LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 224 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

This draft is wide receiver heavy. There should be good options through at least the first two rounds, so there's no excuse for us not getting a good one, or two, for that matter. What we do with them is another argument altogether.
Trade up in the draft and get Mike Evans. Red Zone problem solved.
Originally posted by sfout:
A bit of info regarding everyones' obsession with the first round WRs. The Steelers beat writers have all but said the Steelers are taking Evans or Benjamin with 15. The writer for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazzette went so far as to say that they've had discussions with Roethlisberger about taking a big bodied WR early. An obvious effort to finally fulfill his request of bringing in someone big.

Matthews and Robinson could be possibilities as well as they are 6'3 220 but it is safe to say that the Steelers will be taking one of those 4 to replace Sanders.

I read that last week, yep. Ben pleaded with them to get him a big receiver. The midgets (Brown, Sanders, Wheaton) made the Steelers completely one-dimensional at times and gave them a total lack of diversity on offense. Ben is absolutely right when he asks for a bigger threat. That will give him a jump-ball target and more balance in the passing game. Anyone 6-2 or taller in the first two rounds is fair game for Pitt in my opinion.
I actually like Benjamin better than Evans. Benjamin is a lot stronger than I thought. He drops some passes, but so does Evans.
Odell Beckham LSU Tigers
With the combine numbers in, as usual there are some surprises and disappointments. Some of the times are not really indicative of the players' field speed, but you'd have to have watched them to know. Not a whole lot has changed as far as my favorites.

Players I could see the 49ers MOST STRONGLY consider as options:

1. Donte Moncrief-Mississippi, 6-2 221 4.40
2. Martavis Bryant-Clemson, 6-4 211 4.42
3. Jordan Matthews-Vanderbilt, 6-3 212 4.46
4. Robert Herron-Wyoming, 5-9 193 4.48
5. Bruce Ellington-South Carolina, 5-9 197 4.45
6. Quincy Enunwa-Nebraska, 6-2 225 4.45

Players who are still possible, but much less likely (with explanation):

1. Brandin Cooks-Oregon State, 5-10 189 4.33 - struggles with beating the jam on press coverage, small/short arm length.
2. Jared Abbrederis-Wisconsin, 6-1 195 4.50 - Lacks ideal size & arm length, may be the weakest WR physically in this class
3. Allen Robinson-Penn State, 6-2 220 4.60 - Should be a good NFL receiver, may lack what we're precisely looking for
4. Jarvis Landry-LSU, 5-11 205 4.77 - Another player I would love to have, but simply won't have the measurables the team wants, in my opinion
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
With the combine numbers in, as usual there are some surprises and disappointments. Some of the times are not really indicative of the players' field speed, but you'd have to have watched them to know. Not a whole lot has changed as far as my favorites.

1. Brandin Cooks-Oregon State, 5-10 189 4.33 - struggles with beating the jam on press coverage, small/short arm length.
2. Jared Abbrederis-Wisconsin, 6-1 195 4.50 - Lacks ideal size & arm length, may be the weakest WR physically in this class
3. Allen Robinson-Penn State, 6-2 220 4.60 - Should be a good NFL receiver, may lack what we're precisely looking for
4. Jarvis Landry-LSU, 5-11 205 4.77 - Another player I would love to have, but simply won't have the measurables the team wants, in my opinion

Great post OTC. I would be overjoyed if the 49ers took Moncrief & Bryant!

Your anti-Beckham bias is showing.
Originally posted by tohara3:

Great post OTC. I would be overjoyed if the 49ers took Moncrief & Bryant!

I was at every Clemson home game this year. Martavis shows flashes every now and then, but I've seen him drop too many balls that were right on the money. Now Sammy on the other hand...
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Your anti-Beckham bias is showing.

Hey! I'm just not sure where to put Beckham so he falls kind of in the middle at 50-50. I see positives and negatives that make me unsure how likely we would be to pull the trigger.

• xcfan
  • Veteran
we gotta get this guy; special athlete who's going to be at home making lots of plays in a year or two.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
there's like 40 receivers in this draft who are good enough to get into games as rookies next season and be players. crazy

Kid could be a better version of Anquan Boldin...why wouldn't we be looking for that?
Originally posted by xcfan:
we gotta get this guy; special athlete who's going to be at home making lots of plays in a year or two.

I approve this message!
Originally posted by genus49:

Kid could be a better version of Anquan Boldin...why wouldn't we be looking for that?

Depends where he's available. This draft is so deep, it should be easy for a guy to fall or climb for any reason between now and May. I never thought this guy would threaten safeties enough to change their allignment, so I haven't considered him in the 1st (which is where he's always been projected to go). If he's sitting there at our late two, and we've already taken care of speed, I'd pounce in a heartbeat. Same for Landry (especially if stupid teams let him fall to our three). Joyner/Moncrief/Robinson would be an insane pull in the 1st two rounds.
Share 49ersWebzone