LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Would rather take Landry and Herron or Abbrederis and Herron, or Moncrief and Herron. Drafting 2 projects at WR doesn't seem like a good way to go.
I'm in

Still will need that infusion of speed. I don't see how we let the 2014 draft pass without at least one real burner back there and I'm hoping for two.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Trade our first pick, a later round pick and Ian Williams for C.Patterson, Minn
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Based on what I've seen, I believe Landry can succeed in the NFL wherever a team puts him. As far as Herron, it's too early to pinpoint an exact spot since the combine and pro days haven't happened, and boards will shuffle after those points. But right now, like I said, it's looking like late 2nd - 3rd round.

Much appreciated
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Would rather take Landry and Herron or Abbrederis and Herron, or Moncrief and Herron. Drafting 2 projects at WR doesn't seem like a good way to go.
I'm in

Still will need that infusion of speed. I don't see how we let the 2014 draft pass without at least one real burner back there and I'm hoping for two.

I would be so let down and disappointed if we didn't do a single thing to combat the lack of an elite speed element on our team at the receiver position. I would be happy to have some great receivers added to the team, no doubt, if we added some big 4.50-timed receivers -- sure. But I would be concerned at our lack of effort put towards balance. Our GM has specifically stated we look for an exact target at each pick and if he's not there, we try to move around. We don't employ a true BPA system.

This draft is going to be very exciting due to the immense talent at so many positions. I admit, there are a handful of players that I can mark as players that my eyes would light up with excitement for if I saw their name called for our team on draft day.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm in

I would be so let down and disappointed if we didn't do a single thing to combat the lack of an elite speed element on our team at the receiver position. I would be happy to have some great receivers added to the team, no doubt, if we added some big 4.50-timed receivers -- sure. But I would be concerned at our lack of effort put towards balance. Our GM has specifically stated we look for an exact target at each pick and if he's not there, we try to move around. We don't employ a true BPA system.

This draft is going to be very exciting due to the immense talent at so many positions. I admit, there are a handful of players that I can mark as players that my eyes would light up with excitement for if I saw their name called for our team on draft day.

Who?
Originally posted by Butter:
I'm starting to lean towards M.Bryant and Herron. The Niners could really use speed to compliment their possession receivers. Bryant could provide the deep thread on the outside, and Herron could provide the slot speed.

Understood, but in reality, it's going to be tough for any rookie WR to get real PT in year one. I love Kap, but he doesn't get to his third or fourth read very often. He's usually locking into Crab or Boldin, or deep to VD.

Last year there was a glut of tall fast WR who could stretch the field.

Last year the Niners traded away picks that ended up being Justin Hunter and Terrance Williams. I really liked Williams, and he had a good string of games.

I like Moncrief. He's a good blocker, he's got good size, and he made some big plays. But I'd personally like to see a tall/fast WR who can stretch the field on the outside.
[ Edited by Butter on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:28 PM ]

Agreed. For this offense to get to the next level, we need to be able to attack every inch of the field. Can't do much if opposing defenses know we can't attack the deep sidelines. We need to make opposing defenses adjust to us, not the other way around.
Originally posted by Butter:
Understood, but in reality, it's going to be tough for any rookie WR to get real PT in year one. I love Kap, but he doesn't get to his third or fourth read very often. He's usually locking into Crab or Boldin, or deep to VD.

Last year there was a glut of tall fast WR who could stretch the field.

Last year the Niners traded away picks that ended up being Justin Hunter and Terrance Williams. I really liked Williams, and he had a good string of games.

I like Moncrief. He's a good blocker, he's got good size, and he made some big plays. But I'd personally like to see a tall/fast WR who can stretch the field on the outside.

I love Moncrief too and actually think his speed is under-rated because he's so big. But looking at his games, he outruns defenders more often than not. He seems pretty fast for his size.
I want a draft combination of Martavias Bryant & Donte Moncrief for the 49ers.
The 6th rounder Ronald Johnson? Go back to the 2011 draft, look at the 6th round, how many of those guys are still in the NFL today? Johnson was done as a favor to John Morton who coached him at USC, Harbaugh wanted Baldwin, but didn't want to rock the boat so they took Johnson instead.

The hand-wringing over the WR situation is kind of amusing. The 49ers under Baalke don't really have any track record when it comes to WR's to make a proclamation that they can or cannot draft WR's. You want to see a guy who can't draft WR's, go look at Ozzie Newsome, only 1 of the last 10 he's drafted have been worthwhile in the NFL. Its impossible to make a definitive statement right now with 2 throwaway 6th rounders, one late 4th rounder who looks very promising and a whiff on Jenkins.

If they take a guy in the 2nd round and he busts, then there's more of a track record supporting your conclusion, but for all we know right now, they might be freaking geniuses when it comes to selecting talented WR's, perhaps Patton is just a sign of things to come. In a few years, Jenkins could simply look like a mere hiccup in a record of overall excellence.

Not having much of a track record picking WRs, when we desperately need WRs, pretty much says we can't draft WRs...

Its not so much who we pick, but who we pass up. Many prognosticators had us picking WR the last few years, tying our needs to names such as Reuben Randle, Alshon Jeffrey, and others. We had both TY Hilton and Justin Hunter in our laps but traded back both times. Then, when we finally pick a high WR, a need for some time now, we go outside the box and pick Stankin Jenkins, who at 175 pounds can't get off the line of scrimmage against my grandma

It has been said that Baalke takes in much more input from Harbaugh on offensive players than defensive players. Maybe Harbaugh can't draft WR

Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Not having much of a track record picking WRs, when we desperately need WRs, pretty much says we can't draft WRs...

Its not so much who we pick, but who we pass up. , tying our needs to names such as Reuben Randle, Alshon Jeffrey, and others. We had both TY Hilton and Justin Hunter in our laps but traded back both times. Then, when we finally pick a high WR, a need for some time now, we go outside the box and pick Stankin Jenkins, who at 175 pounds can't get off the line of scrimmage against my grandma

It has been said that Baalke takes in much more input from Harbaugh on offensive players than defensive players. Maybe Harbaugh can't draft WR

Is this real life? Do you really want to go down this road? The reality is that they felt they had more crucial needs in other areas, simple as that. You can say that every team "passes" players up. Bottomline, my point still stands, once they've got somewhat of a track record, meaning more then a bunch of late rounders, then we can start to make a declaration on their ability to "draft wide receivers", anything in the interim is misguided.

By the same guidelines people are trying to use, EVERY team sucks at drafting wide receivers. Who did the Bears draft before they took Jeffery? They had years of futile misfires when it came to wide receivers. Baltimore? A ton of crap before Torrey Smith. WR is one of the riskier positions to draft period and its impossible to ascertain exactly how well a particular GM/scouting department does with WR's after such a limited track record.

Look at the 49ers in the 90's, one big hit on Owens, along with a bunch of crap and a bust in Stokes(for what the 49ers gave up for him).

Give Baalke 2 to 3 more years and then you'll have a far clearer picture.

Many prognosticators had us picking WR the last few years

Many prognosticators also had the 49ers picking Blaine Gabbert, how did that work out? Bottomline, I trust Baalke far more than I do the "prognosticators", that is why he's an NFL GM and they are posting articles online.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:27 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
There are too many potential picks at wide receiver. My head just starts spinning.

I am looking forward to the combine receiver drills and speed events.

Specific interests are:

Just how fast are Moncrief, Janis, Robinson, and Matthews.

Is Brandin Cooks both fast and quick?
There's one type of wr that we desperately need out of this draft... an explosive, speedy, and quick wr with ability to seperate and get YAC. This is the type of wr we have not had in years and the type of wr that is revolutionizing the game.

The only players I see with the realistic potential to fill this need and be a potential number 1 wr are:

1- Sammy Watkins
2- Marqise Lee
3- Brandin Cooks

Watkins is great but not realistc and I want Lee if we can land him in a trade up with a 1st and 3rd, but if we are unable I would gladly take Cooks with our 1st as a consolation prize. Name me one wr with his speed, quickness, ability to seperate, ablity to make contested catches, and eye-popping production that has not succeeded as an NFL wr. If you watch his tape you will see he is the most dynamic player on the field every game and what really separates him from every burner wr is that he out muscles db's for balls, makes highlight reel catches, and is not afraid to mix it up as a blocker. The fact that he adds value as an elite returner is yet another plus. If I were a scout and picking between the third tier of wr's after Watkins, Lee and Evans I would stake my career on Cooks.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Jenkins is a good WR, but he cant get off the line of scrimmage in the NFL

I think the two most important attributes that no one pays attention to, and you wont see at the combine may be the ability to get off the line and the ability to comeback route to the the QB and get open when he's in trouble

Landry excels at both, dont be surpised if hes the first LSU WR drafted
[ Edited by cools on Feb 11, 2014 at 8:23 PM ]
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
There's one type of wr that we desperately need out of this draft... an explosive, speedy, and quick wr with ability to seperate and get YAC. This is the type of wr we have not had in years and the type of wr that is revolutionizing the game.

The only players I see with the realistic potential to fill this need and be a potential number 1 wr are:

1- Sammy Watkins
2- Marqise Lee
3- Brandin Cooks

Watkins is great but not realistc and I want Lee if we can land him in a trade up with a 1st and 3rd, but if we are unable I would gladly take Cooks with our 1st as a consolation prize. Name me one wr with his speed, quickness, ability to seperate, ablity to make contested catches, and eye-popping production that has not succeeded as an NFL wr. If you watch his tape you will see he is the most dynamic player on the field every game and what really separates him from every burner wr is that he out muscles db's for balls, makes highlight reel catches, and is not afraid to mix it up as a blocker. The fact that he adds value as an elite returner is yet another plus. If I were a scout and picking between the third tier of wr's after Watkins, Lee and Evans I would stake my career on Cooks.

I like Cooks too, his skills are plus and he's coachable. my only concern is his size and ability to get away from the press cover 3 defense that Seattle runs. What are your feelings towards Allen Robinson, Devante Adams, and Kelvin Benjamin?
Share 49ersWebzone