There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

So dose anyone know if WR Mike Davis of Texas a speed guy ??? Maybe a 3rd comp pick if we dont get beckham or cook...
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
So dose anyone know if WR Mike Davis of Texas a speed guy ??? Maybe a 3rd comp pick if we dont get beckham or cook...

He is listed at 4.52 by CBS...not sure where they get their stats, they don't have them for everyone so it must be team generated.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Simple answer. I want somebody that can go up and over every DB. And having somebody that can KO Sherman would be nice!!

So, you want a strong short wide receiver who jumps really high and hits like a ton of bricks.
Which wide receivers have put up the greatest production against the best competition? Out of those guys, which wide receivers have the best combination of speed and quickness.

To beat Seattle's DBs, we need to target a receiver that has been very successful against the top competition and is also very quick and fast. Sammy Watkins is one guy I know that meets these requirements. We probably don't have a shot at trading up for him. Mike Evans, the next wide receiver on a lot of peoples boards, does not meet these requirements.

What other guys have the combination of production vs high level competition and great speed and quickness?
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I think speed has little to do with it. We need a big guy that can run, but doesn;t have to be a 4.3 or 4.4 guy. We need a big WR that is stronger than those big DB's. Like a 6'3'' or 6'4'' Boldin.
So, Boldin impressed you with his strength against Seattle? Or Crabtree?

If we get a receiver, who really can use his speed, he won't need to be very strong because the DBs won't touch him at all
Originally posted by communist:

If we get a receiver, who really can use his speed, he won't need to be very strong because the DBs won't touch him at all

No. They will just maul him at the line of scrimmage and he won't even get 5 yards.
Originally posted by pd24:
I think speed has little to do with it. We need a big guy that can run, but doesn;t have to be a 4.3 or 4.4 guy. We need a big WR that is stronger than those big DB's. Like a 6'3'' or 6'4'' Boldin.

See I don't think so. Their corners are big, but they're not very fast or quick. You just play right into their game if you have tall receivers that aren't all that quick. Jimmy Graham is 6'6 and he was shut down. You need a guy that is fast and quick. TY Hilton tore them up. Now I'd love to get a guy that is 6'5 and fast and quick, but there aren't that many of those.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

See I don't think so. Their corners are big, but they're not very fast or quick. You just play right into their game if you have tall receivers that aren't all that quick. Jimmy Graham is 6'6 and he was shut down. You need a guy that is fast and quick. TY Hilton tore them up. Now I'd love to get a guy that is 6'5 and fast and quick, but there aren't that many of those.

TY Hilton has a QB who can read the field, go through progressions and make an accurate throw from the pocket.....
  • pd24
  • Veteran

but if he were 6'3'' or 6'4'' (or 6'5'' like Evans or Benjamin), you could throw a jump ball. The SEA DB's play solid and it is hard to beat them with speed. You need size on the outside and speed mixed in with a 3rd WR.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

TY Hilton has a QB who can read the field, go through progressions and make an accurate throw from the pocket.....

True. Kap has been way too inconsistent. He really needs to improve in those areas over the offseason. We still don't have any super fast and quick guys though. Quinton Patton is the closest thing we have to being that guy.

but if he were 6'3'' or 6'4'' (or 6'5'' like Evans or Benjamin), you could throw a jump ball. The SEA DB's play solid and it is hard to beat them with speed. You need size on the outside and speed mixed in with a 3rd WR.

We already have a 6'4 wide receiver in Baldwin who never saw the field unfortunately. I would like to see more jump balls, but you do that against smaller dbs, not 6'3 ones.

True. Kap has been way too inconsistent. He really needs to improve in those areas over the offseason. We still don't have any super fast and quick guys though. Quinton Patton is the closest thing we have to being that guy.

Yes. I hope he can improve those areas. IMO he would not look for a fast WR right now anyway. He would just stare down Crabtree. Hopefully he can improve that and work on those things this offseason.

Yes. I hope he can improve those areas. IMO he would not look for a fast WR right now anyway. He would just stare down Crabtree. Hopefully he can improve that and work on those things this offseason.

Yeah but we have to assume that he is going to stop doing that. Otherwise, we might as well not make any moves at receiver and focus everywhere else, if we don't have any faith that Kap will get better at his progressions.
I think where it startz is better scouting N a better WR coach ...we all believe our D-line is tha best so why is that JIM TOMSULA A GREAT COACH....better scoutz better WR coach N Jordan Matthews will help in fixin everythin