, I just don't think Manziel has 1st round talent or even measurements for a 1st round QB. Combine that with his off-field issues, average or even below average arm-strength and hes nowhere near a 1st round QB. I think he can't make 50% of throws in the NFL even more so if he doesn't have an elite receiver like a Mike Evans where he could just lob one up and the receiver will come down with it. At best I think Manziel would be a good change-of-pace back up QB in the NFL. Hating you say.....well maybe a little cause I wouldn't want that headcase as a 49er, I'd be good with Colt McCoy.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Once again, this goes back to Dan Reeves discussion about why guys like Kaepernick and Wilson will fare better. If you're a running QB, you're going to take a big shot here and there, can't help it and when you're built like Russell Wilson who for all intents and purposes has the size of an NFL RB, or you're like Kaepernick and weigh 230+ pounds, you're going to do a lot better than a guy who is built like a stick figure.

Bringing up the Tom Brady comparison is useless because he's a pure pocket QB all the way, unless Manziel somehow completes the transition from running QB to pocket QB almost instantaneously, I don't see how he can hold up long-term, I said the same thing when Michael Vick came out. Troy Aikman had a column talking about the same exact issue, its just not his height that is the problem, its his overall build.

Reeves isn't the end all-be all of QB discussion though. If he ends up going in the top 10 I might trust their evaluation of him more than Reeves' even. Manziel may be a lot tougher than his size indicates. It's not like all of his bones are going to snap just because he takes a big hit from a Suh or a Polamalu. Garcia had a career that was pretty (major) injury free.

People are saying that taking him early is crazy because of his size but it's even crazier not to take him earlier just because of his size. He can easily pack on more mass and muscle.

No, giving a kid a million dollars when all he wants to do is party is why I wouldn't take him early.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
No, giving a kid a million dollars when all he wants to do is party is why I wouldn't take him early.

Hes not an alcoholic. He had a quite season minus the autograph scandal at the beginning. Statistically his 2013 season beat 2012 season so he's not in a downward spiral or it would've manifeated itself on the field. All I noticed was him carrying his team to 8-4 when by all rights that defense was 0-12. Anyways beating a dead horse. I like Bridgewater and Bortles easily over Manziel but some team is going to continue the trend and pick him high because he's mobile.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jan 10, 2014 at 10:14 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by eonblue:

Hes not an alcoholic. He had a quite season minus the autograph scandal at the beginning. Statistically his 2013 season beat 2012 season so he's not in a downward spiral or it would've manifeated itself on the field. All I noticed was him carrying his team to 8-4 when by all rights that defense was 0-12. Anyways beating a dead horse. I like Bridgewater and Bortles easily over Manziel but some team is going to continue the trend and pick him high because he's mobile.

I guess you continue to disregard that long article with his dad admitting that his son is indeed an acholic. And Manziel carrying his team or was it Evans and Walker bailing him out?? But yes a dead horse......shoot I can name 5 QB's I'd take over Manziel without him being a head case.

I guess you continue to disregard that long article with his dad admitting that his son is indeed an acholic. And Manziel carrying his team or was it Evans and Walker bailing him out?? But yes a dead horse......shoot I can name 5 QB's I'd take over Manziel without him being a head case.

Agree Kolohe. Manziel is not first round talent. He is being touted as the first QB taken? Give me a break. He is being comapred to Russell Wilson when he clearly is not as smart or has the work ethic that Wilson has. He does not have Kaps size or arm strength.Throw in the off the field red flags and I wouldn't draft this clown higher than the 4th round. If he goes in the first, expectations will be too high to handle and he'll end up being a bust.

Really? Who would those be?

Manziel can make every throw in the book and obviously has the feet to escape the rush. I dont think there are any sure things among this QB group but I dont see 5 that have bigger upsides.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean

Gov. Perry and Pres. Bush 44 are among those expected at Manziel's pro day. Biggest pro day ever at A&M.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean

Gov. Perry and Pres. Bush 44 are among those expected at Manziel's pro day. Biggest pro day ever at A&M.

I'd rate Manziel behind Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr in terms of being "NFL-ready". Now, could he surprise us...yeah, it's possible. But, I agree, he's smallish and could be in for a rude awakening, especially given he likely ends up on a bad team starting out.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
nvm.
[ Edited by Jcool on Mar 27, 2014 at 8:20 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt

Just asked Manziel why the pads and helmet at pro day: "Isn't the game played with them on?
I think it all comes down to the first time he gets hit so hard he gets snot bubbles and Hus ego ozzes out the ear hole of his helmet. What he does after that will define Hus career!
Peace from the fan
Share 49ersWebzone