There are 54 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by buck:
Clemson's Sammy Watkins is talking loud and proud after a modest 2011

Interesting read.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20130630/TIGERSNOW/306300026/Bart-Wright-Stepping-Up-Clemson-s-Sammy-Watkins-is-talking-loud-and-proud-after-a-modest-2011?nclick_check=1


A WR talking loud & proud. Who woulda thought?
Sleeper WR of the 2014 class.... Paul Richardson from Colorado. Was the best offensive player on a horrible team 2 years ago, then tore his knee up last year. Colorado isnt expected to be that good so he will be under the radar but the kid has speed and talent. Needs to work on his route running but gets consistent separation and has good hands. Would be a solid pick in the 5-7th round range with allot of upside.
Harwell is great but has off the field problems,Coleman is probably my favorite because he's a possession receiver,Odell beckham jr is speed and only speed but that would be a nice contrast to Crabtree but if Jenkins gets better then we wouldn't need him.bottom line Coleman in round 2 would be great and the only reason he would fall is that he's not extremely fast.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Sleeper WR of the 2014 class.... Paul Richardson from Colorado. Was the best offensive player on a horrible team 2 years ago, then tore his knee up last year. Colorado isnt expected to be that good so he will be under the radar but the kid has speed and talent. Needs to work on his route running but gets consistent separation and has good hands. Would be a solid pick in the 5-7th round range with allot of upside.
I definitely looking forward to seeing him play again. I love his speed and quickness. He's the explosive player CU has seen in a long time. I've been away from Boulder for a few years and don't follow them like I used to. I was afraid he'd transfer. Is he coming into his junior season?
With AJ out of the picture, WR is a legitimate early target next year. Sammy Watkins is my guy. He's the total package, a "high character" guy, a rising star. He's only going to get better too. I hope we aggressively trade up for this guy.. I know it's way too early, but I think he's going to blow up this year and rise into the top-15.

Coaches seem to speak highly of him and he seems pretty mature and level headed. Not sure about his drug arrest. Innocent collage mistake?
[ Edited by strickac on Aug 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,766


We gonna need to move up in order to land one of this guys. Jordan Matthews remind me so much of Larry Fitzgerald.

Believe this or not, the Real Black Mamba is actually a faster with 10x better hands than Jessie Hester..
I'm a big fan of Clemson's Sammy Watkins, but I also really like Penn State's Allen Robinson.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/518204/allen-robinson
[ Edited by PTulini on Sep 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM ]
We need a Sammy Watkins to pair with Crabtree but picking 32nd we won't sniff one of the top 3 WR's.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
WR - Marquise Lee* USC, 6-1 195lbs, 4.4 speed

WR - Sammy Watkins*, Clemson, 6-1 200lbs, 4.43 speed

WR – Brandon Coleman*, Rutgers, 6-6 220lbs 4.47 speed

WR - Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt, 6-3 205lbs 4.45 speed

WR - Phillip Dorsett*, Miami, 5-10 186lbs 4.35 speed

WR – Allen Robinson*, Penn State, 6-3 201 lbs, 4.45 speed

WR – Donte Moncrief*, Ole Miss, 6-2 214 lbs, 4.43 speed

WR – Mike Davis, Texas, 6-2 193 lbs, 4.43 speed

WR – Cody Hoffman, BYU, 6-4 215lbs 4.45 speed

WR – Michael Campanaro, Wake Forest, 5-11 195lbs 4.47 speed

WR – Rashad Greene*, Florida State, 6-0 170lbs, 4.4 speed

WR – Brandin Cooks*, Oregon State, 5-10 179lbs, 4.38 speed

WR – Shaq Evans, UCLA, 6-1 201lbs, 4.38 speed

WR - Corey Brown, Ohio State, 6-0 187 lbs, 4.47 speed

WR - Odell Beckham Jr.*, LSU, 5-11 183 lbs 4.45 speed

WR – Brandon Carter*, TCU, 5-11 161lbs, 4.38 speed

WR - Cody Latimer*, Indiana, 6-3 208lbs 4.5 speed

WR – Austin Hill*, Arizona, 6-3 211lbs, 4.55 speed

WR – Mike Evans**, Texas A&M, 6-5 218lbs, 4.55 speed

WR – Kasen Williams*, Washington, 6-2 216lbs 4.55 speed

WR – Eric Ward, Texas Tech, 6-1 204lbs, 4.53 speed

WR - Josh Stewart, Oklahoma State, 5-10 178lbs, 4.5 speed

WR - Alex Amidon, Boston College, 5-11 186lbs, 4.55 speed



Ranked in order

Updated with height, weight, and my own estimate of speed from watching their games.
Don't care whose soul we have to sell, I want a Megatron. NOW.
[ Edited by communist on Sep 10, 2013 at 4:16 AM ]
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
WR - Marquise Lee* USC, 6-1 195lbs, 4.4 speed

WR - Sammy Watkins*, Clemson, 6-1 200lbs, 4.43 speed

WR – Brandon Coleman*, Rutgers, 6-6 220lbs 4.47 speed

WR - Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt, 6-3 205lbs 4.45 speed

WR - Phillip Dorsett*, Miami, 5-10 186lbs 4.35 speed

WR – Allen Robinson*, Penn State, 6-3 201 lbs, 4.45 speed

WR – Donte Moncrief*, Ole Miss, 6-2 214 lbs, 4.43 speed

WR – Mike Davis, Texas, 6-2 193 lbs, 4.43 speed

WR – Cody Hoffman, BYU, 6-4 215lbs 4.45 speed

WR – Michael Campanaro, Wake Forest, 5-11 195lbs 4.47 speed

WR – Rashad Greene*, Florida State, 6-0 170lbs, 4.4 speed

WR – Brandin Cooks*, Oregon State, 5-10 179lbs, 4.38 speed

WR – Shaq Evans, UCLA, 6-1 201lbs, 4.38 speed

WR - Corey Brown, Ohio State, 6-0 187 lbs, 4.47 speed

WR - Odell Beckham Jr.*, LSU, 5-11 183 lbs 4.45 speed

WR – Brandon Carter*, TCU, 5-11 161lbs, 4.38 speed

WR - Cody Latimer*, Indiana, 6-3 208lbs 4.5 speed

WR – Austin Hill*, Arizona, 6-3 211lbs, 4.55 speed

WR – Mike Evans**, Texas A&M, 6-5 218lbs, 4.55 speed

WR – Kasen Williams*, Washington, 6-2 216lbs 4.55 speed

WR – Eric Ward, Texas Tech, 6-1 204lbs, 4.53 speed

WR - Josh Stewart, Oklahoma State, 5-10 178lbs, 4.5 speed

WR - Alex Amidon, Boston College, 5-11 186lbs, 4.55 speed



Ranked in order

Updated with height, weight, and my own estimate of speed from watching their games.
Don't care whose soul we have to sell, I want a Megatron. NOW.


That would be Brandon Coleman !! This guy is a huge playmaker !!
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,023
Originally posted by Rascal:
That would be Brandon Coleman !! This guy is a huge playmaker !!

There are many games to play. Right now, after two games, Coleman is not in the top 100 wide receives in D1 football.

Maybe we could get him in the second or third round, but it is still very early to make any projections.
I actually don't think we go after a wide receiver that high unless they have some explosive ability in the return game. If we can extend Boldin, we will be pretty solid for 2014 with Q, a healthy Michael Crabtree (final year of his contract), Quinton Patton, and Johnathan Baldwin. It's still a possibility, but not an absolute necessity anymore. Especially with Vernon Davis being lined up at receiver more. I'm just hoping that Baldwin can turn into the big receiver some have been looking for.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 33,523
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I actually don't think we go after a wide receiver that high unless they have some explosive ability in the return game. If we can extend Boldin, we will be pretty solid for 2014 with Q, a healthy Michael Crabtree (final year of his contract), Quinton Patton, and Johnathan Baldwin. It's still a possibility, but not an absolute necessity anymore. Especially with Vernon Davis being lined up at receiver more. I'm just hoping that Baldwin can turn into the big receiver some have been looking for.

Agreed!!!

I think the receiving core is pretty much set. I would expect Baalke to take care of the Safety position in the next draft. Also think they will look to add another CB. Rogers and Brown might be gone next year and there's no guarantee that Asomugha will be back too.

What I'd like to see to is Baalke draft a kicker, one that can grow with this team. Really wanted Dustin Hopkins last year.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I actually don't think we go after a wide receiver that high unless they have some explosive ability in the return game. If we can extend Boldin, we will be pretty solid for 2014 with Q, a healthy Michael Crabtree (final year of his contract), Quinton Patton, and Johnathan Baldwin. It's still a possibility, but not an absolute necessity anymore. Especially with Vernon Davis being lined up at receiver more. I'm just hoping that Baldwin can turn into the big receiver some have been looking for.

Agreed!!!

I think the receiving core is pretty much set. I would expect Baalke to take care of the Safety position in the next draft. Also think they will look to add another CB. Rogers and Brown might be gone next year and there's no guarantee that Asomugha will be back too.

What I'd like to see to is Baalke draft a kicker, one that can grow with this team. Really wanted Dustin Hopkins last year.

This. I expect no issues with Dawson, but he will be pretty expensive. It would be great to have a rookie kicker, with a nice rookie contract, that is just as automatic.
3 guys I want is Matthews, Lee, and Watkins. I am willing to trade up for those 3. If not, I can be content with a mid round receiver with potential.