LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 336 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm curious to know for those who are willing to move up in the draft, what is the highest you are willing to move up for a receiver, and consequently, what picks would you be willing to give up (a second only, a third only, second and third, next year's first, etc)?
nothing. only positions I would move up forare QB, o-line, d-line, pass-rushing olb.
and especially in this year the wr-class is deep enough to wait.

of course, i am talking about big jumps. not small ones, like 2 picks up in the first.
[ Edited by communist on Dec 29, 2013 at 3:41 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
How far do you think we'll have to move to get a player like Dennard? I'm thinking top 10-15.

Not sure the need for a cornerback is great as many feel.
If we sign both Eric Wright and Donte Whitner to three year deals, and lose T. Brown our depth chart looks something like this.

Cornerback

Brock, Tramaine--free agent in 2019
Wright, Eric—free agent in 2016
Rogers, Carlos—free agent in 2016
Morris, Darryl—free agent in 2016
Culliver, Chris—free agent in 2015

That may not be ideal, but compare it to what we have at Safety.

Reid, Eric—free agent in 2017
Whitner, Donte—free agent in 2016
Dahl, Craig—free agent in 2016
Spillman, C.J.—free agent in 2015
Ventrone, Bubba—free agent in 2015

Reed and Whitner are fine, but we have no solid depth at Safety.

I feel that Spillman, Ventrone, and Dahl are predominately special team players.

I have no problem with picking a corner in this draft, but in my estimation our needs at safety and wide receiver are much more critical.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Originally posted by buck:
Not sure the need for a cornerback is great as many feel.
If we sign both Eric Wright and Donte Whitner to three year deals, and lose T. Brown our depth chart looks something like this.

Cornerback

Brock, Tramaine--free agent in 2019
Wright, Eric—free agent in 2016
Rogers, Carlos—free agent in 2016
Morris, Darryl—free agent in 2016
Culliver, Chris—free agent in 2015

That may not be ideal, but compare it to what we have at Safety.

Reid, Eric—free agent in 2017
Whitner, Donte—free agent in 2016
Dahl, Craig—free agent in 2016
Spillman, C.J.—free agent in 2015
Ventrone, Bubba—free agent in 2015

Reed and Whitner are fine, but we have no solid depth at Safety.

I feel that Spillman, Ventrone, and Dahl are predominately special team players.

I have no problem with picking a corner in this draft, but in my estimation our needs at safety and wide receiver are much more critical.

Just my 2 cents worth.

There's no way we keep Rogers with that cap number. Cully is coming off a knee injury, and Morris has been pretty much only a ST guy. I think CB is a greater need than you are thinking. So Brock, Wright (if he resigns), and a coming off injury Culliver are our CBs. Looks mighty thin.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:
There's no way we keep Rogers with that cap number. Cully is coming off a knee injury, and Morris has been pretty much only a ST guy. I think CB is a greater need than you are thinking. So Brock, Wright (if he resigns), and a coming off injury Culliver are our CBs. Looks mighty thin.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Do you think that we have more depth at corner back than we do at safety?
I do not, but I have been wrong before--and often.

The team has proven to be pretty good with the cap, so there is a good chance that Rogers does not have to go.
He would be at least a solid back up.

If Wright does not come back, the need for a corner will increase.

A lot of these questions will be answered before the draft.
First five or six picks should include: WR, S, CB, WR, NT, OT...depending on what FAcy brings. If they draft a safety high, as they did with Reid, then they may let Whitner go...or sign him to a lower cap number. Same could be true of Boldin but I really hope they can keep both to help their replacements ease into the jobs. They need back ups at CB if Culliver comes back strong. They don't seem to have the same desire for a NT so they will probably take a DT to groom in case Justin and McDonald begin to wane. OT is a need but they seem to want a more versatile guy there, hence Snyder.

But if there are surprises? A true back up to CK? Perhaps another 2nd or a 3rd rounder? Another OLB to solidify the pass rush? Lemonier, Brooks and Aldon seem able to man that post--but having a fourth guy who can chase QBs would be a luxury this team can afford. With Aldon's record it may be wise.
  • buck
  • Veteran
If you are interested in big receivers, there is one you might not have heard of playing in the EW Shrine game.

Seantavius Jones Valdosta St 6-3 200

This year he has played in 10 games. He has 55 receptions for 777 yards and 13 touchdowns.

He averages 15.68 per reception.

He has a highlight reel (I do not know how to embed a video in the post)

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/700934/highlights/7730375
[ Edited by buck on Dec 29, 2013 at 8:38 AM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
If you are interested in big receivers, there is one you might not have heard of playing in the EW Shrine game.

This year he has played in 10 games. He has 55 receptions for 777 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Dudes name lol
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:

Dudes name lol

LOL! I haven't laughed that hard in a while.....Dan Smith.....BYU

Draft on performance, not measurables. Patton (and Keenan Allen, Alshon Jeffries, and many others) showing that gamers show up on game day.
http://firstroundgrade.com/wide-receivers/

Originally posted by strickac:
Draft on performance, not measurables. Patton (and Keenan Allen, Alshon Jeffries, and many others) showing that gamers show up on game day.

AJ Jenkins put up big #'s in college. Look at his college stats. So did Jason Hill in college.

What Keenan Allen, Alshon Jeffries, and Josh Gordon prove IMO is BIG WR's succeed in the NFL. 6'2" + and 215 lbs. +. You want to be at least or north of those 2 #'s if you want a real dominant guy.

Even Anquan Boldin sort of fits that profile. Ok so he is 6'1". But he is 225 lbs. - 230 lbs. of all muscle and he uses it. He is actually not far from that profile btw. Neither is Crabtree interestingly. 6'1" 215 lbs. Not far at all from that prototype.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
AJ Jenkins put up big #'s in college. Look at his college stats. So did Jason Hill in college.

What Keenan Allen, Alshon Jeffries, and Josh Gordon prove IMO is BIG WR's succeed in the NFL. 6'2" + and 215 lbs. +. You want to be at least or north of those 2 #'s if you want a real dominant guy.

Even Anquan Boldin sort of fits that profile. Ok so he is 6'1". But he is 225 lbs. - 230 lbs. of all muscle and he uses it. He is actually not far from that profile btw. Neither is Crabtree interestingly. 6'1" 215 lbs. Not far at all from that prototype.

Wes Welker, Steve Smith, Victor Cruz, T.Y. Hilton, and a whole host of others indicate measurables don't mean much. Not to mention all of the highly drafted big WR's who haven't done much of anything: Jon Baldwin, Stephen Hill, etc.

It's not how big you are or how fast you are. It's how good a football player you are. There's more to the game than measurables.

One red flag on Jenkins is that he only produced big numbers one year out of four at Illinois.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Dec 31, 2013 at 6:19 AM ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
http://firstroundgrade.com/wide-receivers/

I agree with their grades for the most part. The change I would make as far as that and the rankings would be (for my top 10 at least):

1. Sammy Watkins
2. Kelvin Benjamin
3. Marquise Lee
4. Allen Robinson
5. Donte Moncrief
6. Davante Adams
7. Jordan Matthews
8. Mike Evans
9. Odell Beckham
10. Brandin Cooks

So Jon Baldwin should be straight tearing s**t up since being big is the only thing that matters, right?

Also, someone needs to let Antonio Brown's midget ass know that. Dude's 5'10 and 185 pounds, what the hell is he doing being 2nd in the NFL in receiving yards?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

So Jon Baldwin should be straight tearing s**t up since being big is the only thing that matters, right?

Also, someone needs to let Antonio Brown's midget ass know that. Dude's 5'10 and 185 pounds, what the hell is he doing being 2nd in the NFL in receiving yards?

Man im done messing with them midget 6"3+ 215lbz+ WRz I want them 6"6+ 300+lbz WRz like Joe Staley ...
Share 49ersWebzone