There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
OTC, any thoughts on Reese?

TBD. I watched some of him early in the year, but I've slept since then. Still in process of reviewing prospects and at the moment I haven't gotten to him yet. I'll get back to you soon on this one.

Thanks, man. I appreciate the honesty. Most people would just make something up.

Hey, no problem. I just want to give you the most accurate take I can, from what I'm seeing.

After looking through about an hour worth of footage on Reese, I would tab him as a 7th round grade at best, I wouldn't touch him until the 7th. I remembered now why I wasn't all that enthralled by him early in the year when I was tracking these receiver prospects. After review today, this is what I took away from it:

Positives:
- His pure speed is obvious, and his get-off from the line is good.
- Showed good quickness off the LOS in most cases.

Negatives:
- Inconsistent hands, concentration lapses. Simply does not have strong hands (not just catching, but ball-security concerns me)
- While quick off the line, I did not often see his quickness displayed with open field moves. He seemed to just try to run around people.
- Does not often win the battle for the catch in situations where he has to fight the defender for it.
- Of the routes he ran, he seemed OK, but I think he could improve here.
- Durability concerns (was injured late this year) at his size
- Very rarely did he ever have to beat press coverage
- Not a good blocker
- Not strong on his feet at all. While fast, he seems to lose his balance really easily when contacted. This brings forth concerns that stretch beyond just his RAC ability. When playing NFL press corners, will he be able to stay off the ground?

Overall, I see a tremendous athlete, but just an OK football player who was helped out a lot by the Baylor system.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 10, 2014 at 4:50 PM ]
Anyone have any thoughtz on B.Cooks N J.Huff ???? Both are small N fast im thinkin Huff would be a great pick if he'z there at tha end of tha 3rd round ...

TBD. I watched some of him early in the year, but I've slept since then. Still in process of reviewing prospects and at the moment I haven't gotten to him yet. I'll get back to you soon on this one.

Thanks, man. I appreciate the honesty. Most people would just make something up.

Hey, no problem. I just want to give you the most accurate take I can, from what I'm seeing.

After looking through about an hour worth of footage on Reese, I would tab him as a 7th round grade at best, I wouldn't touch him until the 7th. I remembered now why I wasn't all that enthralled by him early in the year when I was tracking these receiver prospects. After review today, this is what I took away from it:

Positives:

Negatives:
- Inconsistent hands, concentration lapses. Simply does not have strong hands (not just catching, but ball-security concerns me)
- While quick off the line, I did not often see his quickness displayed with open field moves. He seemed to just try to run around people.
- Does not often win the battle for the catch in situations where he has to fight the defender for it.
- Not a good blocker
- Not strong on his feet at all. While fast, he seems to lose his balance really easily when contacted. This brings forth concerns that stretch beyond just his RAC ability. When playing NFL press corners, will he be able to stay off the ground?

Overall, I see a tremendous athlete, but just an OK football player who was helped out a lot by the Baylor system.

Well, damn. Thanks for the insight. I definitely see the hands issues and lazy blocking (or determined avoidance of blocking). I really wanted a speed guy to get excited about. I just don't see real speed when I watch Lee, Beckham, and Cooks. I'm tired of teams daring us to throw deep, and us having to depend on a double move to get a guy open deep.

edit: though, if you have to be a one-trick-pony, that's not a bad trick to have...
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Feb 10, 2014 at 5:47 PM ]

Positives:

Negatives:
- Not a good blocker

This is pretty much on the money. I may be in the minority, but I want us to draft 3 receivers this year. I'm not sure how that will work out with us already having 4 receivers going into next year (Im assuming we resign Boldin and Osgood), however, we have 12 or 13 picks, and the 7th round is the perfect place where you take a pure speed guy like Tevin Reese. In one of the mocks on here, I had him in the 7th along with Robert Herron in the 3rd. We need guys that can take advantage of Kaep's arm and it really allows us to change what this offense can do by having guys like Odell Beckham, Herron, or Reese (I only want one of the first two to pair with Reese). Pair that with a receiver like Landry and we are pretty set and prepared for Boldin's eventual departure as well as Crabtree potentially walking.
Well, damn. Thanks for the insight. I definitely see the hands issues and lazy blocking (or determined avoidance of blocking). I really wanted a speed guy to get excited about. I just don't see real speed when I watch Lee, Beckham, and Cooks. I'm tired of teams daring us to throw deep, and us having to depend on a double move to get a guy open deep.

edit: though, if you have to be a one-trick-pony, that's not a bad trick to have...

Would rather have Robert Herron, not as fast as Reese but still pretty blazing fast, better route runner, better quickness/lateral movement, somewhat more dependable hands.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The 6th rounder Ronald Johnson? Go back to the 2011 draft, look at the 6th round, how many of those guys are still in the NFL today? Johnson was done as a favor to John Morton who coached him at USC, Harbaugh wanted Baldwin, but didn't want to rock the boat so they took Johnson instead.

The hand-wringing over the WR situation is kind of amusing. The 49ers under Baalke don't really have any track record when it comes to WR's to make a proclamation that they can or cannot draft WR's. You want to see a guy who can't draft WR's, go look at Ozzie Newsome, only 1 of the last 10 he's drafted have been worthwhile in the NFL. Its impossible to make a definitive statement right now with 2 throwaway 6th rounders, one late 4th rounder who looks very promising and a whiff on Jenkins.

If they take a guy in the 2nd round and he busts, then there's more of a track record supporting your conclusion, but for all we know right now, they might be freaking geniuses when it comes to selecting talented WR's, perhaps Patton is just a sign of things to come. In a few years, Jenkins could simply look like a mere hiccup in a record of overall excellence.

I really hope you are right, yeah we lack evidence of baalkes incompetents with drafting receivers, but the small sample isn't encouraging. Hopefully Patton paves the way of our success with receivers in the draft and it looks to be a strong class this year

Also i'm starting to think Morton might be our problem when it comes to receiver production. I wasn't ecstatic when we hired him cause I can't name a receiver from USC that produced in the NFL yet besides Woods.

Would rather have Robert Herron, not as fast as Reese but still pretty blazing fast, better route runner, better quickness/lateral movement, somewhat more dependable hands.

Herron really impressed at the Senior Bowl practices because he reportedly just showed a knack for being able to get open one on one. That's a big-time plus if you're taking a receiver and you see he has that tool to work with. I knew Herron did fairly well at a lesser program in Wyoming, and wanted to see how he performed at the Senior Bowl against the big kids. He did well. He's short but not small. 5-9 193, he's got a compact build and has better speed than most in this draft. It's true he may not be as Reese, but he's one of the fastest in the draft and his other skills make him very likely to go by the 2nd or 3rd round. I doubt he lasts past the third.

I'm completely with you on Beckham and the others. I do not see "ridiculous" speed with any of them either.
Herron really impressed at the Senior Bowl practices because he reportedly just showed a knack for being able to get open one on one. That's a big-time plus if you're taking a receiver and you see he has that tool to work with. I knew Herron did fairly well at a lesser program in Wyoming, and wanted to see how he performed at the Senior Bowl against the big kids. He did well. He's short but not small. 5-9 193, he's got a compact build and has better speed than most in this draft. It's true he may not be as Reese, but he's one of the fastest in the draft and his other skills make him very likely to go by the 2nd or 3rd round. I doubt he lasts past the third.

I'm completely with you on Beckham and the others. I do not see "ridiculous" speed with any of them either.

OTC, what round do you project him to be selected and which other slot receivers do you like? Do you think Jarvis Landry can excel as a slot receiver or on the outside?
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 10, 2014 at 8:25 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:

OTC, what round do you project him to be selected and which other slot receivers do you like? Do you think Jarvis Landry can excel as a slot receiver or on the outside?

Based on what I've seen, I believe Landry can succeed in the NFL wherever a team puts him. As far as Herron, it's too early to pinpoint an exact spot since the combine and pro days haven't happened, and boards will shuffle after those points. But right now, like I said, it's looking like late 2nd - 3rd round.
I'm partial to five WR's coming into the draft this May. All my choices are tall, most big bodied, and have good ball hawking skills which I feel is missing from some of our best play makers. Naturally the combine will help refine all of our lists and hears mine.

#1: Sammy Watkins- Clemson (6-1 205lbs) No way hes available to 49ers without making a trade that wouldn't benefit team, he's no Megatron.

#2: Mike Evans- Texas A&M (6-5 225lbs) Also gone way before pick #30

#3: Davante Adams- Fresno State (6-2 212lbs) Can't even begin to describe how much I would love to see this guy in red and gold!!

#4: Allen Robinson- Penn State (6-3 210lbs) amazing run after catch and open field vision

#5: Kelvin Benjamin- FSU (6-5 234lbs) physically most gifted but raw skills and tendency to drop passes leaves question marks

Personally I feel the Niners have a good chance at landing numbers 3 or 4, Adams is a Bay Area native playing High school ball for Palo Alto, reminds me a lot of Josh Gordon and Justin Blackmon. He's got tremendous ball hawking skills grabbing 24 TD's last season for Fresno State, 24 TD's is insane!! He'd be a tough match up for any corner, even Richard Sherman, and could make loosing Crabtree or Boldin a little less frightening. Robinson is a great runner with the football in his hands and seems to save his best play for big games. He's got ideal size to match up with big physical corners and amazing field vision and play making skills after the catch. I can't wait to see all 5 receivers performance in the combine and love comments as I'm new to this forum.
[ Edited by SkaeMperKing on Feb 11, 2014 at 12:17 AM ]
I'm starting to lean towards M.Bryant and Herron. The Niners could really use speed to compliment their possession receivers. Bryant could provide the deep thread on the outside, and Herron could provide the slot speed.
Bryant won't provide anything as long as he hasn't learn how to catch a ball on a consistent basis.
The guy is totally unexperienced and, today, more an athlete than a football player.

If you pick Bryant, you have to expect that he won't contribute immediately. I would say, he will need at least a year.
Can we switch De'anthony Thomas to receiver? The guys is super explosive, plus we can give him return duties.
Originally posted by Butter:
I'm starting to lean towards M.Bryant and Herron. The Niners could really use speed to compliment their possession receivers. Bryant could provide the deep thread on the outside, and Herron could provide the slot speed.

Would rather take Landry and Herron or Abbrederis and Herron, or Moncrief and Herron. Drafting 2 projects at WR doesn't seem like a good way to go.
Would rather take Landry and Herron or Abbrederis and Herron, or Moncrief and Herron. Drafting 2 projects at WR doesn't seem like a good way to go.
I'm in