There are 315 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by buck:
There are too many potential picks at wide receiver. My head just starts spinning.

I am looking forward to the combine receiver drills and speed events.

Specific interests are:

Just how fast are Moncrief, Janis, Robinson, and Matthews.

Is Brandin Cooks both fast and quick?

This is so true! LOL! At this point everyone looks wonderful and I want the 9ers to pick six or seven receivers in the first two rounds...but by the draft some will be sorted out due to character issues, combine news, injury news or other items. Then it will still be a head ache...but a smaller one.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Would rather take Landry and Herron or Abbrederis and Herron, or Moncrief and Herron. Drafting 2 projects at WR doesn't seem like a good way to go.
I'm in

Still will need that infusion of speed. I don't see how we let the 2014 draft pass without at least one real burner back there and I'm hoping for two.

I would be so let down and disappointed if we didn't do a single thing to combat the lack of an elite speed element on our team at the receiver position. I would be happy to have some great receivers added to the team, no doubt, if we added some big 4.50-timed receivers -- sure. But I would be concerned at our lack of effort put towards balance. Our GM has specifically stated we look for an exact target at each pick and if he's not there, we try to move around. We don't employ a true BPA system.

This draft is going to be very exciting due to the immense talent at so many positions. I admit, there are a handful of players that I can mark as players that my eyes would light up with excitement for if I saw their name called for our team on draft day.

Who?

My top two that I would freak out over are Sammy Watkins and Donte Moncrief. I believe we have zero chance at getting Watkins, so I won't get my hopes up there. Moncrief we should have every opportunity to get, though. Here are some others of varying skill sets that I really like:

1. Jarvis Landry, LSU: Tough, not afraid of contact, willing blocker, circus-catch ability, not elite speed, but above average speed.

2. Robert Herron, Wyoming: Great speed, short but a thick build good for absorbing hits, simply knows how to get open one-on-one.

3. Mike Campanaro, Wake Forest: Terrific quickness, solid speed, great open-field moves, gritty player and one of the top slot receivers in the nation, in my opinion.

4. Allen Hurns, Miami: I've been trying to tout him all year. No one talks about him, yet he broke receiving records set by Andre Johnson and Leonard Hankerson, both early picks. Aside from his production in a major conference, he showed a knack for catches passes in traffic and being a big play threat (see YPC average for further evidence) and is also a solid blocker. Hurns is also a high-character prospect who earned the Team MVP award for his sensational performance on the field and his outstanding character and leadership off of it.


So there you have it, those are a few of my favorites I'd LOVE to have on our team. There are plenty others I'd be happy about, but those specific players are the ones I've grown to like the most.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

4. Allen Hurns, Miami: I've been trying to tout him all year. No one talks about him, yet he broke receiving records set by Andre Johnson and Leonard Hankerson, both early picks. Aside from his production in a major conference, he showed a knack for catches passes in traffic and being a big play threat (see YPC average for further evidence) and is also a solid blocker. Hurns is also a high-character prospect who earned the Team MVP award for his sensational performance on the field and his outstanding character and leadership off of it.


So there you have it, those are a few of my favorites I'd LOVE to have on our team. There are plenty others I'd be happy about, but those specific players are the ones I've grown to like the most.

I aint heard much about on here but u talked him up really good so I looked him N his statz up ... 121 catchz 1891 yardz 14TDz in 4 yearz now Im wondering what recordz he broke with them numberz ???
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:


would NOT be mad at all
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

4. Allen Hurns, Miami: I've been trying to tout him all year. No one talks about him, yet he broke receiving records set by Andre Johnson and Leonard Hankerson, both early picks. Aside from his production in a major conference, he showed a knack for catches passes in traffic and being a big play threat (see YPC average for further evidence) and is also a solid blocker. Hurns is also a high-character prospect who earned the Team MVP award for his sensational performance on the field and his outstanding character and leadership off of it.


So there you have it, those are a few of my favorites I'd LOVE to have on our team. There are plenty others I'd be happy about, but those specific players are the ones I've grown to like the most.

I aint heard much about on here but u talked him up really good so I looked him N his statz up ... 121 catchz 1891 yardz 14TDz in 4 yearz now Im wondering what recordz he broke with them numberz ???

Single-season receiving record. And I think "single-season" is the key phrase that might concern some teams. He has all the tools, but it's a question of whether scouts think he is a one-year wonder or not. Based on what I saw the year prior to this year, the skills have been there all along, and so has the work ethic, shown by his dramatic improvement.

Now, am I saying Hurns should be a high pick? No. Production never tells the whole story. There's so much else they take into consideration. Overall, I give Hurns a 5th round grade right now, pre-Combine. I think he will just need a little time to adjust to the NFL, but with a team that is willing to give him that shot, I like his chances.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

4. Allen Hurns, Miami: I've been trying to tout him all year. No one talks about him, yet he broke receiving records set by Andre Johnson and Leonard Hankerson, both early picks. Aside from his production in a major conference, he showed a knack for catches passes in traffic and being a big play threat (see YPC average for further evidence) and is also a solid blocker. Hurns is also a high-character prospect who earned the Team MVP award for his sensational performance on the field and his outstanding character and leadership off of it.


So there you have it, those are a few of my favorites I'd LOVE to have on our team. There are plenty others I'd be happy about, but those specific players are the ones I've grown to like the most.

I aint heard much about on here but u talked him up really good so I looked him N his statz up ... 121 catchz 1891 yardz 14TDz in 4 yearz now Im wondering what recordz he broke with them numberz ???

Single-season receiving record. And I think "single-season" is the key phrase that might concern some teams. He has all the tools, but it's a question of whether scouts think he is a one-year wonder or not. Based on what I saw the year prior to this year, the skills have been there all along, and so has the work ethic, shown by his dramatic improvement.

Now, am I saying Hurns should be a high pick? No. Production never tells the whole story. There's so much else they take into consideration. Overall, I give Hurns a 5th round grade right now, pre-Combine. I think he will just need a little time to adjust to the NFL, but with a team that is willing to give him that shot, I like his chances.

No love for Beckham, Benjamin or even Robinson?
[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 13, 2014 at 1:16 PM ]
Must admit looking at Benjamin, you can't help but fall in love with the size. Not sure that he has the speed to go along with that. If not, he must learn to be a good route runner to compensate for that in the NFL. Because size alone will get you no where in the NFL.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Is this real life? Do you really want to go down this road? The reality is that they felt they had more crucial needs in other areas, simple as that. You can say that every team "passes" players up. Bottomline, my point still stands, once they've got somewhat of a track record, meaning more then a bunch of late rounders, then we can start to make a declaration on their ability to "draft wide receivers", anything in the interim is misguided.



By the same guidelines people are trying to use, EVERY team sucks at drafting wide receivers. Who did the Bears draft before they took Jeffery? They had years of futile misfires when it came to wide receivers. Baltimore? A ton of crap before Torrey Smith. WR is one of the riskier positions to draft period and its impossible to ascertain exactly how well a particular GM/scouting department does with WR's after such a limited track record.

Look at the 49ers in the 90's, one big hit on Owens, along with a bunch of crap and a bust in Stokes(for what the 49ers gave up for him).


Give Baalke 2 to 3 more years and then you'll have a far clearer picture.



Many prognosticators had us picking WR the last few years



Many prognosticators also had the 49ers picking Blaine Gabbert, how did that work out? Bottomline, I trust Baalke far more than I do the "prognosticators", that is why he's an NFL GM and they are posting articles online.

I dunno what Baalke is going to do but hopefully whatever happens we get a good draft grade from Mel Kiper. That's where championships are really won!
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Is this real life? Do you really want to go down this road? The reality is that they felt they had more crucial needs in other areas, simple as that. You can say that every team "passes" players up. Bottomline, my point still stands, once they've got somewhat of a track record, meaning more then a bunch of late rounders, then we can start to make a declaration on their ability to "draft wide receivers", anything in the interim is misguided.



By the same guidelines people are trying to use, EVERY team sucks at drafting wide receivers. Who did the Bears draft before they took Jeffery? They had years of futile misfires when it came to wide receivers. Baltimore? A ton of crap before Torrey Smith. WR is one of the riskier positions to draft period and its impossible to ascertain exactly how well a particular GM/scouting department does with WR's after such a limited track record.

Look at the 49ers in the 90's, one big hit on Owens, along with a bunch of crap and a bust in Stokes(for what the 49ers gave up for him).


Give Baalke 2 to 3 more years and then you'll have a far clearer picture.



Many prognosticators had us picking WR the last few years



Many prognosticators also had the 49ers picking Blaine Gabbert, how did that work out? Bottomline, I trust Baalke far more than I do the "prognosticators", that is why he's an NFL GM and they are posting articles online.

I dunno what Baalke is going to do but hopefully whatever happens we get a good draft grade from Mel Kiper. That's where championships are really won!

Btw, I thought Gabbert would be a really good QB. Shows you what I know.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Btw, I thought Gabbert would be a really good QB. Shows you what I know.

To be fair any potential he had to be good gets severely reduced just by going to that team right now.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Btw, I thought Gabbert would be a really good QB. Shows you what I know.

To be fair any potential he had to be good gets severely reduced just by going to that team right now.

True, though Bradley's probably going to turn that thing around pretty soon. Too bad Gabbert won't be around to see it tho..