There are 63 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Man im done messing with them midget 6"3+ 215lbz+ WRz I want them 6"6+ 300+lbz WRz like Joe Staley ...

Gotta say, he moved pretty good for a tackle, showed solid hands, now you just know Roman will be lining him up out wide like 3 times a game.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 31, 2013 at 1:57 PM ]
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
AJ Jenkins put up big #'s in college. Look at his college stats. So did Jason Hill in college.

What Keenan Allen, Alshon Jeffries, and Josh Gordon prove IMO is BIG WR's succeed in the NFL. 6'2" + and 215 lbs. +. You want to be at least or north of those 2 #'s if you want a real dominant guy.

Even Anquan Boldin sort of fits that profile. Ok so he is 6'1". But he is 225 lbs. - 230 lbs. of all muscle and he uses it. He is actually not far from that profile btw. Neither is Crabtree interestingly. 6'1" 215 lbs. Not far at all from that prototype.

Wes Welker, Steve Smith, Victor Cruz, T.Y. Hilton, and a whole host of others indicate measurables don't mean much. Not to mention all of the highly drafted big WR's who haven't done much of anything: Jon Baldwin, Stephen Hill, etc.

It's not how big you are or how fast you are. It's how good a football player you are. There's more to the game than measurables.

One red flag on Jenkins is that he only produced big numbers one year out of four at Illinois.

Steve Smith is an exception and not the rule. He's also blazing fast. Wes Welker is not that great IMO. Look at the QB's he has played with. They make anybody look good. Victor Cruz is not really tiny smurf like. He's of normal size. And blazing fast with good hands.

Look at the pro bowl rosters 9 / 10 years. They are mostly big WR's. Look at the best guys in the game. Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Josh Gordon, Larry Fitzgerald. Big guys. Our own Anquan Boldin and Crabtree are not small. Certainly not on weight. And they are both at least 6'1". They are not small guys. And they tend to be the guys not getting thrown around like rag dolls by the Seahawks secondary. You want big, strong guys.

Would you rather have Calvin Johnson or Wes Welker?

Josh Gordon or Steve Smith?

Answer those.....
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 31, 2013 at 5:56 PM ]
@SchadJoe: Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks, the nation's leading receiver, plans to announce he'll enter the next NFL Draft
Originally posted by PTulini:
@SchadJoe: Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks, the nation's leading receiver, plans to announce he'll enter the next NFL Draft

Yes!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,196
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Man im done messing with them midget 6"3+ 215lbz+ WRz I want them 6"6+ 300+lbz WRz like Joe Staley ...

Gotta say, he moved pretty good for a tackle, showed solid hands, now you just know Roman will be lining him up out wide like 3 times a game.

he played TE in high school and I think may have been recruited as TE. Rivals had him as 2 star TE and only shows Central MIchigan for interested schools. Glad they got him to go to LT lol.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by PTulini:
@SchadJoe: Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks, the nation's leading receiver, plans to announce he'll enter the next NFL Draft

Yes!

Love to see his combine #s
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Steve Smith is an exception and not the rule. He's also blazing fast. Wes Welker is not that great IMO. Look at the QB's he has played with. They make anybody look good. Victor Cruz is not really tiny smurf like. He's of normal size. And blazing fast with good hands.

Look at the pro bowl rosters 9 / 10 years. They are mostly big WR's. Look at the best guys in the game. Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Josh Gordon, Larry Fitzgerald. Big guys. Our own Anquan Boldin and Crabtree are not small. Certainly not on weight. And they are both at least 6'1". They are not small guys. And they tend to be the guys not getting thrown around like rag dolls by the Seahawks secondary. You want big, strong guys.

Would you rather have Calvin Johnson or Wes Welker?

Josh Gordon or Steve Smith?

Answer those.....

Here's the thing, most of those guys you mentioned are confirmed super-freaks, where did Calvin Johnson get drafted again? AJ Green? Larry Fitzgerald? Andre Johnson? Its one thing to be a big WR, another thing to be immensely skilled and have tremendous size and speed, those guys rarely fall very far the draft boards. Beyond that, there's plenty of Jon Baldwin's that lure people in with their size and athletic ability even if their skills are lacking as a receiver.


Give me a skilled route runner with good hands over a guy who's big, fast and sloppy anyday. Jon Baldwin's size hasn't helped him much, chillaxing on the sidelines, unable to break into the lineup. Or look at Stephen Hill(big, super fast, super athletic freak) vs Marvin Jones, 6'1", average speed, good hands, very precise route runner. Which guy do you take now?


Size quite frankly is overrated, big and fast means jack s**t if the guy can't catch, big and slow isn't good either. I don't want the best athlete, I want the best receiver period.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM ]
@Djjango8 (Penn State's Allen Robinson): Welp, it's been real
Originally posted by PTulini:
@Djjango8 (Penn State's Allen Robinson): Welp, it's been real

That's one of my favorite guys along with Donte Moncrief for a mid-late 2nd round selection.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by PTulini:
@Djjango8 (Penn State's Allen Robinson): Welp, it's been real

That's one of my favorite guys along with Donte Moncrief for a mid-late 2nd round selection.

He's my favorite WR available if he declares (which I assume he will) for this draft.
[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 31, 2013 at 10:13 PM ]
Doubt he enters this year, but Duke's Jamison Crowder is a guy to keep an eye on. Has been really good the last 2 years. And this year became the 1st ACC player have have 100 catches in a season, all while setting Duke season receiving records.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by strickac:
Draft on performance, not measurables. Patton (and Keenan Allen, Alshon Jeffries, and many others) showing that gamers show up on game day.

AJ Jenkins put up big #'s in college. Look at his college stats. So did Jason Hill in college.

What Keenan Allen, Alshon Jeffries, and Josh Gordon prove IMO is BIG WR's succeed in the NFL. 6'2" and 215 lbs. . You want to be at least or north of those 2 #'s if you want a real dominant guy.

Even Anquan Boldin sort of fits that profile. Ok so he is 6'1". But he is 225 lbs. - 230 lbs. of all muscle and he uses it. He is actually not far from that profile btw. Neither is Crabtree interestingly. 6'1" 215 lbs. Not far at all from that prototype.


Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Man im done messing with them midget 6"3+ 215lbz+ WRz I want them 6"6+ 300+lbz WRz like Joe Staley ...

Gotta say, he moved pretty good for a tackle, showed solid hands, now you just know Roman will be lining him up out wide like 3 times a game.

Funny thing is, IF they are going to do a gimmick play like that, I don't mind Staley being lined up as an eligible receiver. I told someone last week, if they are going to go that route, Staley is the best option. He's pretty athletic and was recruited to Central Michigan as a tight end.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Doubt he enters this year, but Duke's Jamison Crowder is a guy to keep an eye on. Has been really good the last 2 years. And this year became the 1st ACC player have have 100 catches in a season, all while setting Duke season receiving records.

He is returning for his senior season
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by PTulini:
@Djjango8 (Penn State's Allen Robinson): Welp, it's been real

That's one of my favorite guys along with Donte Moncrief for a mid-late 2nd round selection.

He's my favorite WR available if he declares (which I assume he will) for this draft.

With the departure of Bill O'Brien I expect him to enter the NFL draft. 2 Wrs that should be 49ers are Allen Robinson & Davante Adams
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by PTulini:
@Djjango8 (Penn State's Allen Robinson): Welp, it's been real

That's one of my favorite guys along with Donte Moncrief for a mid-late 2nd round selection.

He's my favorite WR available if he declares (which I assume he will) for this draft.

With the departure of Bill O'Brien I expect him to enter the NFL draft. 2 Wrs that should be 49ers are Allen Robinson & Davante Adams

You called it Allen Robinson has declared