There are 56 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
San Francisco likes big, physical players at all positions.


Yeah. Right. How are these guys big?

Morris, Darryl 5-10 188
Brock, Tramaine 5-10 197
Brown, Tarell 5-10 193
Wright, Eric 5-10 200
Moody, Nick 6-1 236
Hampton, Jewel 5-9 210
Hunter, Kendall 5-7 199
James, LaMichael 5-9 195
Patton, Quinton 6-0 204
Reed, David 6-0 190
Wylie, Devon 5-9 187
Patton, Quinton 6-0 204
Jacobs, Chuck 6-0 178
Manningham, Mario 6-0 185
Ventrone, Bubba 5-10 200
Whitner, Donte 5-10 208

I see what you did there. You actually used something some of us like to call "facts" to counter conventional talking points and cliches. Well played.
Beckham, Moncrief and Mathews are the guys that I'm really hoping we grab... Just one..dealers choice...puhlease......
  • pd24
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,034
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Beckham, Moncrief and Mathews are the guys that I'm really hoping we grab... Just one..dealers choice...puhlease......

I want 2 of them, well I want Becham and one of the other two, I prefer Moncrief, but if we do get Mathews, do you think he will be the 1st 49ers WR to train with Rice?
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
San Francisco likes big, physical players at all positions.


Yeah. Right. How are these guys big?

Morris, Darryl 5-10 188
Brock, Tramaine 5-10 197
Brown, Tarell 5-10 193
Wright, Eric 5-10 200
Moody, Nick 6-1 236
Hampton, Jewel 5-9 210
Hunter, Kendall 5-7 199
James, LaMichael 5-9 195
Patton, Quinton 6-0 204
Reed, David 6-0 190
Wylie, Devon 5-9 187
Patton, Quinton 6-0 204
Jacobs, Chuck 6-0 178
Manningham, Mario 6-0 185
Ventrone, Bubba 5-10 200
Whitner, Donte 5-10 208

A better word would be "strong" and/or "athletic", physical players I think.

I am sure there are many better words to use when we describe what the 49ers like in players.

Dedicated, hard working, smart, tough, disciplined, even physical, but I would not include the word big.

With McDrunk the focus was on big and physical. With Baalke all he has said is that he subscribes to that philosophy but also stated if a player can play he can play regardless of size. (it was an article during the infamous Sing & Baalke draft). Baalke seems to hold his Golden Helmet stickers above all else when considering players to draft.

True! But it is an interesting list; RB's and CB's probably shouldn't be included b/c we have bigger RB's in Gore, Lattimore and slightly smaller guys in Hampton, Hunter and James as tweeners or change-of-pace RB's. And CB, clearly Baalke went for much taller CB's in Nnamdi and Cooper (and another in FA) and brought in Morris for his slot-speed.
Morris, Darryl 5-10 188 - slot CB with lightning speed
Brock, Tramaine 5-10 197 - worked his way up to our #1 CB; not the biggest but certainly, the most physical and aggressive ala Culliver.
Brown, Tarell 5-10 193 - technique guy and doesn't play well with press coverage
Wright, Eric 5-10 200 - physical like Brock but raw in our system
Moody, Nick 6-1 236 - ST guy but aggressive/physical
Hampton, Jewel 5-9 210 - I think Hampton is bigger now and is more in the mold of Gore than Hunter.
Hunter, Kendall 5-7 199 - change of pace back with edge speed
James, LaMichael 5-9 195 - same
Patton, Quinton 6-0 204 - good size for a slot WR
Reed, David 6-0 190 - who?
Wylie, Devon 5-9 187 - who?
Jacobs, Chuck 6-0 178 - who?
Manningham, Mario 6-0 185 - oft-injured even prior to coming to SF (Kyle Williams, same concept)
Ventrone, Bubba 5-10 200 - ST player also but very aggressive
Whitner, Donte 5-10 208 - abused in coverage d/t size; best suited for in-the-box and playing down hill with everything clearly in front of him. Need a Reid-type to compliment his shortcomings IMHO.

So I guess, size (height+weight) isn't the determining factor as it is the role you'll play for us, speed and esp. aggressiveness/physicality (if you are on the smaller end).
Originally posted by NCommand:
True! But it is an interesting list; RB's and CB's probably shouldn't be included b/c we have bigger RB's in Gore, Lattimore and slightly smaller guys in Hampton, Hunter and James as tweeners or change-of-pace RB's. And CB, clearly Baalke went for much taller CB's in Nnamdi and Cooper (and another in FA) and brought in Morris for his slot-speed.
Morris, Darryl 5-10 188 - slot CB with lightning speed
Brock, Tramaine 5-10 197 - worked his way up to our #1 CB; not the biggest but certainly, the most physical and aggressive ala Culliver.
Brown, Tarell 5-10 193 - technique guy and doesn't play well with press coverage
Wright, Eric 5-10 200 - physical like Brock but raw in our system
Moody, Nick 6-1 236 - ST guy but aggressive/physical
Hampton, Jewel 5-9 210 - I think Hampton is bigger now and is more in the mold of Gore than Hunter.
Hunter, Kendall 5-7 199 - change of pace back with edge speed
James, LaMichael 5-9 195 - same
Patton, Quinton 6-0 204 - good size for a slot WR
Reed, David 6-0 190 - who?
Wylie, Devon 5-9 187 - who?
Jacobs, Chuck 6-0 178 - who?
Manningham, Mario 6-0 185 - oft-injured even prior to coming to SF (Kyle Williams, same concept)
Ventrone, Bubba 5-10 200 - ST player also but very aggressive
Whitner, Donte 5-10 208 - abused in coverage d/t size; best suited for in-the-box and playing down hill with everything clearly in front of him. Need a Reid-type to compliment his shortcomings IMHO.

So I guess, size (height+weight) isn't the determining factor as it is the role you'll play for us, speed and esp. aggressiveness/physicality (if you are on the smaller end).

Last preseason hero!

Any news about him? Can't wait to see his improvement during the season.
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Beckham, Moncrief and Mathews are the guys that I'm really hoping we grab... Just one..dealers choice...puhlease......

I want 2 of them, well I want Becham and one of the other two, I prefer Moncrief, but if we do get Mathews, do you think he will be the 1st 49ers WR to train with Rice?

Everything I hear says that he has Jerry's work ethic.
Marquise lee dropping? We should pounce if so

He has rare acceleration like Watkins but we can dream Watkins but lee is attainable
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Marquise lee dropping? We should pounce if so

He has rare acceleration like Watkins but we can dream Watkins but lee is attainable

If he runs well at his pro-day he will be back in the conversation of 3rd WR taken. He ran slower than he looked on film at the combine is why his star has faded a bit.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Marquise lee dropping? We should pounce if so

He has rare acceleration like Watkins but we can dream Watkins but lee is attainable

You can have Lee...If I were selecting for the 49ers I would draft both Moncreif and Martivas Bryant
I believe Beckham will be drafted in the 1st round, Maybe even Mathews might hear his name called in the draft before Lee...Wow this draft is sooo deep in WRs you will see some incredible talent available in the 4th rounds
Originally posted by Orlando49erfan:
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Marquise lee dropping? We should pounce if so

He has rare acceleration like Watkins but we can dream Watkins but lee is attainable

You can have Lee...If I were selecting for the 49ers I would draft both Moncreif and Martivas Bryant
I believe Beckham will be drafted in the 1st round, Maybe even Mathews might hear his name called in the draft before Lee...Wow this draft is sooo deep in WRs you will see some incredible talent available in the 4th rounds

I want Moncrief & Bryant combination in the draft for the 49ers.
I believe the FO will get one top rated WR in this draft, and that's OK.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
I think ya'll are going to be disappointed... I don't see us taking a receiver in the first two rounds unless we package a few picks and move up for one of the Elite guys (Watkins, Evans). San Francisco likes big, physical players at all positions. Martavious Bryant is the only guy I could see us drafting, maybe Shaq Evans or Jeff Jannis in the later rounds.

Wait so because Bryant is tall you think he's physical? Dude may have good size but he's soft and one dimensional. No thanks...
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
I think ya'll are going to be disappointed... I don't see us taking a receiver in the first two rounds unless we package a few picks and move up for one of the Elite guys (Watkins, Evans). San Francisco likes big, physical players at all positions. Martavious Bryant is the only guy I could see us drafting, maybe Shaq Evans or Jeff Jannis in the later rounds.

Wait so because Bryant is tall you think he's physical? Dude may have good size but he's soft and one dimensional. No thanks...

I like is this Kid has gotten better his upside is enormous ...If you look at his highlights the catch where he scored with his wingspan from the 4 yard line is amazing...As much as as I like Beckham he can't do that. I haven't seen Clemson that much but the kid does not look like he can't take contact. He actually wins a few fight for the ball. If you draft Moncrief as well he is more than physical
Originally posted by tohara3:
I want Moncrief & Bryant combination in the draft for the 49ers.
No, thx. We've got Baldwin already.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Beckham, Moncrief and Mathews are the guys that I'm really hoping we grab... Just one..dealers choice...puhlease......

I want 2 of them, well I want Becham and one of the other two, I prefer Moncrief, but if we do get Mathews, do you think he will be the 1st 49ers WR to train with Rice?

Everything I hear says that he has Jerry's work ethic.

Matthews may be one of the biggest winners fram the combine. He had everything going for him (work ethic, productivity, hands) except for the perception that he couldn't be a deep guy in the NFL...didn't have the speed. Now he has demonstrated he has speed--both in the 40 and the 3 cone drill. Beckham and Moncrief have solidified their positions among the leaders and I'd love to see either one on the niners next year.

I think a guy who will lose out due to the combine but who I would love to take if he drops down to the 3rd or 4th rounds is Landry. He is so similar to Boldin in catching around, over and through DBs! His catches are not just acrobatic, they show an uncanny abililty to adjust to the ball to take it from DBs. Can he do the same against NFL competition? I think so.