There are 451 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
After reviewing hours of some of the top prospects again, I've reshuffled my WR board. New top 10 before the combine:

1. Sammy Watkins
2. Donte Moncrief
3. Kelvin Benjamin
4. Marqise Lee
5. Allen Robinson
6. Jarvis Landry
7. Mike Evans
8. Brandin Cooks
9. Martavis Bryant
10. Odell Beckham

Uummm really no J.Matthews ??? How N why ???? K.Benjamin N M.Bryant have no where near tha numberz Matthews put up, Matthews put up awesome numberz being tha only WR threat at Vanderbilt....
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Uummm really no J.Matthews ??? How N why ???? K.Benjamin N M.Bryant have no where near tha numberz Matthews put up, Matthews put up awesome numberz being tha only WR threat at Vanderbilt....

Yeah, there is no way Bryant should be ahead of beckham and Matthews
  • sfout
  • Veteran
After reviewing hours of some of the top prospects again, I've reshuffled my WR board. New top 10 before the combine:

1. Sammy Watkins
2. Donte Moncrief
3. Kelvin Benjamin
4. Marqise Lee
5. Allen Robinson
6. Jarvis Landry
7. Mike Evans
8. Brandin Cooks
9. Martavis Bryant
10. Odell Beckham

First, please use regular letters. I have no idea why you or BuzzB do this with the Zs and Ns.

To give you credit, Matthews could have arguably been better because he played his entire collegiate career with weak armed QBs, had he had a real QB he may have been utterly dominant.....However Matthews has always been Vanderbilt's one and only aerial threat, put him on any other SEC team and his #s plummet even if he is still the #1 for this hypothetical team.

Benjamin showed immense progress in 3 years, one being a redshirt, he's also put those #s up as a true committee WR, every WR was a threat for the 'Noles not just him.

Bryant is the case of having every physical tool an NFL team wants size, speed, ability, etc. Only 1 problem he played behind DeAndre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins for 3 years. The fact that he finally had a chance to just be the #2 guy and he lit it up against quality competition only reinforces his stance as a riser on draft boards.

Every player has their flaws but agree with OTCs list right now. Matthews has the ceiling of being a very elite player but I'm worried about his agility against NFL speed players so I don't have a problem not seeing him in the top 10 right now, especially with those players ahead of him.

Originally posted by jordanroberts88:

See above for my reasoning on Matthews, Bryant has the physical tools that Beckham doesn't which that alone puts him above Beckham. They bring totally different skill sets to the tables but right now there is no way of telling how Beckham's speed or quickness will translate to the NFL, his biggest attribute of beating defenders with a quick step and initial move may not work on most DBs at the next level. Which is why I'm happy to see OTC have his teammate Landry ranked several spots ahead of him. Landry is no speedster, may even be the same speed as Beckham but who knows, but he is savvy, has Crabtree-esque hands and is much more physical than Beckham.

Beckham's biggest value in the early stages of his career will be on special teams as a returner.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 3, 2014 at 11:07 PM ]
Originally posted by jimrat:
I would be if we got Davante Adams and Bradin Cooks and have Cooks as our slot WR/KR-PR

I would love that s**t, but doubt we go 2 wr's early. Crabtree/Cooks/Adams/Patton. f**k yes please.
Originally posted by sfout:

1. Sammy Watkins
2. Donte Moncrief
3. Kelvin Benjamin
4. Marqise Lee
5. Allen Robinson
6. Jarvis Landry
7. Mike Evans
8. Brandin Cooks
9. Martavis Bryant
10. Odell Beckham

First, please use regular letters. I have no idea why you or BuzzB do this with the Zs and Ns.

To give you credit, Matthews could have arguably been better because he played his entire collegiate career with weak armed QBs, had he had a real QB he may have been utterly dominant.....However Matthews has always been Vanderbilt's one and only aerial threat, put him on any other SEC team and his #s plummet even if he is still the #1 for this hypothetical team.

Benjamin showed immense progress in 3 years, one being a redshirt, he's also put those #s up as a true committee WR, every WR was a threat for the 'Noles not just him.

Yea I guess 84 catchez 1506 yardz 19 TDz over 2 yrz(looked up his statz he only had 2 yrz not 3) is way better then 262 catchez 3759 yards 24 TDz over 4yrz. ...N as far as my use of Z's & N's just my way of being different N havin my own style kinda shockin how many of yall have a problem with it really itz kinda funny to me ...
I want to try to move up to get lee! Anyway possible the Adams later. Also trade a SS in the second
I want to try to move up to get lee! Anyway possible the Adams later. Also trade a SS in the second
I've been watching some clips on Allen Robinson, Donte Moncrief, and Cody Latimer. All seem to have pretty good speed especially given their size(6-2/6-3). None of them would probably be considered burners, but they are probably fast enough to be down the field threats.

I also wanted to get your guys take on another receiver I like a lot, Magic Mike Davis of Texas . He has good size (6-2), and is fast (he was always running away from guys in the clips I saw. I also think that he has some elusiveness to him. I think he can take advantage of Kaps big arm, he also seems like the type of receiver who would give Seattle's corners some trouble (al la T.Y. Hilton ). He reminds me of Mike Wallace with a more rounded game. What do you guys think? Thanks.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Feb 4, 2014 at 2:00 AM ]
Man the way you guys are talking there is a lot of solid WRs in this draft excited about that because I think we will take a CB/S first round.

1. Sammy Watkins
2. Donte Moncrief
3. Kelvin Benjamin
4. Marqise Lee
5. Allen Robinson
6. Jarvis Landry
7. Mike Evans
8. Brandin Cooks
9. Martavis Bryant
10. Odell Beckham

Yea I guess 84 catchez 1506 yardz 19 TDz over 2 yrz(looked up his statz he only had 2 yrz not 3) is way better then 262 catchez 3759 yards 24 TDz over 4yrz. ...N as far as my use of Z's & N's just my way of being different N havin my own style kinda shockin how many of yall have a problem with it really itz kinda funny to me ...

We just don't want to think that we are talking football with a twelve-year-old girl.

1. Sammy Watkins
2. Donte Moncrief
3. Kelvin Benjamin
4. Marqise Lee
5. Allen Robinson
6. Jarvis Landry
7. Mike Evans
8. Brandin Cooks
9. Martavis Bryant
10. Odell Beckham

Bryant is the case of having every physical tool an NFL team wants size, speed, ability, etc. Only 1 problem he played behind DeAndre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins for 3 years. The fact that he finally had a chance to just be the #2 guy and he lit it up against quality competition only reinforces his stance as a riser on draft boards.

Every player has their flaws but agree with OTCs list right now. Matthews has the ceiling of being a very elite player but I'm worried about his agility against NFL speed players so I don't have a problem not seeing him in the top 10 right now, especially with those players ahead of him.

Originally posted by jordanroberts88:

See above for my reasoning on Matthews, Bryant has the physical tools that Beckham doesn't which that alone puts him above Beckham. They bring totally different skill sets to the tables but right now there is no way of telling how Beckham's speed or quickness will translate to the NFL, his biggest attribute of beating defenders with a quick step and initial move may not work on most DBs at the next level. Which is why I'm happy to see OTC have his teammate Landry ranked several spots ahead of him. Landry is no speedster, may even be the same speed as Beckham but who knows, but he is savvy, has Crabtree-esque hands and is much more physical than Beckham.

Beckham's biggest value in the early stages of his career will be on special teams as a returner.

I appreciate the support. You've listed many of the reasons why I have some of these players higher than other. Major tools + potential + evidence of development are big-time reasons to rate a guy like Bryant a little higher than some might. You CANNOT judge a player on production itself, and production to begin with has to be taken into context as well with consideration for other factors.

I am not a big fan of Beckham. I understand he is a good return man, but I see several issues with him: poor ball-security, inconsistent hands, lack of physicality compared to many of the other wideouts in this class. I see a receiver who flashes every once in a while some ability -- but NFL-caliber ability? I'm really not sure. I see a player who I have concerns would never become a legitimate starter at the pro level and could struggle with consistency if he doesn't develop in several areas.

After Watkins, I think Lee has the next-best open-field moves. Benjamin I feel has the highest upside in this WR class. I personally feel Moncrief is the most underrated prospect in this class right now and to me is one of the most polished receivers after Watkins -- he and Robinson are very close in my opinion. After the top 5, I see issues and limitations with the rest of the bunch, but all have the ability to be good with development.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 4, 2014 at 7:33 AM ]
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

1. Sammy Watkins
2. Donte Moncrief
3. Kelvin Benjamin
4. Marqise Lee
5. Allen Robinson
6. Jarvis Landry
7. Mike Evans
8. Brandin Cooks
9. Martavis Bryant
10. Odell Beckham

We just don't want to think that we are talking football with a twelve-year-old girl.

This. When I see people post and purposely misspell words as bad as above, I normally skip past it.
I appreciate the support. You've listed many of the reasons why I have some of these players higher than other. Major tools + potential + evidence of development are big-time reasons to rate a guy like Bryant a little higher than some might. You CANNOT judge a player on production itself, and production to begin with has to be taken into context as well with consideration for other factors.

I am not a big fan of Beckham. I understand he is a good return man, but I see several issues with him: poor ball-security, inconsistent hands, lack of physicality compared to many of the other wideouts in this class. I see a receiver who flashes every once in a while some ability -- but NFL-caliber ability? I'm really not sure. I see a player who I have concerns would never become a legitimate starter at the pro level and could struggle with consistency if he doesn't develop in several areas.

After Watkins, I think Lee has the next-best open-field moves. Benjamin I feel has the highest upside in this WR class. I personally feel Moncrief is the most underrated prospect in this class right now and to me is one of the most polished receivers after Watkins -- he and Robinson are very close in my opinion. After the top 5, I see issues and limitations with the rest of the bunch, but all have the ability to be good with development.

Moncrief has been one of my favorites for awhile, I expect him to move up the boards after the Combine. He's got the size that a lot of people want, decent speed, great hands, ability to consistently get separation, good agility for his size, plenty of potential if he can develop more as a route runner.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 4, 2014 at 9:32 AM ]
Cooks with second rd. And Moncrief with late third. If we come out with these receivers with those pics this year . I'd be all for it. They know how to find defensive players with the rest
[ Edited by DJamhour on Feb 4, 2014 at 9:41 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Moncrief has been one of my favorites for awhile, I expect him to move up the boards after the Combine. He's got the size that a lot of people want, decent speed, great hands, ability to consistently get separation, good agility for his size, plenty of potential if he can develop more as a route runner.

The more and more I watched the guy over this past year, I could not help but get all wide-eyed with how incredibly impressed I was. I will not be able to contain my excitement if the 49ers somehow land him. After Watkins, he is by far the receiver I most desire for our team. His minor, coachable flaws should hardly knock him down much if he has a terrific combine. As I've said before, I don't care what he times, he is fast. I hope we can see that. He is easily a first round talent on my board at this point.