LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by buck:
The times for the 40 are certainly overblown.

On the other hand, I do think the wide receiver drills at the combine are more useful.

Yes, the agility...change of direction drills are my favorite, but unless you are there personally it's really impossible to evaluate them. TV really skews things.

I think that knowing how they played against better cornerbacks would be very useful.

But, I do not know of any site that has those breakdowns.

No, I think scouts who attend games have that info but they don't publicize it anywhere as far as I know.

The general public, which I assume includes us, can not attend the Combine. We can only watch the Combine on T.V.

If T.V. skews the drills, wouldn't also skew the games we watch on T.V.?

We do not have information about how the wide receivers did against better cornerbacks.

How exactly should we evaluate the wide receiver class?
The general public, which I assume includes us, can not attend the Combine. We can only watch the Combine on T.V.

If T.V. skews the drills, wouldn't also skew the games we watch on T.V.?

We do not have information about how the wide receivers did against better cornerbacks.

How exactly should we evaluate the wide receiver class?

Yes, it irritates me that TV hasn't advanced more for game coverage! I would like to view games from numerous angles, including from above and another from behind the QB. They show those angles at times so I know they are available, but we don't have the editor's controls on our sets!

I really take our evaluations efforts with a grain of salt. Some get into it and read every story and watch as much video as possible but they still can't know what scouts know about these guys...not that they are perfect. If I were in charge of a draft I'd want to interview, or have a trusted scout interview, parents, former coaches and others to see what the player's character is made of.

Remember, some of these coaches and scouts have been watching these guys since they were in junior high. We can't possibly catch up. But if guys want to get into it and argue it's all good...and sometimes fun!
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
What's up with Brandon Coleman? How come he wasn't very productive. He's a big and fast guy. Sloppy route runner? Bad hands? Might be worth a late round flier
He's big, not fast, and couldn't get any separation.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
What's up with Brandon Coleman? How come he wasn't very productive. He's a big and fast guy. Sloppy route runner? Bad hands? Might be worth a late round flier

Looks pretty fast in his highlights and supposedly ran a 4.4 . Maybe he's slow in and out of his breaks and that's why he couldn't get separation?
I haven't seen too much about Tevin Reese out of Baylor. Baylor seems to be the new breeding ground for wideouts. Anyone have more insight on this guy?

Just read a few things. 5'10" 170 pounds. One of the fastest players in colloege football. Led the Big 12 in plays over 40 yards and has a 45" vertical. He is small and will be concerning but he is extremely athletic and explosive.
[ Edited by birdie2bogey on Feb 8, 2014 at 9:18 AM ]
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
I haven't seen too much about Tevin Reese out of Baylor. Baylor seems to be the new breeding ground for wideouts. Anyone have more insight on this guy?

Just read a few things. 5'10" 170 pounds. One of the fastest players in colloege football. Led the Big 12 in plays over 40 yards and has a 45" vertical. He is small and will be concerning but he is extremely athletic and explosive.

Great speed, bad hands pretty much about sums it up. Comparable to TY Hilton with worse hands and less quickness.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 8, 2014 at 9:38 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Great speed, bad hands pretty much about sums it up. Comparable to TY Hilton with worse hands and less quickness.

Pretty much nailed it. His teammate, Antwan Goodley, is a guy to keep an eye on next year.

Damn WTF this dude runs a 4.31, 45.5 inch vertical, and a 11 foot 5 inch broad jump. Talk about explosion. And he put up solid numbers.
Damn WTF this dude runs a 4.31, 45.5 inch vertical, and a 11 foot 5 inch broad jump. Talk about explosion. And he put up solid numbers.

measurables like that are always worth taking a risk on in the later rounds.
Originally posted by MikeRumph:

Yeah I definitely wouldn't mind using a later pick on the guy. We need explosive playmakers. Maybe he could develop into something. And just watching his highlights you can definitely tell he has some issues with his hands. Saw a few bobbled catches.

Originally posted by MikeRumph:

Yeah I definitely wouldn't mind using a later pick on the guy. We need explosive playmakers. Maybe he could develop into something. And just watching his highlights you can definitely tell he has some issues with his hands. Saw a few bobbled catches.

Vernon can coach him up on how to improve hands. Even then just getting him the ball on jet sweeps and stuff could create huge issues for a defense.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Looks pretty fast in his highlights and supposedly ran a 4.4 . Maybe he's slow in and out of his breaks and that's why he couldn't get separation?

No clue where you got the 4.4 from. He's been reportedly timed in the high 4.5 range or even 4.6 -- NFL Draft Scout and CBSSports says he's been timed at 4.59. He played with a terrible QB, he's had injury issues and CBS says his NFL comparison is Jon Baldwin.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Top 15 wide receivers from optimum scouting

1. Sammy Watkins Clemson 6'1 205 1st *
2 Marqise Lee USC 6'0 195 1st *
3 Allen Robinson Penn State 6'3 210 1st *

4 Odell Beckham LSU 6'0 193 2nd *
5 Jarvis Landry LSU 6'1 195 2nd *
6 Brandin Cooks Oregon State 5'10 186 2nd *
7 Mike Evans Texas A&M 6'5 225 2nd *
8 Kelvin Benjamin Florida State 6'6 230 2nd *
9 Davante Adams Fresno State 6'2 216 2nd *
10 Jared Abbrederis Wisconsin 6'2 188 2nd

11 Robert Herron Wyoming 5'9 180 3rd
12 Brandon Coleman Rutgers 6'6 225 3rd *
13 Jordan Matthews Vanderbilt 6'3 206 3rd
14 Bruce Ellington South Carolina 5'9 196 3rd *

15 Josh Huff Oregon 5'11 205 4th

http://www.optimumscouting.com/rankings/static/wide-receiver-rankings.html
  • buck
  • Veteran
This is a list of wide receivers projected to go in the first three rounds.
Taken from draft insiders

1st Sammy Watkins Clemson 3Jr
1st Mike Evans Texas A&M 3So
1st Marqise Lee USC 3Jr

1-2 Allen Robinson Penn State 3Jr
1-2 Brandin Cooks Oregon State 3Jr

2nd Kelvin Benjamin Florida State 3So
2nd Odell Beckham Jr. LSU 3Jr

2-3 Jordan Matthews Vanderbilt 4Sr
2-3 Paul Richardson Colorado 4Jr
2-3 Jarvis Landry LSU 3Jr

3rd Donte Moncrief Mississippi 3Jr