There are 170 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

I haven't done exhaustive research on this, but in looking back at some of the WRs who have made big plays against the Seahawks secondary this year, there's generally one thing in common...speed.

TY Hilton - From the right slot, Sherman releases Hilton to Chancellor who loses him; Hilton catches it in front of Thomas who over-runs the play; 73 yard TD
TY Hilton - One-on-one against Browner, Hilton ate up the cushion and blew right by him for a 29 yard TD; perfectly placed ball where only TY could reach it
Cecil Shorts - from the slot, faked an inside route, Sherman let him go and he took off up the seam for 59 yard reception (Thomas was late covering)
Jarius Wright - from the slot, Wright right fakes an out right and cuts up-field, running by Sherman (who reaches to grab him, but it's too late) for the TD
Jarius Wright - from the slot, Wright gets behind the LBs and in front of Thomas for a 21 yard score
Tiquan Underwood - from a stack formation on the right, Underwood runs across the field and catches a 20 yard TD (Thomas was late)
Michael Floyd - One-on-one against Maxwell outside, Floyd gets a clean release and Palmer throws a dime over Floyd's shoulder for a game-winning TD

There are other factors of course (like moving Thomas out of position so he can't recover as quickly) and other TDs scored against their defense, but the weakness definitely seems to be speedy WRs who can get by the first defender and make plays with the ball in the air. Something we don't have. Don't get me wrong, we have great big-bodied WRs with excellent hands and toughness, but we have ZERO speed to threaten downfield. Seattle plays us in a phone booth every time because they have nothing to fear downfield with the exception of Vernon.

IMO, we should take a long look at guys like Odell Beckham (reminds me a lot of Hilton, though a little thicker) and Donte Moncrief (much like Floyd); guys who you can move around, get free in the secondary and make big plays downfield.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM ]
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
There are a bunch of players I would be ecstatic if we drafted. Overall, this is the order of the players I like the most in this draft at WR (although this is not where I'd rank them in terms of where they would go in the draft).

1. Sammy Watkins (no chance)
2. Donte Moncrief
3. Kelvin Benjamin
4. Allen Robinson
5. Devante Adams
6. Jarvis Landry
7. Marqise Lee
8. Mike Evans
9. Brandin Cooks
10. Odell Beckham
Beckham only 10th? Due to his inconsistent hands?

Yea Benjamin has arguably the worst hands off the bunch
[ Edited by Harbaalke on Jan 30, 2014 at 4:48 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I haven't done exhaustive research on this, but in looking back at some of the WRs who have made big plays against the Seahawks secondary this year, there's generally one thing in common...speed.

TY Hilton - From the right slot, Sherman releases Hilton to Chancellor who loses him; Hilton catches it in front of Thomas who over-runs the play; 73 yard TD
TY Hilton - One-on-one against Browner, Hilton ate up the cushion and blew right by him for a 29 yard TD; perfectly placed ball where only TY could reach it
Cecil Shorts - from the slot, faked an inside route, Sherman let him go and he took off up the seam for 59 yard reception (Thomas was late covering)
Jarius Wright - from the slot, Wright right fakes an out right and cuts up-field, running by Sherman (who reaches to grab him, but it's too late) for the TD
Jarius Wright - from the slot, Wright gets behind the LBs and in front of Thomas for a 21 yard score
Tiquan Underwood - from a stack formation on the right, Underwood runs across the field and catches a 20 yard TD (Thomas was late)
Michael Floyd - One-on-one against Maxwell outside, Floyd gets a clean release and Palmer throws a dime over Floyd's shoulder for a game-winning TD

There are other factors of course (like moving Thomas out of position so he can't recover as quickly) and other TDs scored against their defense, but the weakness definitely seems to be speedy WRs who can get by the first defender and make plays with the ball in the air. Something we don't have. Don't get me wrong, we have great big-bodied WRs with excellent hands and toughness, but we have ZERO speed to threaten downfield. Seattle plays us in a phone booth every time because they have nothing to fear downfield with the exception of Vernon.

IMO, we should take a long look at guys like Odell Beckham (reminds me a lot of Hilton, though a little thicker) and Donte Moncrief (much like Floyd); guys who you can move around, get free in the secondary and make big plays downfield.
That's what I'm talking about the whole time
Brandin Cooks with 2nd (receptions 128... Yards 1730... Tds 16) - speed we need, could spread the field. Absolute perfect slot. Harvin/T. Austin type.
Donte Moncrief with 3rd/4th (receptions 59... Yards 938... Tds 6) reminds me of Crabtree but with more speed.
And Martavis Bryant with 3rd (receptions 42... Yards 828... Tds 7) receiver who didn't shine much due to being on same team as Watkins. But has height and speed ( athletic)

I think if we groom this set of receivers with Patton, well be set for a while. And if they do well, could just let crab/boldin test out free agency next year. I don't want either of them gone this year but if these rookies get it together with Patton. Then we Should keep cheap nice younger players to have more chances at Super Bowl runs for years to come.

This would be my favorite receiver package to come out with value, speed(slot) and stretch field, possesion type, and redzone threat, deep threat as well.. A lot are going for Matthews in first but he didn't shine much last week, and I feel Moncrief is very similiar in the 3/4th

I wrote this on my phone, might have some typos and what not
YAY another thread about WRz
Shaq Evans!!!!!
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
YAY another thread about WRz

Lol exactly what I was thinking.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 882
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
If our QB can learn to see the field and make the right decision we are fine with what we have now. The WZ wants a WR in the 1st round every single year for 10 years in a row. It's their favorite position. They are Matt Millen.

LOL I love how you can separate you and your 34,000+ posts from the rest of the WZ
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
YAY another thread about WRz

Lol exactly what I was thinking.

Originally posted by DJamhour:
Brandin Cooks with 2nd (receptions 128... Yards 1730... Tds 16) - speed we need, could spread the field. Absolute perfect slot. Harvin/T. Austin type.
Donte Moncrief with 3rd/4th (receptions 59... Yards 938... Tds 6) reminds me of Crabtree but with more speed.
And Martavis Bryant with 3rd (receptions 42... Yards 828... Tds 7) receiver who didn't shine much due to being on same team as Watkins. But has height and speed ( athletic)

I think if we groom this set of receivers with Patton, well be set for a while. And if they do well, could just let crab/boldin test out free agency next year. I don't want either of them gone this year but if these rookies get it together with Patton. Then we Should keep cheap nice younger players to have more chances at Super Bowl runs for years to come.

This would be my favorite receiver package to come out with value, speed(slot) and stretch field, possesion type, and redzone threat, deep threat as well.. A lot are going for Matthews in first but he didn't shine much last week, and I feel Moncrief is very similiar in the 3/4th

I wrote this on my phone, might have some typos and what not


There's a search function, use it, stop creating b******t threads when we already have 4 or 5 on the EXACT same subject.
  • Liono
  • Member
  • Posts: 450
I love Marquise Lee, but I'd also spend a mid round pick on Josh Huff from Oregon. He seems to be flying under the radar, but he's got speed and toughness. He's a very good blocker on the edge, which is something the 49ers have always liked in a receiver. Guy has a lot of heart too, and a passion for winning.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
There's a search function, use it, stop creating b******t threads when we already have 4 or 5 on the EXACT same subject.

Don't even need a search function, just scroll, they're all on the 1st page. Lol.
  • Liono
  • Member
  • Posts: 450
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
YAY another thread about WRz

This