LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
I think ya'll are going to be disappointed... I don't see us taking a receiver in the first two rounds unless we package a few picks and move up for one of the Elite guys (Watkins, Evans). San Francisco likes big, physical players at all positions. Martavious Bryant is the only guy I could see us drafting, maybe Shaq Evans or Jeff Jannis in the later rounds.

lol. I like how you reference 2 fairly normal sized guys for the late rounders, equal in Crabtree's size and same with Watkins despite being elite talent he is the same size as Crabtree. Evans is the only "physically imposing WR" in the 1st. Bryant is just long and fast, he's not a physical WR when compared to many of the day 2 WRs.

When in fact the 2nd,3rd, and 4th will be rife with talent WRs that are 6'2"-6'4" and 215-225(Moncrief 6'2" 225 or Matthews 6'3" 215 just to name a couple) pounds with good sized arms. We will be taking a WR before those rounds are over.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 24, 2014 at 1:16 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
lol. I like how you reference 2 fairly normal sized guys for the late rounders, equal in Crabtree's size and same with Watkins despite being elite talent he is the same size as Crabtree. Evans is the only "physically imposing WR" in the 1st. Bryant is just long and fast, he's not a physical WR when compared to many of the day 2 WRs.

When in fact the 2nd,3rd, and 4th will be rife with talent WRs that are 6'2"-6'4" and 215-225(Moncrief 6'2" 225 or Matthews 6'3" 215 just to name a couple) pounds with good sized arms. We will be taking a WR before those rounds are over.

Have you even seen the guys I mentioned? Shaq Evans is a built kid... looks like a running back. And Jeff Jannis is bigger than both Moncried and Matthews. And Sammy Watkins is most definitely physically imposing.

Watch more football and stop masturbating to 40 yard dash times. We do this every year. We salivate over receivers with great triangle numbers and then get mad when we don't draft them.
I think ya'll are going to be disappointed... I don't see us taking a receiver in the first two rounds unless we package a few picks and move up for one of the Elite guys (Watkins, Evans). San Francisco likes big, physical players at all positions. Martavious Bryant is the only guy I could see us drafting, maybe Shaq Evans or Jeff Jannis in the later rounds.

Interesting thought, but I'm not sure it will play out like that. Beckham and Cooks are special as speed guys, and Beckham blocks well on the edge. If we want a speed/quickness guy who is ready to rush onto the field right away, it looks like the talent drops off a bit after those two. Matthews and Moncrief are as big as or bigger than Crab and Q. Both play physically, and Moncrief blocks very well. Not saying we'll go WR in the 1st, but I'd be surprised if we got out of the 2nd without one.
Have you even seen the guys I mentioned? Shaq Evans is a built kid... looks like a running back. And Jeff Jannis is bigger than both Moncried and Matthews. And Sammy Watkins is most definitely physically imposing.

Watch more football and stop masturbating to 40 yard dash times. We do this every year. We salivate over receivers with great triangle numbers and then get mad when we don't draft them.

49ers drafted Patton last year. By that same token I wouldn't be shocked to see them take Moncrief or Matthews.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Interesting thought, but I'm not sure it will play out like that. Beckham and Cooks are special as speed guys, and Beckham blocks well on the edge. If we want a speed/quickness guy who is ready to rush onto the field right away, it looks like the talent drops off a bit after those two. Matthews and Moncrief are as big as or bigger than Crab and Q. Both play physically, and Moncrief blocks very well. Not saying we'll go WR in the 1st, but I'd be surprised if we got out of the 2nd without one.

Moncrief is 6'2", 220+, not sure where this guy is going with trying to describe him as small.
That's why we drafted AJ Jenkins and LMJ in 2012...

IF Baalke and Harbaugh really think this way only, they should be fired immeadiately. But, fortunately, they don't think this way, imho, given the two names mentioned above.

Matter of fact is that Boldin won't be here forever, Crabtree could be gone next year and we don't know s**t about Patton and Baldwin. We will need AT LEAST another WR for the next season only...we need yet another WR to develop for the case if he has to be #3 or even #2 in 2015.
Furthermore, we need speed at WR badly. The WR-class is deep in general but not very deep when it comes down to speed...most of these guys will be gone by the end of the 2nd round, imo. Baalke will pull the trigger before. It is simply one ouf our biggest if not even THE biggest need.
Since Baalke is here, we have always drafted for need somehow. O-Line (back then with Singletary), QB, fast WR, quick/fast RB, pass-rusher, CB, future D-End, #2 TE and so on.

Please Lord, I rarely ask for anything...but let this be BS!
Originally posted by genus49:
^Bruce Ellington has 31'' arms but for his size that's great. Has good sized hands too. Hopefully Baalke keeps it in perspective. That kid can be special for us if we draft him.

Noticed that the other small receivers Herron and Campanaro (another player I really like) have big hands as well -- bigger than many of the much taller WRs -- and hand size is often considered a major plus for receivers to be able to pluck the ball and hang onto it.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Watch more football and stop masturbating to 40 yard dash times.

• buck
  • Veteran
San Francisco likes big, physical players at all positions.

Yeah. Right. How are these guys big?

Morris, Darryl 5-10 188
Brock, Tramaine 5-10 197
Brown, Tarell 5-10 193
Wright, Eric 5-10 200
Moody, Nick 6-1 236
Hampton, Jewel 5-9 210
Hunter, Kendall 5-7 199
James, LaMichael 5-9 195
Patton, Quinton 6-0 204
Reed, David 6-0 190
Wylie, Devon 5-9 187
Patton, Quinton 6-0 204
Jacobs, Chuck 6-0 178
Manningham, Mario 6-0 185
Ventrone, Bubba 5-10 200
Whitner, Donte 5-10 208

Originally posted by buck:

Morris, Darryl 5-10 188
Brock, Tramaine 5-10 197
Brown, Tarell 5-10 193
Wright, Eric 5-10 200
Moody, Nick 6-1 236
Hampton, Jewel 5-9 210
Hunter, Kendall 5-7 199
James, LaMichael 5-9 195
Patton, Quinton 6-0 204
Reed, David 6-0 190
Wylie, Devon 5-9 187
Patton, Quinton 6-0 204
Jacobs, Chuck 6-0 178
Ventrone, Bubba 5-10 200
Whitner, Donte 5-10 208

A better word would be "strong" and/or "athletic", physical players I think.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Please Lord, I rarely ask for anything...but let this be BS!

You know, DontSitOnTheHood, may be right. I think our offense lacks someone who could take the top off of defenses. Randy Moss actually fit the bill when he was here. If he had stayed, with a healthy Crabtree and Boldin, could have been special. That said, I like Cooks. But, I could see someone like Martavious Bryant being able to take the top off of defenses if he is able to show some success early on. He.may be a sleeper.
[ Edited by 60sFan on Feb 24, 2014 at 7:09 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Morris, Darryl 5-10 188
Brock, Tramaine 5-10 197
Brown, Tarell 5-10 193
Wright, Eric 5-10 200
Moody, Nick 6-1 236
Hampton, Jewel 5-9 210
Hunter, Kendall 5-7 199
James, LaMichael 5-9 195
Patton, Quinton 6-0 204
Reed, David 6-0 190
Wylie, Devon 5-9 187
Patton, Quinton 6-0 204
Jacobs, Chuck 6-0 178
Ventrone, Bubba 5-10 200
Whitner, Donte 5-10 208

I am sure there are many better words to use when we describe what the 49ers like in players.

Dedicated, hard working, smart, tough, disciplined, even physical, but I would not include the word big.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by 5280High:
I love that Mathews is losing a bit of hype, getting him in the 1st would without moving up would be a steal.

Is he losing hype from bad performance in drills or do you mean that others are simply shooting up boards because of their work outs?

I'm stuck in class all day so I am missing all of the drills today.

Sorry for not getting back earlier, I mean because other players are making an impact. Cooks for example just rocketed up some boards from a second rounder to the 1st possibly.

@Birdie, as of right now my 1st round WR draft order is Watkins, Evans, Cooks,and then Lee (if he has an impressive pro day) with Mathews going in the 28-40 range of picks. Im no expert but thats how I see the WR class laying out as of right now.
[ Edited by 5280High on Feb 25, 2014 at 6:31 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Morris, Darryl 5-10 188
Brock, Tramaine 5-10 197
Brown, Tarell 5-10 193
Wright, Eric 5-10 200
Moody, Nick 6-1 236
Hampton, Jewel 5-9 210
Hunter, Kendall 5-7 199
James, LaMichael 5-9 195
Patton, Quinton 6-0 204
Reed, David 6-0 190
Wylie, Devon 5-9 187
Patton, Quinton 6-0 204
Jacobs, Chuck 6-0 178
Ventrone, Bubba 5-10 200
Whitner, Donte 5-10 208

I am sure there are many better words to use when we describe what the 49ers like in players.

Dedicated, hard working, smart, tough, disciplined, even physical, but I would not include the word big.

With McDrunk the focus was on big and physical. With Baalke all he has said is that he subscribes to that philosophy but also stated if a player can play he can play regardless of size. (it was an article during the infamous Sing & Baalke draft). Baalke seems to hold his Golden Helmet stickers above all else when considering players to draft.
Share 49ersWebzone