There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

• pd24
  • Veteran
Or Maybe Cooks in the 2nd and Colman in the late 3rd or 4th.
Originally posted by pd24:
I think we should have a mix. I would take 2 WR's this draft and I would go Brandin Cooks and Martavis Bryant, both in round 2. Maybe Bryant in the 3rd, but I think he has a good combine and he gets to a 2nd round spot.

Yup. I'd draft one really fast and quick guy and then another guy that is big and fast.
I think the Super Bowl will give a good indication how to prepare for the Seahawks. The Broncos have speed, quickness, height and strength in their receivers. It will be interesting to see how Manning spreads the field. If Peyton can't unlock the Hawks D the NFC West is in big trouble. The D should be spread out so far that the running lanes should be wide open for the Broncos. If the running game is a go early, and it should be, the Broncos prevail.
I really think the Niners best move at receiver is to first off re sign Boldin and I truly believe they will. That sets up the season as of right now Crabtree Boldin Patton. Crabtree and Boldin are physical receivers Patton looked like a decent down the field receiver. I think the Niners should draft 2 wide receivers. One down field complete receiver who can get deep and make big plays down field, And later in the draft get a fast shifty receiver for the slot. That would make teams pay all over the field Boldin and Crabtree to keep drives going being the 1st down machines that they are. The rookie and Patton to throw to down field. And the slot guy that can take short passes for long gains. That and ROMAN PLEASE THROW SCREENS to Lattimore or Hunter our offense needs that. Our offense needs something like this next season. Throw in Davis and hopefully improvement from Mcdonald and Kaepernick being able to see all these open guys our team will be better than the last 3 seasons.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Jan 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM ]
What you need is an offensive game plan. We have a 100 different ways to run the ball with creative formations and blockers in motion, you name it. Our passing game is very vanilla.

We could put speed receivers in motion to make it harder to stop them at the line. We can stack receivers at the line to make it harder to try and jam both. We could put Vernon Davis out wide as a lone receiver. Who wants to jam him and cover him one on one? He's bigger , stronger and faster than anyone seattle has. If you want to jam him you had better have a safety over the top. That would give our 2 WR's on the other side single coverage and they wouldn't dare try to jam both at the line. How do you play 1 deep safety in the middle against that formation? We need more speed but we also need a better game plan.

Seattle is a great team but they are beatable, especially on the road. It is a huge advantage to be home and have the offensive line wearing earplugs. How are you supposed to get off on a snap count to drive block in the run or pass protect. Huge advantage. I remember the days when the officials would stop the game and insist the crowd quiet down or they would give the home team a 5 yard penalty. Now we are allowing a team like seattle to specifically design their stadium to increase crowd noise. What the hell. Loud fans are 1 thing but that is going to far and should be against the league rules.

Every year we hear the rumblings that Roman will be offered a head coaching job. The offensive coordinator for a team that went to 3 straight championship games including a superbowl. Yet he is still here. Maybe the rest of the league isn't that impressed with our offensive game plans.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You really need to stop trolling.

I know this board is more active bro but you should just post more on the misc and avoid these blind fools
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
What you need is an offensive game plan. We have a 100 different ways to run the ball with creative formations and blockers in motion, you name it. Our passing game is very vanilla.

We could put speed receivers in motion to make it harder to stop them at the line. We can stack receivers at the line to make it harder to try and jam both. We could put Vernon Davis out wide as a lone receiver. Who wants to jam him and cover him one on one? He's bigger , stronger and faster than anyone seattle has. If you want to jam him you had better have a safety over the top. That would give our 2 WR's on the other side single coverage and they wouldn't dare try to jam both at the line. How do you play 1 deep safety in the middle against that formation? We need more speed but we also need a better game plan.

Seattle is a great team but they are beatable, especially on the road. It is a huge advantage to be home and have the offensive line wearing earplugs. How are you supposed to get off on a snap count to drive block in the run or pass protect. Huge advantage. I remember the days when the officials would stop the game and insist the crowd quiet down or they would give the home team a 5 yard penalty. Now we are allowing a team like seattle to specifically design their stadium to increase crowd noise. What the hell. Loud fans are 1 thing but that is going to far and should be against the league rules.

Every year we hear the rumblings that Roman will be offered a head coaching job. The offensive coordinator for a team that went to 3 straight championship games including a superbowl. Yet he is still here. Maybe the rest of the league isn't that impressed with our offensive game plans.

Agreed with everything you said. Good post. If we were as creative in the passing game as we are in the running game, we could really be a very difficult offense to stop.

And yeah the noise in Seattle is ridiculous. Fans should not be able to impact a game to the point that the offense can't even communicate with one another because they can't hear. They seriously need to install mics in all offensive players helmets so they can at least f**king talk to each other and hear each other. Either that, or every NFL stadium needs to be designed like Seattle's to contain that kind of noise. Oh and every NFL secondary should hold like Seattle's as well and they better call it the same way. Need to even the playing field. Getting very off topic, but I get so worked up over the things they get away with and how big of an advantage they have with these shady tactics.
But back to receiver talk...

I like Allen Robinson or Jordan Matthews if we go WR in round 1.

Brandin Cooks or Jarvis Landry in the 2nd.

Bruce Ellington, Paul Richardson, Robert Herron or Donte Moncfrief in the 3/4 range.

Like Latimer later and really growing on the idea of taking Dri Archer to turn our special teams into a deadly unit via returns. Would take him with our 4th rounder.

Would love to see Ellington as a 49er.
Originally posted by genus49:
But back to receiver talk...

I like Allen Robinson or Jordan Matthews if we go WR in round 1.

Brandin Cooks or Jarvis Landry in the 2nd.

Bruce Ellington, Paul Richardson, Robert Herron or Donte Moncfrief in the 3/4 range.

Like Latimer later and really growing on the idea of taking Dri Archer to turn our special teams into a deadly unit via returns. Would take him with our 4th rounder.

Would love to see Ellington as a 49er.

Good way to break it down, genus. Here's my list of WR's that I think will be available when and who I would take if I was the Niners GM

1st round Allen Robinson or Brandin Cooks

2nd round Jordan Matthews or Davante Adams

3rd round Robert Herron or Josh Huff

4th Round Donte Moncrief or TJ Jones

5th Round Cody Latimer

6th Round L'Damian Washington or Josh Stewart

7th Round Dri Archer or Quincy Enunwa (SAK)
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Agreed with everything you said. Good post. If we were as creative in the passing game as we are in the running game, we could really be a very difficult offense to stop.

And yeah the noise in Seattle is ridiculous. Fans should not be able to impact a game to the point that the offense can't even communicate with one another because they can't hear. They seriously need to install mics in all offensive players helmets so they can at least f**king talk to each other and hear each other. Either that, or every NFL stadium needs to be designed like Seattle's to contain that kind of noise. Oh and every NFL secondary should hold like Seattle's as well and they better call it the same way. Need to even the playing field. Getting very off topic, but I get so worked up over the things they get away with and how big of an advantage they have with these shady tactics.

You really want to get mad?

Seattle specifically designs their stadium to increase crowd noise.

Their defensive game plan is to purposefully hold because they know it will only be called about 10% of the time and even them it's just a measly 5 yards.

They lead the league in penalties.

They lead the league in busts for illegal performance enhancing substances.

This season we lost 3 players to season ending injuries that were " rolled up on". Injured because opposing players went into their legs from the side or behind. All 3 happened against seattle. Not 1 in the other 16 games we played but 3 in the 3 seattle games. The rest of the league the odds are less than 1 every 16 games but vs seattle 1 every game. Is that by design or just coincedence?

Not seeing a whole lot of character in this organization.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Our scouting department can't figure out the WR situation it's McCloughan and Baalke. Since this current scouting staff has been here WR had been a fail. Imagine if Raiders and Jets were competent, I include Jets because if they don't trade up I can see us taking Sanchez, we wouldn't even have Crabtree. Lelie, Moss, Ginn Jr, Hill, Bruce, Williams, Jenkins, Braylon, plus a few others. Balmer over D Jackson still stings. Didn't get VJax here. Boldin was a her Jim sorry I beat you gift from John. I have no faith in our scouting department when it comes to WR talent.

Roman on the other hand has not helped for as creative he is at drawing up runs he is equally bad in passing game. That's why last 3 years with 2 different QBs and still near the bottom of league in passing yards for each year he's been here. Why draft a guy like LaMichael James and have no plays to get him in space? As for not getting a head coach position I can't say its due to his passing offense (remember McCarthy's run, run, run, punt offense. He got a job and a 4000 yard QB). I think the job thing is due to how late we play in the season more than his talent.

This draft we could draft 3 WR and still have more picks then most other teams to bolster depth.

Their defensive game plan is to purposefully hold because they know it will only be called about 10% of the time and even them it's just a measly 5 yards.

This season we lost 3 players to season ending injuries that were " rolled up on". Injured because opposing players went into their legs from the side or behind. All 3 happened against seattle. Not 1 in the other 16 games we played but 3 in the 3 seattle games. The rest of the league the odds are less than 1 every 16 games but vs seattle 1 every game. Is that by design or just coincedence?

Oh believe me, I know all of this. They are a dirty ass cheating organization. Everywhere Pete the cheat has been, there has been cheating going on. Cheaters and classless people like them in the end never win. It'll catch up with them. Karma is coming for those punks.
I have been looking at Crook a lot for the exact reasons outlined in this thread. I was thinking Evans or Benjamin but I think the quicker guys may be better against Seattle.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Abracadabra?
Everytime I'm reading Moncrief, I must think about queefs

thats a you problem

Sherman proved it even more..Seattle as a whole has no class and are dirty players who cheat..now as for wr like this thread is about..what we need is a big fast athletic player who takes the top off defenses and provides crabtree and boldin relief as possession receivers who have great hands and run great routes..i love Allen Robinson who should run in the 4.5s..also if we happen to trade up for a receiver it has to be either Lee or if possible which I doubt Watkins..i see us trading up but for a cb in the 1st..then addressing receiver in the 2nd..ill take Allen Robinson..then Martavis Bryant in the 4th who I think will kill the combine..
[ Edited by jersey49er on Jan 28, 2014 at 7:23 PM ]